Video: Broaddus: There's a divide in the Cowboys war room about Surtain and Horn

ESisback

Reaction score
I cringe @ the idea of this coaching staff having any input on draft picks. Just shut up and coach. :popcorn:

Starting to get the vibe McCarthy is nothing but a Green Bay mole to keep sabotaging us.

@Marcus Rock would LOVE this post!

Sheepherder

Reaction score
It sounds like scheme versus talent, coaches with their scheme/teachability perspective and priority, and scouts approaching it from a capability standpoint. Much like what we talk about around here, the classical debate.

For me, talent should change the scheme, but quite often lately, talented players play out of position in Dallas
I say trade down and get the best players available.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure McClay was only over personnel when we drafted Jones. However, we don't know how much coaches might have even influenced that pick. I'm of the mind that you hire personnel guys to study personnel. You hire coaches to use that personnel. The coaches should have a say in what they are looking for and the personnel guys should find the best fit for it. If it comes down to a difference in opinions, you trust the guys whose job it is to study these players and identify the best one. If they aren't good at the job, then you look for someone who is.

Coaches can be great at their job while still being bad at identifying talents. Personnel guys' job is to be good at identifying talent.

In 2008, McClay was with the Dallas Despardos, which as we all know, is owned by Jerry. If I am not mistaken, and I don't think I am, McClay was helping the Cowboys with Scouting during that period of time. He would join the Cowboys as Player Personnel/Pro Scouting Department the very next year. I am positive that he was involved with evaluations at the time but, lets say he wasn't just for the sake of discussion, he was completely involved with the other two and there is no doubt about that. However, it doesn't change the fact that we've basically blown three top 1st round picks on DBs and that's hard to do, to be honest.

I would also tell you that if its a situation where you have two players that are basically ranked same, same on your evaluation, it absolutely should be the Coaching Staffs call. It should not be the Scouting departments call. I mean, how does that make any sense? You have two guys that are ranked the same and you are going to let your Scouts make the call? Yeah, no. That's not even kinda smart. The talent has already been identified. Once that happens, it's up to the Coaching Staff to evaluate the talent and make the call. That's how it should work, at that point, Scouting should be out of the picture, they've done their jobs.

But, as we all know, it will ultimately be Jerry who makes the pick.

Redline360

Reaction score
Horn has the higher upside however he is going to be a flag generating machine in the nfl

Is he worth the gamble is the question

basel90

Reaction score
Coaches want Horn. Scouts want Surtain.

Quinn should be given the right to shop for the grocery to fix this team . Marineli and Ryan were so out of place and bundled the whole selection process : Taco , Hill , LVE etc erc

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Scouts scout and coaches coach. If you aren't going to trust your scouts then why have them?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
OK, but this doesn't say that Surtain is the better fit. It says that he fits. I mean, we've all pretty much acknowledge that, both of these guys are talented CBs. That doesn't really surprise me but who is the better fit, that's really the question and if that's the reasoning being used, then I'd like to see justification for that because I don't agree with Surtain over Horn, at all in Quinn's system.

Having said all this, I don't want a CB at 10. Go figure.......
IMO its who has the biggest impact and influence.
The argument can be made that Pitts would be, instant matchup nightmare for every opposing defense.
Surtain fills the immediate need, but the question is can we get somewhat comparable value with a trade down.
Slater is the nice pick that cant be hated on if the bottom drops out and another slight trade back prospect.
If Sewell is somehow there you just make the pick and roll on to day 2.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think in the case of a tie, go with the coaches.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Both Sewell and Slater have the potential to be all-pro LT. But the way Slater dominated lineman in college wasn't fair.

Slater is a stud! I’m afraid though that Carolina will take him and I’m hoping a QB hungry team moves into their spot.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont think there is much debate,Coaches win most of the time and they are taking Horn over Surtain.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I gotta go with the coaches. I know, Rod wanted Taco......but you hire a new staff, let them have some ownership.

I disagree. I guarantee you right now we could find a place for TJ Watt to play on this team. Guarantee it. You can always find a spot for great players on a sports team. Screw the scheme give me the best player.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I seem to recall reports of Jeff Ireland wanting Ware and Parcells wanting Spears. Jerry sided with Ireland and Dallas drafted Ware ahead of Spears whom we ended up getting as well. Ireland made a strong case for taking Ware and McCray will need to make a strong argument to get Surtain.