Broncos bench Russell Wilson for contract reasons

Blitzen

Reaction score
That's pathetic you're in the middle of a playoff push.
Teams want higher highs than simply making the playoffs. Some teams. Payton and the front office see that the team’s trajectory is sideways maybe with a slightly downward carry with Wilson.

This decision is for 3-4 years in the future. Start a big time rebuild now, while giving a couple young guys a chance. Otherwise, it just delays the inevitable. Smart moves can mean cut your losses before they can get even worse.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Teams want higher highs than simply making the playoffs. Some teams. Payton and the front office see that the team’s trajectory is sideways maybe with a slightly downward carry with Wilson.

This decision is for 3-4 years in the future. Start a big time rebuild now, while giving a couple young guys a chance. Otherwise, it just delays the inevitable. Smart moves can mean cut your losses before they can get even worse.
You tell me how this makes sense….you start off 0-3….and then decide to win games? Why would you give up week16 as opposed to week 4?

This is not his contenders are built. Before you can be a SB contender you need to show you can win. Giving up on seasons is why some teams never get over the hump.

Blitzen

Reaction score
You tell me how this makes sense….you start off 0-3….and then decide to win games? Why would you give up week16 as opposed to week 4?

This is not his contenders are built. Before you can be a SB contender you need to show you can win. Giving up on seasons is why some teams never get over the hump.
This is what happens when a team weighs lots of factors and the major decision maker (in this case, Payton) chooses to cut bait and start over (for a long rebuild).

Sounds like the squad did not want to continue with him when it became apparent they would not likely make the playoffs. They might have made more moves earlier, but the team started winning and they let it continue to play out.

It also sounds like Payton was just not sold on a future with Russell Wilson, despite the fairly attractive stats. Like the Chiefs deciding that making the playoffs routinely with Alex Smith was not going to somehow advance them in the postseason-they took a risk and it paid off (though lots of times these decisions turn out terribly). I think Payton sees that the team might become marginally better with some other additions, but ultimately would never rise above also ran status (this is a major shake up and risk). The dead cap they will take on is so absurd, but I think they want a tear down to the studs type of rebuild. You can bet that Dallas will never gamble that big.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is what happens when a team weighs lots of factors and the major decision maker (in this case, Payton) chooses to cut bait and start over (for a long rebuild).

Sounds like the squad did not want to continue with him when it became apparent they would not likely make the playoffs. They might have made more moves earlier, but the team started winning and they let it continue to play out.

It also sounds like Payton was just not sold on a future with Russell Wilson, despite the fairly attractive stats. Like the Chiefs deciding that making the playoffs routinely with Alex Smith was not going to somehow advance them in the postseason-they took a risk and it paid off (though lots of times these decisions turn out terribly). I think Payton sees that the team might become marginally better with some other additions, but ultimately would never rise above also ran status (this is a major shake up and risk). The dead cap they will take on is so absurd, but I think they want a tear down to the studs type of rebuild. You can bet that Dallas will never gamble that big.
Chiefs is different they didn’t bench Alex Smith they drafted Mahomes then determined Alex was expendable. This is just blind faith the Broncos are doing. It’s a poorly ran organization and it’s funny they can’t even find a QB but have faith they can do it now lol.

Dallas would never do it because they are a 11-12 win team. If Broncos could win 11 games then they’d have no issue with who was at quarterback.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Chiefs is different they didn’t bench Alex Smith they drafted Mahomes then determined Alex was expendable. This is just blind faith the Broncos are doing. It’s a poorly ran organization and it’s funny they can’t even find a QB but have faith they can do it now lol.

Dallas would never do it because they are a 11-12 win team. If Broncos could win 11 games then they’d have no issue with who was at quarterback.
The Chiefs determined Alex was expendable BEFORE drafting Mahomes. They had just gone 12-4 the PREVIOUS season. The Chiefs traded up with the Bills (moved from Number 27 to 10) to get a risky player from Texas Tech! To replace the guy who had just gotten the squad to host a divisional game (who also made the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons with the team). Alex was only 31 when they drafted Pat. They decided to take a major risk-it paid off.

Dallas would never try that risk. Making the playoffs is the ONLY targeted goal. Anything else is gravy. Denver does not have some all-pro squad minus a QB. They have a decent team, and played most of the season like a decent team. I’m not saying I have faith in their decision. I think Payton just does not see a great future with Russ. They are going to take their medicine now, rather than letting things drag out 5-6 more seasons.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Chiefs determined Alex was expendable BEFORE drafting Mahomes. They had just gone 12-4 the PREVIOUS season. The Chiefs traded up with the Bills (moved from Number 27 to 10) to get a risky player from Texas Tech! To replace the guy who had just gotten the squad to host a divisional game (who also made the playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons with the team). Alex was only 31 when they drafted Pat. They decided to take a major risk-it paid off.

Dallas would never try that risk. Making the playoffs is the ONLY targeted goal. Anything else is gravy. Denver does not have some all-pro squad minus a QB. They have a decent team, and played most of the season like a decent team. I’m not saying I have faith in their decision. I think Payton just does not see a great future with Russ. They are going to take their medicine now, rather than letting things drag out 5-6 more seasons.
Alex Smith was a product of Andy Reid. I get what you’re doing. You’re trying to bring this back to Dak because well you can’t resist but Alex Smith was a known bus driver. That was his ceiling. Mahomes had a higher ceiling than that. Not only that but Mahomes was drafted when they had Alex Smith and allowed him to sit. That ain’t Denver.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Alex Smith was a product of Andy Reid. I get what you’re doing. You’re trying to bring this back to Dak because well you can’t resist but Alex Smith was a known bus driver. That was his ceiling. Mahomes had a higher ceiling than that. Not only that but Mahomes was drafted when they had Alex Smith and allowed him to sit. That ain’t Denver.
Alex was drafted 1st overall and San Francisco had a great season with him once they had stocked the roster. And you can make the statement that a QB is a bus driver, without actually arguing haha. Bus drivers throw for ~3500 yards in a season?

I’m making the argument that teams can and will make changes despite having good performance from the QB. Even when the QB is in their prime. It looks like Denver is moving on because of expense and expectations. They might let someone sit a year-we shall see. Either way they are taking an enormously expensive risk. And yes Dallas would never take that risk, no matter how much playoff failure a team has with its QB. As long as they are making the playoffs fairly routinely.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Alex was drafted 1st overall and San Francisco had a great season with him once they had stocked the roster. And you can make the statement that a QB is a bus driver, without actually arguing haha. Bus drivers throw for ~3500 yards in a season?

I’m making the argument that teams can and will make changes despite having good performance from the QB. Even when the QB is in their prime. It looks like Denver is moving on because of expense and expectations. They might let someone sit a year-we shall see. Either way they are taking an enormously expensive risk. And yes Dallas would never take that risk, no matter how much playoff failure a team has with its QB. As long as they are making the playoffs fairly routinely.
Because Cowboys aren't stupid. We can complain about how they run this team but they are not as badly ran as the Bronco's seem to be right now. Its foolish to hope and pray you find the next Mahomes because chances are it won't happen. All of these dreadful teams.....the Browns, Jags, JETS....these are typically perennial losers who have had the 1st or 2nd overall pick and it resulted in nothing.

Alex was the 1st overall pick but he was a bust. His best year came with Andy Reid. Alex was a bus driver. That's what his game was. Don't take risks.....just take what the defense gives and don't beat your team.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Because Cowboys aren't stupid. We can complain about how they run this team but they are not as badly ran as the Bronco's seem to be right now. Its foolish to hope and pray you find the next Mahomes because chances are it won't happen. All of these dreadful teams.....the Browns, Jags, JETS....these are typically perennial losers who have had the 1st or 2nd overall pick and it resulted in nothing.

Alex was the 1st overall pick but he was a bust. His best year came with Andy Reid. Alex was a bus driver. That's what his game was. Don't take risks.....just take what the defense gives and don't beat your team.
Like I said, you keep saying Alex was a bust. He was just a pretty good QB (which was a disappointment because of his draft status), who flashed brightly at times. He did not pass for as many yards with SF and Harbaugh because they did not ask him to (mainly a power running team under Harbaugh). With KC and Reid and the West Coast offense, he passed for a lot more. There are many tier two QB’s that cannot get it done in the playoffs with whichever supporting cast given. There are QB’s that are tier one, and then QB’s that kind of fall between tiers. Eli Manning was the definition of QB bus driver on both Super Bowl runs.

Each team gets to make a choice whether they should build around a specific QB. Most teams must try to build the team within 1-3 years which dramatically alters how they construct a team and what risks they take to achieve success. This results in a few teams making enormous jumps in competitive level (up or down). They are basically forced to draft a QB high and play them immediately. Many of these QB’s are going to squads with zero offensive lines and few if any playmakers. Within their first year, they are already labeled a bust if they go out and get demolished physically and mentally. The clock is ticking and they have no room for error-they must produce. Most do not and get booted. Some end up as journeymen QB’s and show us they are decent QB’s with better built squads (see Geno Smith and now Joe Flacco and ironically Baker Mayfield). Funny thing is Cleveland used that horde of high picks to construct the bulk of their current roster which is now paying dividends (so these things can work in a team’s favor).

There are very few teams that will run it back with the same GM and head coach for more than 3 years unless the team experiences lots of success or the trend is pointing way up. The Cowboys, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh teams will keep running it back even if the arrow is pointing sideways. Baltimore has shown it’s the best of the three with that approach (better success within the regular season with the occasional breakthrough Super Bowl win). Pittsburgh has not shown as much playoff success without Ben as QB (who was their last highest drafted QB-funny how that works). Dallas also has not shown that much playoff success since their last highest drafted QB (Troy Aikman).

If a team decides to move in a new direction from a QB like Denver is currently doing, they are saying that they do not believe in the ultimate success of the club with said QB. If that is the case, and the goal is ultimate success then they are not stupid to move on (no matter the result). If the goal is annual relevance and interest, then yes the decision is likely stupid. Denver’s decision makers have different goals. Kansas City also had different goals when they traded two first round picks on a complete unknown QB out of Texas Tech in the first round. They had already shown they could win in the regular season and make the playoffs (where anything can happen I’m told) basically every single year with the current QB. They felt like continuing building around Alex was going to yield more of the same-no matter how many more pieces were added. They took the huge risk (which you said is stupid), and it paid off exponentially. Huge risks are like that-can go either way.

Denver may not even go with a QB early next draft. They might decide lines of scrimmage are most important to address before adding a high drafted QB or someone in another round or undrafted. I think the smartest GM’s are the ones that are starting to realize there are maybe max 2 QB’s in the league at any point that are heads and shoulders above their peers with everything constant. The enormous bulk are QB’s that can likely succeed at some level depending on how elite the rest of the team is.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Two things here.. Alex Smith had that amazing playoff run in 2011 when he rightfully had led his team to the Super Bowl. .. In the game against the Saints he brought the 49ers from way back to win with like 3 TD passes in the 4th quarter. THen against the Giants they had the game all but sewn up with like 11 minutes left as their defense had held the Giants to 10 points and had forced a 3 and out until Kyle Williams fumbled the punt to set the Giants up for a TD. Then Smith guided the offense back to tie the game up 17-all and again the defense had held in OT and Williams fumbled again to set the G-men up for an easy game winning FG. Point being, for all his perceived failures and shortcomings.. Alex Smith was a pretty damn good QB. His playoff ledger reads 14 TD to 2 INTs in 7 games. I think most here would take that from our QB. I know I would.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

REPORT: Several agents believe that the #Broncos might have to “overpay” to sign players in free agency because of how poorly they handled Russell Wilson’s situation, per @JFowlerESPN

Threatening to bench him mid-season and their overall handling of the situation could rub players the wrong way.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

: Several agents believe that the #Broncos might have to “overpay” to sign players in free agency because of how poorly they handled Russell Wilson’s situation, per @JFowlerESPN

Threatening to bench him mid-season and their overall handling of the situation could rub players the wrong way.

NFL quickly becoming the NBA. Don’t make them mad. Payton is mostly from the Parcells tree on his style so not that surprised. We’ll see…. sounds like an agent reaction most of all. I think it comes down to what the players really thought about Wilson in the locker room. Quarterbacks already look like prima donnas as is, and according to some of the stories, he was getting some unusual perks. Goes back though to that interview with Dave Campo this week about some of the old-school style coaches struggling because they don’t understand the psychology of pushing buttons, the same way, Jimmy, or I’ll say even a Parcells could.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Two things here.. Alex Smith had that amazing playoff run in 2011 when he rightfully had led his team to the Super Bowl. .. In the game against the Saints he brought the 49ers from way back to win with like 3 TD passes in the 4th quarter. THen against the Giants they had the game all but sewn up with like 11 minutes left as their defense had held the Giants to 10 points and had forced a 3 and out until Kyle Williams fumbled the punt to set the Giants up for a TD. Then Smith guided the offense back to tie the game up 17-all and again the defense had held in OT and Williams fumbled again to set the G-men up for an easy game winning FG. Point being, for all his perceived failures and shortcomings.. Alex Smith was a pretty damn good QB. His playoff ledger reads 14 TD to 2 INTs in 7 games. I think most here would take that from our QB. I know I would.
He had a bust of a career for a 1st overall pick.