Bruce Feldman: Cowboys really like Payton Wilson

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
From the article linked below.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ms-team-really-like-nc-state-lb-payton-wilson

“One of the most intriguing players in this draft is NC State’s Payton Wilson, who was the best defensive player in the ACC, but he has a medical history that I’m told has some NFL teams reluctant to draft him, despite his physicality, size and tremendous speed. He’s been injury-free the past two years, and I hear the Cowboys and Lions really like him.”

Gambit

Reaction score
Problematic medical history seems to be on the Cowboys wish list every draft.
What's problematic about staying healthy the last 2 years?

Several of the OL we are looking at have medical questions including JPJ and Barton.

The closer we get the more scrutiny each player will get about even a common cold. At first I was the same way about Payton, but after looking into it more it's not that big of a risk to take a guy with his talent in rd 2.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Supposedly Wilson has been healthy the last two seasons and currently not dealing with any type of injury unlike Barton and JPJ. What type of injuries did he have in the past?

morasp

Reaction score
Good player, double digit surgeries would be a concern and also his age.

Overview​

Wilson’s length and athletic profile could certainly push him up the board for some teams, but his history with injuries could tamp down his draft stock. He’s free-flowing in pursuit and is at his best as a run-and-hit hunter rather than a static defender faced with a downhill blocker. He has the burst to shoot downhill and make a tackle for loss but lacks the demeanor or play strength to consistently leverage run fits. Wilson will find himself near the football frequently when allowed to play freely and avoid the mess in the middle. He has third-down ability as a blitzer and is a talented cover man who can play zone or man coverage. Wilson has early starting potential but scheme fit and medical reports will play a big role in his evaluation.

Strengths​

• Long and athletic; a multi-sport star in high school.
  • Showed wide receiver-like speed at the NFL Scouting Combine, posting a 4.43-second 40-yard dash.
  • Rangy to find his way into a high number of tackle opportunities.
  • Adequate football intelligence and blocking-scheme recognition.
  • Has the hands and eyes to dart into passing lanes and take the ball away.
  • Burst and lateral agility create blitzing potential for gaming fronts.

Weaknesses​

• Lacks play strength and take-on technique to consistently leverage his gap.
  • Can be too willing to side-step a block rather than play off of it.
  • Plays too upright and gets knocked off balance too frequently.
  • Injury history dating back to high school could be concerning for teams.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Supposedly Wilson has been healthy the last two seasons and currently not dealing with any type of injury unlike Barton and JPJ. What type of injuries did he have in the past?
Two ACL tears and a shoulder injury. Also 24 years old. Good player, but probably a one contract guy

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Problem is, he is clearly the best linebacker in the class. He has those elite instincts that we all talk about for the position. He is a likely 1 contract player, who so are many linebackers.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brugler has Wilson in the 3rd round.

-

SUMMARY: A four-year starter, Wilson played weakside linebacker in defensive coordinator Tony Gibson’s 3-3-5 stack scheme. After returning for a sixth year in Raleigh, he put together his most complete season in 2023 with 11.5 tackles per game (fifth best in the FBS) and cleaned up on the award circuit, taking home the Butkus (nation’s top linebacker) and Chuck Bednarik (nation’s top defensive player) awards (first in NC State history to win either honor). Against run or pass, Wilson is quick to trigger (downhill and laterally) and has some impressive GPS numbers for both his speed and the ground covered on plays. Although he is an average take-on player and can be late escaping blocks, he never shuts it down and competes with the “every play could be my last” mentality. Overall, Wilson’s medicals will be a key factor in his final grade, but he is a rangy and instinctive player who impacts the game in different ways, because of his effort and toughness. His four-down potential will separate him from most linebacker prospects.
GRADE: 3rd Round (No. 88 overall)

Rayman70

Reaction score
I like late round linebackers like Luke Reimers from Nebraska and Tommy Eichenberg(Ohio State) better. No injury history for either of them and they tackle like crazy. Great football IQ and instincts. Not a fan of drafting players with medicals with premium picks. If we want Sean Lee, draft one of these dudes. Go watch the YT game tapes.

morasp

Reaction score
If there Trotter might be OK in the third but didn't his daddy say he won't wear the star.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's problematic about staying healthy the last 2 years?

Several of the OL we are looking at have medical questions including JPJ and Barton.

The closer we get the more scrutiny each player will get about even a common cold. At first I was the same way about Payton, but after looking into it more it's not that big of a risk to take a guy with his talent in rd 2.
My comment was not about the player, which is why I did not mention him.

The article mentioned the medical history of the player was scaring some teams from drafting him and I stated the Cowboys have a history of drafting players with problematic medical histories, which is a factual statement.

Carter

Reaction score
Injuries are a concern but he has been healthy for two seasons and is the best LB in the draft maybe behind Cooper.

Not worried about the age.

RBs and LBs are one contract guys most of the time in this game right now.

If you get 4 very good years and 4 years of starting LB quality you get it and than you look for the next guy