Bruce Feldman: Cowboys really like Payton Wilson

JPM

Reaction score
He can replace LVE on the injured list. Brilliant.

Carson

Reaction score
I love Wilson at 56. I follow NC State a good bit and like Wilson’s game.

He would fit in nicely with Kendricks, Overshown and Clark and let Micah slide around from LB and DE.

rambo2

Reaction score
He is being mocked into the first round even with his medical history - I agree LVE part 2 but he is so good when healthy
I think he is going in the 2nd round. Just an awesome player. Well worth whatever he gives you. One of the top players in the draft.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Brugler has Wilson in the 3rd round.

-

SUMMARY: A four-year starter, Wilson played weakside linebacker in defensive coordinator Tony Gibson’s 3-3-5 stack scheme. After returning for a sixth year in Raleigh, he put together his most complete season in 2023 with 11.5 tackles per game (fifth best in the FBS) and cleaned up on the award circuit, taking home the Butkus (nation’s top linebacker) and Chuck Bednarik (nation’s top defensive player) awards (first in NC State history to win either honor). Against run or pass, Wilson is quick to trigger (downhill and laterally) and has some impressive GPS numbers for both his speed and the ground covered on plays. Although he is an average take-on player and can be late escaping blocks, he never shuts it down and competes with the “every play could be my last” mentality. Overall, Wilson’s medicals will be a key factor in his final grade, but he is a rangy and instinctive player who impacts the game in different ways, because of his effort and toughness. His four-down potential will separate him from most linebacker prospects.
GRADE: 3rd Round (No. 88 overall)
Jokes on Brugler because we are taking him in the 2nd.

Check Mate! King me!

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Good player, double digit surgeries would be a concern and also his age.

Overview​

Wilson’s length and athletic profile could certainly push him up the board for some teams, but his history with injuries could tamp down his draft stock. He’s free-flowing in pursuit and is at his best as a run-and-hit hunter rather than a static defender faced with a downhill blocker. He has the burst to shoot downhill and make a tackle for loss but lacks the demeanor or play strength to consistently leverage run fits. Wilson will find himself near the football frequently when allowed to play freely and avoid the mess in the middle. He has third-down ability as a blitzer and is a talented cover man who can play zone or man coverage. Wilson has early starting potential but scheme fit and medical reports will play a big role in his evaluation.

Strengths​

• Long and athletic; a multi-sport star in high school.
  • Showed wide receiver-like speed at the NFL Scouting Combine, posting a 4.43-second 40-yard dash.
  • Rangy to find his way into a high number of tackle opportunities.
  • Adequate football intelligence and blocking-scheme recognition.
  • Has the hands and eyes to dart into passing lanes and take the ball away.
  • Burst and lateral agility create blitzing potential for gaming fronts.

Weaknesses​

• Lacks play strength and take-on technique to consistently leverage his gap.
  • Can be too willing to side-step a block rather than play off of it.
  • Plays too upright and gets knocked off balance too frequently.
  • Injury history dating back to high school could be concerning for teams.
Another finesse LBer whos always hurt. You can book it then.