Bruce Thornton-The worst Pick in NFLhistory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badattitude

Benched
Reaction score
My GOD!!! :mad: even Kiper just said ! Massive reach here!! Waht's with Georgia!??? It's that friggin Larry Lacewell! we alwasy take the reach on these guys!

Heres' the write up on Thornton! I've never read a WORSE WRITE UP!

SELECTED BY DALLAS , ROUND 4, PICK 25, OVERALL PICK 121
CB | (5'10", 197, 4.5) | GEORGIA | COLLEGE STATS
Data from Scouts, Inc.

Grade: 63
Comments: Thornton is at his best in zone coverage when he can give a cushion and keep everything in front. Long arms, knocks down passes underneath. Good recognition, gets good break on balls in zone. Quick, agile. Good burst out of pedal. No special qualities. Not physical in coverage. Gets pushed around. Does not fill as hard as he should vs. run, has trouble getting off blocks. Lacks smooth hips, top-end speed to match up vertically one-on-one. Lacks ball skills, doesn't make enough big plays when ball is airborne. Thornton broke his thumb as a freshman in 1999 and got a medical redshirt. In 2000, he began his career as a receiver and had 47 receptions and three touchdowns. He moved to defensive back during practices for the Oahu Bowl and has started since. As a senior, he started 13 games and finished with 48 tackles, two interceptions and seven passes broken up. Thornton has adequate size and speed. He is at his best in zone coverage and has good agility and burst coming forward. However, Thornton lacks great man-cover skills and often loses confidence. He lacks great speed and playmaking skills, and he struggles to turn and run with faster receivers. Thornton is a late-round cornerback prospect who must play in a scheme that calls for zone coverage. He could develop into a No. 3 cornerback but does not have upside.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Please, he's a 4th rounder. At this point, anyone that makes the team would have to be considered a moderate success.

Smith22

Reaction score
Avery said:
Please, he's a 4th rounder. At this point, anyone that makes the team would have to be considered a moderate success.
Not to be rude, but there is such a thing as picking for value, and this pick wasn't it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Badattitude said:
My GOD!!! :mad: even Kiper just said ! Massive reach here!! Waht's with Georgia!??? It's that friggin Larry Lacewell! we alwasy take the reach on these guys!

well if kiper didn't like him we must be screwed then.

Badattitude

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
well if kiper didn't like him we must be screwed then.
DUDE, KIPER DOES THIS FOR A LIVING IT;S HIS PASSION...THE MAN IS NEARLY ALWAYS CORRECT ...I'D SAY ABOUT 95% OF THE TIME...HE AID THE SAME ABOUT PITTMAN , EKUBAN,CARVER....ALL ****...

Reaction score
I guess these guys can see into the future and tell that Bruce Thornton is going to be horrible because of a write up and what Mel said. Please, give the guy a chance and stop crying like little babies.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dude, chill out. terrell davis is more the exception than the rule. you're acting like anyone picked at this time should be the same quality and production as terrell davis.

isn't that just a bit as stupid as you're making jj out to be?

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
DUDE, KIPER DOES THIS FOR A LIVING IT;S HIS PASSION...THE MAN IS NEARLY ALWAYS CORRECT ...I'D SAY ABOUT 95% OF THE TIME...HE AID THE SAME ABOUT PITTMAN , EKUBAN,CARVER....ALL ****...

He also said Andre Ware, Akili Smith and Ryan Leaf would be successful.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Badattitude said:

well, you're typing in all caps and are pretty emotional, so you must be right and the rest of us wrong. i hate it when someone does the all caps/all emotion thing. there just is no recovery.

Reaction score
I dont know how much of this was caused due to Thornton but Clayton didn't have a 100 yard game against Ga.

Ken

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
I'll be rude...STOP SMOKING CRACK!!!
Terrell Davis was a 6th Rounder!!
THIS IS A FRACKIN DISGRACE!!!!
THIS IS DISGUSTING!!!
BP IS A CLUELESS CLOWN!! AS IS JJ!!!
WHAT A FRIGGIN JOKE....

BRUCE THRONTON..SHOULD NOT AND PROLLY WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN DRAFTED!!
Rick Gooselin, who has been a lot more accurate than kiper the last three years, liked the pick. Thought he was the best we could get in the 4th. Had him in his top 125.

Calm down.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
It could have been Micheal Waddell or Jason David they were taken right after us and look at their bios. A least he is 200 lbs and runs a 4.45 forty. I dont know how you can say a guy has no upside when he has barely played the position for more than a year.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
It could have been Micheal Waddell or Jason David they were taken right after us and look at their bios. A least he is 200 lbs and runs a 4.45 forty. I dont know how you can say a guy has no upside when he has barely played the position for more than a year.

just do it real emotionally with a lot of anger. that seems to work. oh yea, emhapsize the all caps thing - that really pushes your argument into "i win" terratory.

walrus

Reaction score
iceberg said:
just do it real emotionally with a lot of anger. that seems to work. oh yea, emhapsize the all caps thing - that really pushes your argument into "i win" terratory.

Hindsight is always better, but foresight is best. Dallas should have picked Poole in the 3rd round and then address the OG position in the 4th. It would appear that Dallas is picking for need and reaching a bit in the 3rd and 4th. If they said that they pick the BPA, well it be BS.

I starting to like the two 2nd round picks, but please, the 3rd and 4th are a bit of a reach for need and need only. Parcells loves his OL too much!

jac9k

Reaction score
When I looke dhis Bio up, it did't sound good.

Can't play man to man. doesn't like contact. no upside.

:(

jac

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
walrus said:
Hindsight is always better, but foresight is best. Dallas should have picked Poole in the 3rd round and then address the OG position in the 4th. It would appear that Dallas is picking for need and reaching a bit in the 3rd and 4th. If they said that they pick the BPA, well it be BS.

I starting to like the two 2nd round picks, but please, the 3rd and 4th are a bit of a reach for need and need only. Parcells loves his OL too much!

and why is that such a bad thing? we've spent all year and all off-season saying it needs help, it isn't that good, and lord knows it's been an excuse machine for carter, hambrick, and my mother at times.

if your line sucks, the rest of the team tends to follow. this is not a sexy big name draft, but it's looking to be solid and productive where we need it, just harder to "see" because yea, we did pass on a rb that fell to what, 24? you find all your high quality can't miss players at 24, i'm sure.

next years draft is going to have a LOT of rb's in it and we'll have a year to see what jjones can do, and we'll have 2 1st next year to do what we need to as a team to get better.

what if we now trade our 2nd round pick for ty law and only have 2 1sts next year. is that ok now?

the options before us are incredible right now. but no, they're not good for impatient fans.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
jac9k said:
When I looke dhis Bio up, it did't sound good.

Can't play man to man. doesn't like contact. no upside.

:(

jac

so, you've never heard of him before and read 1 bio and parcells is now stupid?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
You know, I think Bill looks more at these guys than probably Kiper. Remember, he has been locked away since a week after the playoffs. He must have seen the others. I think he knows that by the 4th you need to find someone that has upside. A polished 4th rounder has peaked to some degree. You need to get guys that the coach sees flaws in that he thinks he can correct. Cheer up! I have watched so many drafts where I have been super excited with our pick and look what happens.... So, I remain open minded. Perfect examples are Derek Ross or Antonio Bryant..... People on this site were going nuts with excitement with those picks. Could it be that a coach that sits and analyzes players for months might have more of an idea than us. This guy from Georgia sure beats the last time we picked someone from Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.