Bruce Thornton-The worst Pick in NFLhistory

Status
Not open for further replies.

genghiskhan

Reaction score
God this used to be a really good board, and it started to go downhill about 2 months ago, maybe a little before that. I had some hope that the new board may weed out some of the troll posters who might not bother to re-register. Unfortunately, as evidenced by the moron, yes I said it, MORON, that started this thread, not much has changed. It's sad because I used to love this place, and I wish they would ban guys just for being bad posters.

If you don't like the pick, fine. I'm not in love with it either. But have some substance to your post, not just ridiculous, desperate yelling, hand-wringing and hyperbole.

I'm sick to death of it quite honestly. This board (thecowboys.net inclusive) didn't used to have a lot of people like this.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Goose had him ranked as a Top 125 player, and the Cowboys drafted him at 121.

If you don't trust and/or respect Goose's opinion, you really don't follow the draft very much.

walrus

Reaction score
I haveno problem with the first two picks, just the 3rd and 4th. If JJ is saying the LA is staying in Dallas this year, why not draft a CB in the 3rd instead. Look at the picks in the 3rd round after our pick and before our 4th - there were a lot better CB then Thornton and we could probably still get a good OL in the 4th (Stacy Andrews was drafted after our 4th pick. Dallas reached for players in the 3rd and 4th.

genghiskhan

Reaction score
walrus said:
I haveno problem with the first two picks, just the 3rd and 4th. If JJ is saying the LA is staying in Dallas this year, why not draft a CB in the 3rd instead. Look at the picks in the 3rd round after our pick and before our 4th - there were a lot better CB then Thornton and we could probably still get a good OL in the 4th (Stacy Andrews was drafted after our 4th pick. Dallas reached for players in the 3rd and 4th.

I feel similar to how you do. Thank you for an intelligent and thought out post on the matter. I wish more people would post in this manner. :)

They do seem like reaches, but that doesn't mean they won't pan out. Hopefully they do, especially the 3rd rounder. I don't put a whole lot of stock in the 4th round, so I'm not too worried about him because it's hit or miss anyway.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heck I thought the worst pick was (take your choice):

Kendall Watkins
Shane Hannah
Quincy Carter
Tony Dixon

genghiskhan

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Heck I thought the worst pick was (take your choice):

Kendall Watkins
Shane Hannah
Quincy Carter
Tony Dixon

If you are talking just Cowboys picks, then Watkins and Hannah were definitely worse picks.

Overall in the NFL history, which is what the original poster is suggesting, Mandarich may have been the worst ever. A reach in the 4th round just does not compare to a first round bust. Blair Thomas would have to be up there, too. Akili Smith also. There are a ton of worse picks than Thornton. That much is certain.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
D41lasCowboys31 said:
I guess these guys can see into the future and tell that Bruce Thornton is going to be horrible because of a write up and what Mel said. Please, give the guy a chance and stop crying like little b**tches.

I'm with you.

I would really like us to take a chance on Hilton and we still may.

These guys have been at this for months and have contacts everywhere.

Do you guys think they even give a **** what Kiper says. He's a talking head! I like him but he's hardly of use in actually picking someone.

This guy might be the next Everson Walls. Or a bust. Give the guy and management a chance.

Damn.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
genghiskhan said:
God this used to be a really good board, and it started to go downhill about 2 months ago, maybe a little before that. I had some hope that the new board may weed out some of the troll posters who might not bother to re-register. Unfortunately, as evidenced by the moron, yes I said it, MORON, that started this thread, not much has changed. It's sad because I used to love this place, and I wish they would ban guys just for being bad posters.

If you don't like the pick, fine. I'm not in love with it either. But have some substance to your post, not just ridiculous, desperate yelling, hand-wringing and hyperbole.

I'm sick to death of it quite honestly. This board (thecowboys.net inclusive) didn't used to have a lot of people like this.

I agree. That's one of the main reasons that I rarely post here any longer.

This board is still full of great, longtime posters. It is, however, full on nonsense posters as well.

As I said a few months back, I am just thankful as hell that JJ and The Tuna are running this team--and not some of these board members.

jac9k

Reaction score
iceberg said:
so, you've never heard of him before and read 1 bio and parcells is now stupid?
interesting.

I re-read my post several times and could not find
were I called Parcells stupid.

But I have an idea who is stupid.

jac

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
jac9k said:
interesting.

I re-read my post several times and could not find
were I called Parcells stupid.

But I have an idea who is stupid.

jac

well, as long as you have that you should be ok.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
DUDE, KIPER DOES THIS FOR A LIVING IT;S HIS PASSION...THE MAN IS NEARLY ALWAYS CORRECT ...I'D SAY ABOUT 95% OF THE TIME...HE AID THE SAME ABOUT PITTMAN , EKUBAN,CARVER....ALL ****...

kiper is an overrated idiot.

TheHustler

Reaction score
walrus said:

last year it became painfully obvious we needed more Oline depth. nothing wrong drafting for that.

Badattitude

Benched
Reaction score
genghiskhan said:

If you dont lie ppls opinoins dont read them ...or leave...
bye..

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
DUDE, KIPER DOES THIS FOR A LIVING IT;S HIS PASSION...THE MAN IS NEARLY ALWAYS CORRECT ...I'D SAY ABOUT 95% OF THE TIME...HE AID THE SAME ABOUT PITTMAN , EKUBAN,CARVER....ALL ****...

Kiper is wrong all the time, nobody is perfect.

1996 Kavika Pittman R.7.9 Kiper rated him as the 117th best player overall. Predicted him to be drafted in the middle of the third round by Miami.
Dallas took him at #37 Kiper wasn't as bad, but he was still rated too high.

1999 Ebenezer Ekuban R.9.1 Kiper rated him as the 18th best player overall, the #1 DE and predicted him to be drafted with the 18th pick by Oakland.
Dallas took him at #20 Kiper thought just as highly on him and was wrong.

I don't have the info on Shante Carver but I believe Kiper thought he was a second round pick. Still would have been too high for that complete bust.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Badattitude, why don't you just chill?

Why not see how they pan out before you go postal?

THere's always SOMEBODY out there that thinks they can do better. :rolleyes:

Bizwah

Reaction score
I feel better knowing that both Gosselin and Gil Brandt think he was a good pick.

genghiskhan

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
If you dont lie ppls opinoins dont read them ...or leave...
bye..

I believe the words you are searching for are: "Don't...like...people's or purple's, I can't tell which...onions or opinions, it could be either one...don't (again, which makes me wonder if it was a typo or just ignorance)...

So I should leave if I don't like people's opinions, or I should leave if I don't like purple onions. It's quite a dilemma, since I like people's opinions, but I don't like purple onions. Then again, I happen to like the opinions of purple people's onions, so maybe I'm safe after all.

Thanks for giving me something to contemplate.

jdnalls

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
Not to be rude, but there is such a thing as picking for value, and this pick wasn't it.
Especially considering that Miami got Poole in the 4th and he is a far superior CB.

ArkCowboy

Reaction score
can you say goodrich? good! i knew you could!
can you say dixon? see a pattern here? bad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.