Twitter: Brugler: Confidence Cowboys will sign QB Matt Linehan as UDFA

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's where championships are won.

You weren’t here last year when keeping Kellen Moore on the roster for three weeks almost cost us whatever backup ST LB it was whose name we’ve since forgotten, were you? That was a disaster.

Haimerej

Reaction score
You weren’t here last year when keeping Kellen Moore on the roster for three weeks almost cost us whatever backup ST LB it was whose name we’ve since forgotten, were you? That was a disaster.

Lol. Sorry I missed that.

gmoney112

Reaction score
How awkward would it be if Matt turned out to be a PS candidate and then we let his dad walk next year?

I'm not expecting much but if they think he can actually run an offense well enough for guys to get reps then he's probably worth bringing to camp.

Hoping we bring in Logan Woodside as an UDFA

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How awkward would it be if Matt turned out to be a PS candidate and then we let his dad walk next year?

I'm not expecting much but if they think he can actually run an offense well enough for guys to get reps then he's probably worth bringing to camp.

Hoping we bring in Logan Woodside as an UDFA

More or less awkward than when Jason had to fire his own brother?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So, just for the record, we should move up to the top of the draft and take one of these QB's? Which one is worth giving up this year's first, next year's first and probably a second and maybe more?
Maybe not be this year; but the team has treated the QB position like it is one of the least important positions on the team. We got lucky in Romo but going the UDFA route and mid round drafting on occasion is tiresome when looking to acquire QBs.

I am not sure there is a team in the league that has spent less draft capital on the position than the Cowboys. Even the Patriots with Tom Brady have invested more picks at the position.

So this issue isn’t just a one year issue. It is a long term issue that’ I would like the team to eventually fix. Last year our total QB experience was 18 games started among the QBs (Dak, Moore, Rush). So we had an inexperienced QB with undrafted talent behind him.

I love Dak but the QB position is too important to just have camp body signings when QB is now a question mark and your back up (Rush) was practice squad material who only became the back up because the 1st back up (Moore) was only practice squad material for his short career.

I get this signing isn’t a huge issue in and of itself (if it were to actually happen). It is just par for the course with the Cowboys though because this appears to now be their preferred method of finding QBs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Except for the fact that you have NOTHING to base that on. A little success against scrubs somehow makes Rush better than Dak?

I mean, if we are going to go on scouting reports...maybe you should look at Rush's from last year.

WEAKNESSES
Frumpy body with very little muscular definition. Does not look the part. Slow, plodding setup in the pocket. Throws from narrow platform and generates very little drive on his throws from lower half. Lollipop arm strength allows ball to hang in air too long. Defensive backs with twitch have time to dart into passing lane and make interceptions despite a good read by quarterback. Struggles to challenge tight windows in middle of the field. Could be limited to timing-based passing attacks. Unable to make sudden getaways from pocket due to lack of athleticism. Strong pocket push from interior short circuits his plans.

SOURCES TELL US
"He played in the MAC, not the SEC. If he made some of those throws against NFL cornerbacks and safeties they turn into pick-sixes. He's a great kid, he's smart, but he falls below the minimum standard for arm strength." - Area scout for AFC team
NFL COMPARISON
Kellen Moore
BOTTOM LINE
His body type and lack of functional arm strength will immediately make him a draft reject on some team's boards, but that could be a mistake. Processes as quickly as any quarterback I've studied over the last five years and has the anticipation and accuracy to counter his lack of velocity. Mental makeup and consistency of production make him a legitimate NFL roster candidate.
Rush fans will cry if he ever gets extended action in a real game.

Good kid and smart, just doesn't have an arm.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here fans go again - treating something that may not even happen as a certainty to happen - it ensures that if it doesn't happen they didn't miss the chance to gripe about it. If they wait, the chance may be gone.

In any case, even if they do sign him, it very likely will only be as a camp arm. Teams need several camp arms to throw to all the receivers and RBs.

For all we know, Linnehan may not even want to sign with Dallas because he may want to avoid the accusation of nepotism.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush fans will cry if he ever gets extended action in a real game.

Good kid and smart, just doesn't have an arm.

That's my suspicion as well. I haven't completely condemned him, because he did look very good in preseason last year, and occasionally a QB can overcome some deficiency in arm strength, but I have my doubts with Rush.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Gmoney, Woodside does look to have a bit of game.

Why does this team not draft QBs more often? So, they hand th reins to Dak an will not press him wit competition. I'd like to see them draft a QB early as th 4th-5th to press Dak. They never brought n competition for Romo, but hopefully they learn to stack QBs, at least for assets.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gmoney, Woodside does look to have a bit of game.

Why does this team not draft QBs more often? So, they hand th reins to Dak an will not press him wit competition. I'd like to see them draft a QB early as th 4th-5th to press Dak. They never brought n competition for Romo, but hopefully they learn to stack QBs, at least for assets.

I agree with you that the team should draft a QB more often. Not a top pick unless the team is really hurting for one immediately, but an occasional mid rounder just to keep some fresh blood and at least have a shot at developing someone. I think Dak was only the 3rd QB the team has drafted in the 29 years since Aikman was drafted.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I agree with you that the team should draft a QB more often. Not a top pick unless the team is really hurting for one immediately, but an occasional mid rounder just to keep some fresh blood and at least have a shot at developing someone. I think Dak was only the 3rd QB the team has drafted in the 29 years since Aikman was drafted.

Wow...3rd? Yeah that needs to change.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
WEAKNESSES
Frumpy body with very little muscular definition. Does not look the part.

In his prime years, that would describe Bob Lilly perfectly. Looks can be deceiving. This is not a pro-Linehan post, I'm just pointing out that playing football is far different than "looking the part" and I would probably ignore that scouting report for even putting that in there. If the "scout" who wrote that put that phrase first, he was probably watching the tape with the expectation of finding fault. And people, even football scouts, often find what their first impression makes them expect to find in evaluating other people.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
In his prime years, that would describe Bob Lilly perfectly. Looks can be deceiving. This is not a pro-Linehan post, I'm just pointing out that playing football is far different than "looking the part" and I would probably ignore that scouting report for even putting that in there. If the "scout" who wrote that put that phrase first, he was probably watching the tape with the expectation of finding fault. And people, even football scouts, often find what their first impression makes them expect to find in evaluating other people.

Just to clarify, that was Rush's profile.