Brugler: Cowboys “really like” Zaven Collins

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have rated Zaven Collins the best LB in this draft and Cox second, followed by Britt...then Browning. Britt is a oure MLB and oldschool thumper. Browning and Zaven are outside linebackers and more athletic.But of we wanna good hard nosed tough,smart MLB..give me Britt. If we wanna athlete, give me Collins.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Only backer I’m taking at 10 is Parsons. He’s an elite prospect with All- Pro upside. In a draft absent a lot of top end defensive talent he’s definitely worth taking at 10.
I think he can be beast in the right system. I am worried about his off the field stuff. He seems like he is more raw than people think. More I keep watching Zaven and Britt, I fall in love.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think he can be beast in the right system. I am worried about his off the field stuff. He seems like he is more raw than people think. More I keep watching Zaven and Britt, I fall in love.
Britt is nowhere near the level as a player. Collins is a good prospect but IMO not on Parsons level.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I watched Collins' tape, he's good but not #10 good. He looks like he'll have a long and productive NFL career, but of course the top 10 crew like Pitts, Surtain and Farley all do as well.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I watched Collins' tape, he's good but not #10 good. He looks like he'll have a long and productive NFL career, but of course the top 10 crew like Pitts, Surtain and Farley all do as well.

Agreed. I’m a fan but don’t see him as someone you take at 10.

I’d be comfortable in the 20s.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I feel like the conversation around Collins is wrong.

He's an edge in the NFL, similar type player to Matt Judon. You could probably play him at SAM in some 4-3 packages, but he doesn't move well enough to play LB in nickel unless he's just a blitzer.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

He's an edge in the NFL, similar type player to Matt Judon. You could probably play him at SAM in some 4-3 packages, but he doesn't move well enough to play LB in nickel unless he's just a blitzer.
Thats your opinion. I think he moves great and his combine will prove that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Thats your opinion. I think he moves great and his combine will prove that.
He never flips his hips, he plays in straight lines, downhill. He's got the exact same mobility as Jaylon - fast and powerful in a straightline, but can't change direction. He's not a guy who is going to be able to turn and run down the seam or get sufficient depth, so he's limited day 1 in coverage.

He doesn't have a combine.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
He never flips his hips, he plays in straight lines, downhill. He's got the exact same mobility as Jaylon - fast and powerful in a straightline, but can't change direction. He's not a guy who is going to be able to turn and run down the seam or get sufficient depth, so he's limited day 1 in coverage.

He doesn't have a combine.
You know what I meant with combine :facepalm:
And it's no need to continue to argue it. The proof will come soon at the PRO DAY

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You know what I meant with combine :facepalm:
And it's no need to continue to argue it. The proof will come soon at the PRO DAY
Well no it won't because we don't know what he's going to run at his pro day.

But his pro day doesn't show whether or not he can flip his hips and run in coverage. Film does. Watch the difference in his hip movement at 1:54 vs. Von Miller at 3:19 vs. Keuchly at :51

Collins is way more stiff than both of those guys, and one is an edge.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Collins is a great LB and if we addressed the S CB position then He would be my pick in a trade down for sure.
I think it’ll be tough with a trade down. But sometimes just take your guy even if experts say it’s too high. If you believe in collins then do it.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

But his pro day doesn't show whether or not he can flip his hips and run in coverage. Film does. Watch the difference in his hip movement at 1:54 vs. Von Miller at 3:19 vs. Keuchly at :51

You should know he'll run bad 3 cone/shuttle if he's as stiff as you say, no? No need to post videos. You said definitively what he flat out cant do. We will see.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You should know he'll run bad 3 cone/shuttle if he's as stiff as you say, no? No need to post videos. You said definitively what he flat out cant do. We will see.
Film>>>>>>>3 cone/shuttle

Which he might not even run. Which also will get the benefit of doing it at a pro day and not a combine.

It's not that he can't, it's that he never even shown he can. The idea that Collins is going to play off ball and in the intermediate-deep part of the field is dumb, because he's never done it.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Film>>>>>>>3 cone/shuttle

Which he might not even run. Which also will get the benefit of doing it at a pro day and not a combine.

It's not that he can't, it's that he never even shown he can. The idea that Collins is going to play off ball and in the intermediate-deep part of the field is dumb, because he's never done it.
Teams project based on athleticism all the time. Justin jefferson never played outside wr. He's has more than enough athleticism to do whatever you want an off ball lb to do. and if his drills are televised it wont matter if its a pro day or not. A stopwatch is a stopwatch.

Rayman70

Reaction score

that is a good take. I see that as well. He's a playmaker that you just find a role for him on the field and turn him loose. Try not to make him something he is not. I think we can move him around like Seattle did with Kam Chancellor. He is that freaky good with his instincts. LIKE you said, I worry a bit about his movement skills at the next level.

Rayman70

Reaction score

agree^. But his instincts are elite and he has a knack for making plays on the ball. This is a guy you better have a plan for when you draft him. He is one of those players that you move around.