3(81) Michael Gallup WR Colorado St.
4(116) Dorance Armstrong DE Kansas
4(137) Dalton Schultz TE Stanford
5(171) Mike White QB Western Kentucky
6(193) Chris Covington LB Indiana
6(208) Cedrick Wilson WR Boise St.
7(236) Bo Scarbrough RB Alabama

Best player: Michael Gallup

After his Pro Bowl rookie season, Leighton Vander Esch appeared to be the easy answer to this question, but neck and collarbone injuries have put his future in limbo. Gallup had a breakout season in year two with 66 catches for 1,107 yards and six touchdowns over 14 games, when he led the team in receiving yards per game. With the addition of CeeDee Lamb, Gallup’s future in Dallas is clouded, but he should cash in next offseason.

Best value (outside the first round): Gallup

The ninth receiver drafted in 2018, Gallup has combined for 1,950 receiving yards the past two seasons. That’s 24th in the NFL and second among receivers drafted in 2018 (behind Calvin Ridley). With 80 players chosen ahead of him, Gallup has certainly outplayed his original draft spot. The Cowboys also found a steal among the undrafted free agents with cornerback Charvarius Ward, whom they traded to Kansas City, where he has 16 passes defended over the past two seasons as a starter.

Biggest miss: Dorance Armstrong

Despite the Cowboys not picking up his fifth-year option, I am not ready to label Vander Esch as a “miss” just yet because he has All-Pro potential if he stays on the field. Armstrong has had a nondescript three-year run in Dallas (2.5 career sacks), despite the team giving him every opportunity to stay on the field. With the Cowboys going front-seven heavy in this year’s draft, Armstrong will be fighting for a job.

-

13. Eagles
17. Giants
20. Commanders

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Can't link it but you know where it is.

12. Dallas Cowboys
1(19) Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St.
2(50) Connor Williams G Texas

After his Pro Bowl rookie season, Leighton Vander Esch appeared to be the easy answer to this question, but neck and collarbone injuries have put his future in limbo. Gallup had a breakout season in year two with 66 catches for 1,107 yards and six touchdowns over 14 games, when he led the team in receiving yards per game. With the addition of CeeDee Lamb, Gallup’s future in Dallas is clouded, but he should cash in next offseason.

The ninth receiver drafted in 2018, Gallup has combined for 1,950 receiving yards the past two seasons. That’s 24th in the NFL and second among receivers drafted in 2018 (behind Calvin Ridley). With 80 players chosen ahead of him, Gallup has certainly outplayed his original draft spot. The Cowboys also found a steal among the undrafted free agents with cornerback Charvarius Ward, whom they traded to Kansas City, where he has 16 passes defended over the past two seasons as a starter.

Despite the Cowboys not picking up his fifth-year option, I am not ready to label Vander Esch as a “miss” just yet because he has All-Pro potential if he stays on the field. Armstrong has had a nondescript three-year run in Dallas (2.5 career sacks), despite the team giving him every opportunity to stay on the field. With the Cowboys going front-seven heavy in this year’s draft, Armstrong will be fighting for a job.

-

13. Eagles
17. Giants
20. Commanders
Impressive draft.
Our front office has a lot of issues
But the draft is not one of them.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Just posted in another thread as to how the argument can be easily made that the entire class is elsewhere in 2022.

Therefore I expect an overpayment to either LVE or Gallup, depending.
Draft folks get the talent
It's up to the front office to retain it

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can't link it but you know where it is.

12. Dallas Cowboys
1(19) Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St.
2(50) Connor Williams G Texas

-

13. Eagles
17. Giants
20. Commanders
Checks some boxes, but misses some. 4 starters is a good class. But there is a possibility 0 starters remain after 2021.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If LVE regain his 2018 form that’s a solid draft class.
I think its solid even without. You want more from Williams as a 2nd rounder, but Gallup and Shultz have been great value. Getting quality blocking and a 60 season is a big win for a 4th round TE

I think if LVE bounces back and we retain another of the starter (preferably not Williams) then this becomes a good class.

There is also the possibility that Gallup walks, and we give Wilson a small extention to replace him

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I am impressed by your like total
I was out for awhile, just bored with the team. When I left, trouty and locimus shot past Risen in likes.

I am pretty sure Risen taught Trouty to speak English and figured out posting twitter releases and news threads first was a foolproof way to run up likes.

Came back and he had well over a 5 digit lead on the next closest.

A true likes hoo-waarh

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think its solid even without. You want more from Williams as a 2nd rounder, but Gallup and Shultz have been great value. Getting quality blocking and a 60 season is a big win for a 4th round TE

I think if LVE bounces back and we retain another of the starter (preferably not Williams) then this becomes a good class.

There is also the possibility that Gallup walks, and we give Wilson a small extention to replace him

Agree, but I also weight draft classes i.e. hitting on your early picks is much critical than later rounds.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
It's a pretty poor ranking overall, there's really no consistent methodology. The Bears, for instance, are #9, but they didn't hit on anyone except Roquan.
Yeah, he doesn't even bother to describe a methodology.

That said, value is non-linear. Getting one MVP/DPOY type player in the draft is way more valuable than getting, say, two or three solid starters. These players are coming from the right end of the bell curve: stepping down (left) a bit in quality means a big jump in the number of comparable guys.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Agree, but I also weight draft classes i.e. hitting on your early picks is much critical than later rounds.
Why? In the end, what difference does it make if Tom Brady was a 1st-rounder or a 6th-rounder?

If you're trying to evaluate the draft process (rather than the draft class), then maybe you want to focus on when guys are taken...but even then, being able to find useful pieces late is valuable and maybe even more difficult than picking goot players up front.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Absolutely. You miss on those early and you put yourself in a position to wheee you need to hit on a pick that has a much lower success probability

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I was out for awhile, just bored with the team. When I left, trouty and locimus shot past Risen in likes.

I am pretty sure Risen taught Trouty to speak English and figured out posting twitter releases and news threads first was a foolproof way to run up likes.

A true likes hoo-waarh
He good! Lol

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

A true likes hoo-waarh
Where is loco?
Have not seen him post in awhile.