Brugler ranks the draft classes

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cowboys draft didn’t change anything.

The micro is a little better but the macro is the same.

Dallas didn’t really improve their team. They just plugged some holes that can be easily plugged with what was already here.
I think Cooks and Gilly move the needle a little bit…just not enough.

Mazi will be a nice addition to the DL and help the run D but our run D was rock solid down the stretch and in the playoffs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Dallas didn’t really improve their team.
:huh:.....improving run defense (and by extention more 3rd and longs which aids the pass rushing)and the running game by blocking (which helps the whole game, not just RB1)....is macro improvement. I think you got your micro and macro confused.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
:huh:.....improving run defense (and by extention more 3rd and longs which aids the pass rushing)and the running game by blocking (which helps the whole game, not just RB1)....is macro improvement. I think you got your micro and macro confused.
We weren’t losing because of run defense.

I know we like to pretend like the run defense was this big weakness but it wasn’t.

By modern day standards we had an elite defense.

We were a 12-5 team that had a QB collapse on the big stage and instead we’re pointing at all these other things that did not matter.

What matters is Mr. 40 million actually stepping up in big games and be the answer and not the problem.

Mazi Smith ain’t changing squat.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We weren’t losing because of run defense.

I know we like to pretend like the run defense was this big weakness but it wasn’t.

By modern day standards we had an elite defense.

We were a 12-5 team that had a QB collapse on the big stage and instead we’re pointing at all these other things that did not matter.

What matters is Mr. 40 million actually stepping up in big games and be the answer and not the problem.

Mazi Smith ain’t changing squat.
I think it's a tad more sophisticated than that. Have you considered that with Mazi, we'll aid LVE and Clark making tackles.
What about the increased number of 3rd and long scenarios which gives our excellent pass rush even better chance of sacks....or force the QB to throw in the direction of 2 very decent CB2's.
As in the early years, Dak needs a running game to play off, that and an elite Defense is the way forward.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think it's a tad more sophisticated than that. Have you considered that with Mazi, we'll aid LVE and Clark making tackles.
What about the increased number of 3rd and long scenarios which gives our excellent pass rush even better chance of sacks....or force the QB to throw in the direction of 2 very decent CB2's.
As in the early years, Dak needs a running game to play off, that and an elite Defense is the way forward.
We’ve seen Dak with just about everything except a perfect team with no weakness which is just a delusional thing to ask for in the salary cap era while paying a QB a mega deal.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Dallas didn’t really improve their team. They just plugged some holes that can be easily plugged with what was already here.
I disagree on easily. They could have been plugged with what was already there, but there's a good chance we'd be worse.

McKeon moving up the ladder with Schultz gone would not have made our tight end group better. Bohanna or Gallimore moving up the ladder with Watkins gone would not have made our DT group better. Both those positions could be improved, and it's possible they could be improved quite a bit.

morasp

Reaction score
Considering their limited draft capital I liked what the Broncos did.

63 Marvin Mims Jr. WR
67 Drew Sanders LB
83 Riley Moss CB
183 JL Skinner S
257 Alex Forsyth C

cnuball21

Reaction score
Considering their limited draft capital I liked what the Broncos did.

63 Marvin Mims Jr. WR
67 Drew Sanders LB
83 Riley Moss CB
183 JL Skinner S
257 Alex Forsyth C
Home run IMO…great picks.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't get why so many people get so caught up in these types of rankings when they mean absolutely nothing. The bust rate on NFL draft picks remains extremely high meaning all consensus rankings floating around before the draft and after are complete garbage and are not a predictor of anything. Coaching, injuries, and opportunity play a much bigger role in whether a player becomes something in the NFL. If the Eagles did such a great job drafting a bunch of sliding players that every team passed on multiple times, then why do teams need scouts at all? The Eagles could have had the exact same draft by doing no preparation at all and simply turning on the TV and selecting from the best available list. That may look good the day after the draft but how often do sliding players workout? Sure there are Aaron Rodgers situations but many of them prove exactly why they slide in the first place. If you want to be worried about the Eagles, I'd worry more about the better coaching and lockeroom culture those guys will have more so than the actual players. They are just as much a crapshoot as every other player is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Give it a few years. If we get 2 solid starters and a rotational player or 2 I consider it a win.
We already have two starters. Mazi and Schoon. I bet by the end of the year that Overshown will be in on a lot of plays. I also bet that Deuce gets in the action.

morasp

Reaction score
We already have two starters. Mazi and Schoon. I bet by the end of the year that Overshown will be in on a lot of plays. I also bet that Deuce gets in the action.
Hope so with Deuce. He's fun to watch.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Dallas sat in late round spots and just took player they liked best.
I think this draft will work out quote well but I can't say values are considered great.