Brugler's Big Board 3.0: Top 100

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's true, they have. I will say this though, I hated the Smith pick, the Gregory pick, the Lawrence pick and while I didn't hate the Taco pick, it was definitely not the player I wanted.

And they claim that I have a negative attitude! :laugh:

But seriously, there were a few in there that I wasn't crazy about either. But like a fan, you hope for the best.

Recently, I was a TJ Watt guy (if everyone hadn't heard already) and I was against the Taco pick originally. But I've tried to come around on that and look at his positives as well.

But one thing I don't want to see any more are the risks being taken with significant draft picks like with Lee, Gregory, and Jaylon Smith. The 2nd round is no place to roll the dice. Play it safe and draft smart.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Great route running in college, a post looks like a post not a bow.....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well to start, I am not suggesting we shouldn't look at finding another OG.

I am saying using the first round pick for one would be a mistake.

Again, I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but I think there are also worse mistakes they could make.

Hurst, Roquan Smith, Kolton Miller, Taven Bryan for instance. I'd much prefer a starting left guard over any of those options if it came down to it.

And yes, we've used premium picks on defense but a few have been really big risks - Smith, Gregory, even Charlton was considered a reach last year. And the fact remains, some of those picks hasn't worked and the defense still lacks talent, especially the equivalent of talent that the offense has.

Ok, I'm good with all of that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Of course there are worst choices. They could take a TE at 19.

But if the pick comes and there are some quality defenders on the board but they go with an OG at 19, that's a mistake IMO.

cowboyec

Reaction score

But if the pick comes and there are some quality defenders on the board but they go with an OG at 19, that's a mistake IMO.
I dont think they will in that scenario.
With the recent flurry of DTs being added to the 30 list....as it stands today only one interior OL is on the list who has a 1st Rd Grade...James Daniels,Iowa.
There is a REAL chance unless Ridley or Vea slip that the pick is DaRon Payne or Harold Landry.
LVE is a real option as well....(I know you dont like him but hey,atleast he's not a OG right).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And they claim that I have a negative attitude! :laugh:

But seriously, there were a few in there that I wasn't crazy about either. But like a fan, you hope for the best.

Recently, I was a TJ Watt guy (if everyone hadn't heard already) and I was against the Taco pick originally. But I've tried to come around on that and look at his positives as well.

But one thing I don't want to see any more are the risks being taken with significant draft picks like with Lee, Gregory, and Jaylon Smith. The 2nd round is no place to roll the dice. Play it safe and draft smart.

I wanted TJ Watt as well.

I don't think it has to be a negative thing. I just wanted other players, didn't like the picks but hey, it is what it is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wanted TJ Watt as well.

I don't think it has to be a negative thing. I just wanted other players, didn't like the picks but hey, it is what it is.

I agree, but for some people, it's one way or the other. You're either "on board" or you're not. No in-betweens.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm curious as to your personal list of "quality defenders"? Just to compare notes and personal preferences.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
in that scenario,its Daniels.
Wynn is not an official 30 invite and Hernandez was removed from the list.
hernandez's agent and hernandez himself have been in dallas for draft prep.
the team knows him well and has connections to him.
no need for a visit to feel he is viable.

cowboyec

Reaction score
hernandez's agent and hernandez himself have been in dallas for draft prep.
the team knows him well and has connections to him.
no need for a visit to feel he is viable.
he'd be the first since Mo' Claiborne...Im for it.He's one of the best interior OL in the draft and would keep Collins at OT.
0 problem with him at 19.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
he'd be the first since Mo' Claiborne...Im for it.He's one of the best interior OL in the draft and would keep Collins at OT.
0 problem with him at 19.
per birddog26
Hernandez has been on the Cowboys radar for a couple of years now. Scout Sam Garza has deep ties at UTEP and Cowboys have visited with Hernandez several times already and can do private workout. They should have a good feeling already and can save the visit for another player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I can't help but to think, if Hernandez isn't their first pick, I think they'd be trying very hard to make him their second pick. In other words, if they drafted someone else at #19, they'd immediately start working the phones with trade offers to get back into the tail end of round one.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That's not a safe assumption. They likely know enough about Hernandez already. I'm not sure why Wynn wouldn't be an invite.

In the back of my head, I think the team is targeting OG in the first. I don't like it, and I don't really know why I think that, but I can see them doing it and then telling us that it's because they're committed to the dominating OL.

I'd be ok with it in a trade back, depending how the board broke in front of us, if we could net another top 100 pick. I'd rather we add to the defense front 7 at 19, but if the DT isn't there, I don't really love the LBs at 19. I'd be ok moving back and trying to add one in the 20's somewhere with the two OGs as a fallback option.

It is likely because between Looney and the guard from Cleveland we signed you see a hole at OG. There is a big old hole at OG almost as significant as the ones at LB and similar to S.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It's a question mark that should and can easily be filled without using your 19th pick IMO.

Why should it? When you look at the list of OG and C prospects it is not deep at all particularly after you realize how many are going to be picked early. If Price goes in the first there could be as many as 5 interior linemen drafted in the first round. Once you get past Corbett they are gone.

It makes sense to draft interior OL given the supply. And they one we draft will start having a significant effect on this and subsequent seasons.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why should it? When you look at the list of OG and C prospects it is not deep at all particularly after you realize how many are going to be picked early. If Price goes in the first there could be as many as 5 interior linemen drafted in the first round. Once you get past Corbett they are gone.

It makes sense to draft interior OL given the supply. And they one we draft will start having a significant effect on this and subsequent seasons.

Bloggingtheboys.com did a mock draft exercise and came to that same conclusion. That position was the one that dried up the most quickly if you didn't take one early.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...k-for-dallas-cowboys-vita-vea-shaquem-griffin

diefree666

Reaction score
I was surprised at the lack of depth as regards OG this draft. You have maybe six guys that are first and second round and just maybe early third round and then really not much until like the 5th or so. I think there is a good chance that by our second pick all the really good prospects are gone. OT is actually worse; maybe only 3 or 4 that are first and second round prospects.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was surprised at the lack of depth as regards OG this draft. You have maybe six guys that are first and second round and just maybe early third round and then really not much until like the 5th or so. I think there is a good chance that by our second pick all the really good prospects are gone. OT is actually worse; maybe only 3 or 4 that are first and second round prospects.

I agree. And as much as I love Vea and would still run to the podium if he's there at #19, I wouldn't be devastated if he wasn't. I don't want to pass on him, but I think that there are other options of he I said home, like Payne and Tim Settle. Personally, I think Settle is being underrated a bit and I'd be happy to scoop him up if we didn't get Vea earlier.

Ideally, in a perfect world, I'd come out of the first two rounds with big uglies at guard and nose tackle. Vea and Hernandez somehow, some way, is my own dream scenario.

RomoFor6

Reaction score
I like Moore but I don't think he's a smart pick at 19. I like Brugler but disagree with him here.

I think taking a guy like St. Brown in the 2nd makes more sense. Brown is taller, almost as fast, shows good route running skills, shows separation, very good blocker. He's getting dinged because his 2017 wasn't great but that wasn't his fault, ND's QB play was dreadful.
you're the same Jabroni who laughed when I said Moore won't be available at 19 last month. Now that your favorite draft analyst has him ranked 14th you must feel pretty stupid huh.. eat the crow boy

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Yes, nice call
I think they are interested in a T that can kick in while Tyron is healthy & out when he isn't. If a highly rated T falls, I could definitely see them being very interested.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
you're the same Jabroni who laughed when I said Moore won't be available at 19 last month. Now that your favorite draft analyst has him ranked 14th you must feel pretty stupid huh.. eat the crow boy
I disagree with you, but i hope you are right!! Just helps push players at positions of need down to us.