Recap: Bryan Broaddus Raiders All-22 Review and Roster Impact

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Good listen, recap below.

WR
  • Not sure if Boys want 5 or 6
  • Croppers performance gave some receivers new life to stay
RB
  • Deuce used to be a dance guy. Coaches changed him and goes for the hole quick. He is only explosive guy so they will consider him. He got hurt though so might be too late to win a job.
  • Scared that Cowboys will try to carry 5 RBs with Leupke and block out lineman, corner, someone more important.
  • Thinks Cowboys are protecting Zeke. Never practices in front of press or TC fans. Not letting media evaluate him because Broaddus thinks they would be questioning Zeke’s job. Not sure much difference between Zeke and Freeman, and Freeman may even be better.
TE
  • John Stephens actually had some good blocks.
  • Spann-Ford played himself off team. Not good blocker or route runner.
  • Thinks TEs will be Fergy, Stephens, Schoon and possibly Leupke as TE/RB.
OL
  • Waletzko played all game and no sacks.
  • Cowboys told him all TC Asim Richards is better OT but now playing him at OG so watch that one, because something happening.
LB
  • Liafu and Harvey played horrible Rams game but turned around for Raiders game. Too anxious, aggressive and jumping gaps
  • Thinks defense is going to be great with new Zimm scheme and LBs. If first teamers were out there, could see Raiders run game completely shut down.
DL
  • Albert Huggins played 3 tech, square… there were whispers he was done but back in good graces with coaches.
CB
  • Hall played really well. Only bad play was missed open field tackle.
  • Izzy, they trying find spot for him. Safety is covered.
  • Who is JL’s backup at slot. Thinks Carson is more outside guy so Booth, Hall and Izzy probably battling for last CB spot. Keeping 1 or 2. Still a battle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

WR
RB
  • Deuce used to be a dance guy. Coaches changed him and goes for the hole quick. He is only explosive guy so they will consider him. He got hurt though so might be too late to win a job.
  • Scared that Cowboys will try to carry 5 RBs with Leupke and block out lineman, corner, someone more important.
  • Thinks Cowboys are protecting Zeke. Never practices in front of press or TC fans. Not letting media evaluate him because Broaddus thinks they would be questioning Zeke’s job. Not sure much difference between Zeke and Freeman, and Freeman may even be better.
TE
OL
  • Cowboys told him all TC Asim Richards is better OT but now playing him at OG so watch that one, because something happening.
LB
  • Liafu and Harvey played horrible Rams game but turned around for Raiders game. Too anxious, aggressive and jumping gaps
  • Thinks defense is going to be great with new Zimm scheme and LBs. If first teamers were out there, could see Raiders run game completely shut down.
DL
  • Albert Huggins played 3 tech, square… there were whispers he was done but back in good graces with coaches.
CB
  • Who is JL’s backup at slot. Thinks Carson is more outside guy so Booth, Hall and Izzy probably battling for last CB spot. Keeping 1 or 2. Still a battle.

Thanks for this recap. Much appreciated!
:thumbup:

Jarntt

Reaction score

WR
RB
TE
OL
LB
DL
CB

I didn't watch because Broaddus just makes stuff up but:
WR - when have the Cowboys gone with less than 6 WRs to start the year? Combine that with Lambs issue and I expect it will be more than 5 again
DL - I'd be shocked if Huggins made the team

reddyuta

Reaction score
argh Waletzko,dude has not progressed one bit and looked like a human turnstile at times.If we have to play him at any point in time then we are screwed.I am more amazed we havent seen Asim Richards at Tackle where we are short of bodies and instead he has played mostly at guard.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
argh Waletzko,dude has not progressed one bit and looked like a human turnstile at times.If we have to play him at any point in time then we are screwed.I am more amazed we havent seen Asim Richards at Tackle where we are short of bodies and instead he has played mostly at guard.
I wasn’t overly impressed with him either. There some Cooper Beebe breakdown videos and all I could watch was Waletzko letting guys turn the corner on him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I thought Andrew Booth played a nice game. He game up one long ball early but was very active for most of the game. I like the way he tackles which is always a big deal for corners.

Folks will be clamoring for Florenoy but he has really inconsistent hands (dropped a couple passes the previous week too). That slant he dropped from Lance was all him; the ball went right through his hands. His route running is very Dez like…rounded off and imprecise. That said, he has some size and tools but may be best suited for practice squad.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Richards has been surprisingly good at OG.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

WR
RB
TE
OL
LB
DL
CB

Lance????

reddyuta

Reaction score
Cooks, Lamb, Tolbert, Turpin should
Be locks.

I think the rest of those guys are fighting for one spot. Taking 6 seems excessive.
we kept 6 last season.I think they still like Brooks for some reason and i also think they will keep Flournoy since he is a draft pick and plays the X spot.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
we kept 6 last season.I think they still like Brooks for some reason and i also think they will keep Flournoy since he is a draft pick and plays the X spot.
They kept 6 because they had Gallup. I think they would’ve kept 5 if he wasn’t on that deal.

I think Brooks gets last spot and Flournoy gets Ps spot or the 6th if they keep 6.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Beautiful recap wish more would do that!!!

Now let's focus on the Zeke aspect of this, why are they trying to protect him, protect him from what? Being seen that he's not a good runner anymore except for short things

_sturt_

Reaction score
The UDFA they give the most bonus money generally has a 50/50 track record of making the team.

Spann-Ford was this year's guy. But if he's not blocking well, that pretty much craters the leading reason they made him a priority... there was even talk that he could end up as a hybrid TE/OT at first.

I'm wondering, too, in that same conversation, if Fant isn't playing himself onto the roster bubble.

Freeman... a guy who only even got snaps on the Rams team last year when they had no other plausible alternative on the roster due to injuries... is not going to get a nod over Zeke. I'm not much of a predictions kinda guy, but I'm confident of that much. I don't care that he had a handful of nice plays in one preseason game. Freeman's best chance at a roster spot is and always has been for Luepke to disappoint. They are about the same big boy size, with about the same stronger regard as runners than they are blockers. That's his ticket.

Creeper

Reaction score
No one is making the team based on 1 preseason game. I used to trust Broaddus's opinions but not so much anymore.

He didn't mention Flournoy who looks to be better than all those other guys like McMath, etc. I think he makes the team. It's going to be Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin and Flournoy, and maybe they keep one other guy. I love Kelvin Harmon's hands. But I wonder why he hasn't stuck with another team. I think the 6th guy could be Brooks. They'll try to sneak a couple of the other guys onto the practice squad.

At RB, my first thought is, we don't know what to say about Zeke because we haven't seen him play. I don't think they need to keep more than 4 including Luepke so this could be a tough positions to make cuts. Based on what I have seen, it's Dowdle, Freeman, Deuce, Davis, Connor. Assuming they keep Zeke and Luepke, I think they keep maybe 3 more. That would be Dowdle, Freeman, and Deuce - because MM says he helps on special teams. But as they go through other positions they may find they want to keep more players at other positions and one other RB will get cut.

I did not see what Bryan saw with Stephens blocking. I saw him get shoved into the backfield by a DE, and it wasn't Maxx Crosby. I actually thought he had a mediocre game against the Raiders. But I think he makes the team.

I also did not see Waletzko have a good game. He struggles but to his credit he was facing one of the top DE in the league at the beginning of the game. I really like what I see from Richards, and if he is a better tackle than guard than move him out there and give him some reps. It may mean keeping one of the younger OL over Edoga who I think is wasted space.

Again, this was one game and guys like Liafua will need time to adjust to the NFL.

DL, the problem is still pass rush. Micah will help there. I thought the few snaps Phillips played he looked pretty good. Upon further review I changed me mind. He was okay, but for his first game and just arriving I'd cut him some slack. He is a big dude and could help. I liked what I saw from Rodgers, and Huggins did have a better game. Even Daxon looked better but he seemed to wear out by the 4th quarter. I wonder ho many DTs they will keep.

The DE are going to be a problem unless Lawson comes in looking like a stud. Kneeland looks really good against the run but lacks the quickness to be much of a pass rushers. Maybe he develops some moves over time. Fehoko looks to be a bit quicker but can't get off blocks. Maybe he needs time too. Golston showed why they moved him inside a couple of years ago. Muhammad looked to be the best pass rusher of the bunch, but he is a JAG.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That was my only thing about Kneeland is will he have the speed to get to the QB, I think he has the motor, and not all guys have to be speed rushers, we'll see how it goes for him! Waletzko I didn't see that much either.

I think WR Brooks has to be a lock for this team. I would keep an extra WR for game one depending on when Lamb signs, he comes in and pulls a hammy we're going to be stuck

blueblood70

Reaction score

WR
RB
TE
OL
LB
DL
CB

That's a nice recap but I can tell you this for one zeke doesn't need to practice a lot he's one of those veterans why not keep people guessing I mean you got somebody over there in Atlanta not even playing their new shiny toy at quarterback because they said he's got enough work in the man's being bubble wrapped and he needs work see does it and yet we're talking about Ezekiel Elliott too much... Only real games will dictate if this guy is being protected because he's washed or they're just trying to keep people guessing but I know this he's probably not running a lot and he shouldn't he doesn't need it man's got more mileage on him since college than most any other starting running back in the league and he deserves the time off just like ohh what's his name tyron Smith..

Yes, Booth looked solid for comig off plan and suiting up right away..id say he is the slot guy behind Jlew..

And by the way I haven't been watching span for that much but I do know this they didn't go after him and give him extra bonus money to cut him so they're going to find a way to keep him on the team some way phantom injury IRI I don't know but you don't pay that kind of money and then cut a guy so when they say he's off the team they're not considering the fact that they see something in him paid extra money to put him here so they're not gonna give up on him yet.. But we are deep at tight end so even keeping luepke in my opinion, hunter may not make this team, because we have too many big running backs that can do the same thing that is why I think deuce Vaughn makes the team because he's the change of pace back we need because everyone else seems to look a lot alike..

By the way I try to tell people who wanted Huggins off the team after that practice incident that the reason he wasn't cut because I see something in him and too bad you guys wanna see a man lose his job but it's not happening because at that position either at three tech or backup nose tackle we're kinda thin right there so he's probably gonna make the team..

I'm also encouraged by the linebacker core and you know that we haven't even seen the starters really and overshown and kendricks playing next to each other and then having other guys on this team that to me are better depth than we had last year.