Recap: Bryan Broaddus Raiders All-22 Review and Roster Impact

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It was bad after he got hurt, the second year in a row with a knee injury. His last year here, he started out OK, some good (6.23 YPC against Philly), some bad (2.58 against Wash), before injuring his knee in the seventh game (and missing the next two).

I think some fans forget how much the injuries sapped him. Of course, he's at the point where injuries are likely to be an issue every year.
Agreed. All his last years, strong in the beginning, and then body couldn’t take it by the end. Was it that Panthers game a few years ago where him and Pollard both had 100 yards? Damn, I thought we had the best thunder and lightning combo since the MB3 days but thunder lost it in the end. And to be clear, I’ve always been a huge Zeke fan, but I’m just being realistic. If Zeke has any type of rebirth, it’s because of those young offensive linemen coming out strong.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Agreed. All his last years, strong in the beginning, and then body couldn’t take it by the end. Was it that Panthers game a few years ago where him and Pollard both had 100 yards? Damn, I thought we had the best thunder and lightning combo since the MB3 days but thunder lost it in the end. And to be clear, I’ve always been a huge Zeke fan, but I’m just being realistic. If Zeke has any type of rebirth, it’s because of those young offensive linemen coming out strong.
It's going to be tough. I expect a decent start by him again, since he did it both of his last years here (although I can't say I know what happened in New England). But he's at the wall for running backs, so I'm not expecting a rebirth. I think he'll get injured, try to play through it and end up having a similar output as his last few seasons. I'm hoping that's not the case, but I can't say it's a realistic hope.

Thing is, if he does get taken back down by injury, I'm not sure who can step up. I can't sit here and say Dowdle can survive with more carries since he's had his own injury issues. I can't say Freeman has starter ability since he's washed out in that role. I can't say Vaughn can step up since he didn't do much as a rookie (despite also looking good last preseason).

We're hoping a combination of those backs will get the job done, but if Zeke is not our lead dog, I'm not sure who else is capable. Maybe one of them will seize the role, but I'll believe it when I see it during the regular season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I will say his best chance is if we are able to make the middle of the line stronger, which likely means if Beebe is able to seize the starting center job. Having two All-Pro guards and a power center plays best to Elliott's running style since he's going to do most of his work between the tackles. We can go ground and pound when we run up until he gets injured.

I think that's why we brought in a similar-style back in Freeman, with that in mind since our OC and OL coach both seem to like an inside zone blocking scheme. I'm not sure Freeman gets a spot over Vaughn, though, since Vaughn is really the only shifty back we've got. Dowdle does OK outside the tackles, but Vaughn is our only make-you-miss guy.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL at keeping 5 running backs.

I mean this is the 2018 WR situation all over again. Elliott being protected because they know he looks bad? Who couldn't have seen that one coming if true?

PS - Did Liufau even play that much, or at all, in the Rams game? I thought someone said here he didn't.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Parcellism Trigger Warning:

I remember when that carpetbagger and Jersey Swamp creature - I live in Jersey about 15 min from the Meadowlands lol - came to the Cowboys and we still had some old vets like Woodson and Larry Allen. And of course people were wonderin whether Bill was going to clean house of all the old vets. What's his philosophy for handling older players? He said, "I tell all the vets: At some point during camp you have to show me you can still do it. I don't care about last year or whatever you did before. You have to show me AND YOUR TEAMMATES that you can still do it."

Look, this Zeke thing is scary on a number of levels. If anything, Zeke needs the reps more than anything just to get his body acclimated to contact.

I COMPLETELY support the team stonewalling Dak...heck I'll even tolerate us pissing off CeeDee to get the right culture here. But going into the season without addressing RB with a true stud is dumbfounding...unless you are truly trying to sabotage Dak. It's CLEAR he can't carry a team without a run game...so giving him Zeke is assuring failure.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
LOL at keeping 5 running backs.

I mean this is the 2018 WR situation all over again. Elliott being protected because they know he looks bad? Who couldn't have seen that one coming if true?

PS - Did Liufau even play that much, or at all, in the Rams game? I thought someone said here he didn't.
Zeke seemed fine in camp yesterday.

He ran many of the plays with the 1s.

DV seems to be the 4th RB and the 2nd or 3rd PR.

frickster

Reaction score
argh Waletzko,dude has not progressed one bit and looked like a human turnstile at times.If we have to play him at any point in time then we are screwed.I am more amazed we havent seen Asim Richards at Tackle where we are short of bodies and instead he has played mostly at guard.
Yup the smart thing would have been to play tackle after Guyton. He played a little last year and help up ok.