Recap: Bryan Broaddus Raiders All-22 Review and Roster Impact

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Good listen, recap below.

WR
  • Not sure if Boys want 5 or 6
  • Croppers performance gave some receivers new life to stay
RB
  • Deuce used to be a dance guy. Coaches changed him and goes for the hole quick. He is only explosive guy so they will consider him. He got hurt though so might be too late to win a job.
  • Scared that Cowboys will try to carry 5 RBs with Leupke and block out lineman, corner, someone more important.
  • Thinks Cowboys are protecting Zeke. Never practices in front of press or TC fans. Not letting media evaluate him because Broaddus thinks they would be questioning Zeke’s job. Not sure much difference between Zeke and Freeman, and Freeman may even be better.
TE
  • John Stephens actually had some good blocks.
  • Spann-Ford played himself off team. Not good blocker or route runner.
  • Thinks TEs will be Fergy, Stephens, Schoon and possibly Leupke as TE/RB.
OL
  • Waletzko played all game and no sacks.
  • Cowboys told him all TC Asim Richards is better OT but now playing him at OG so watch that one, because something happening.
LB
  • Liafu and Harvey played horrible Rams game but turned around for Raiders game. Too anxious, aggressive and jumping gaps
  • Thinks defense is going to be great with new Zimm scheme and LBs. If first teamers were out there, could see Raiders run game completely shut down.
DL
  • Albert Huggins played 3 tech, square… there were whispers he was done but back in good graces with coaches.
CB
  • Hall played really well. Only bad play was missed open field tackle.
  • Izzy, they trying find spot for him. Safety is covered.
  • Who is JL’s backup at slot. Thinks Carson is more outside guy so Booth, Hall and Izzy probably battling for last CB spot. Keeping 1 or 2. Still a battle.

Agreed with most but disagree with a few. Cowboys would be stupid to let go of Deuce Vaughn. Freeman is not better than Zeke.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Things BB has also said.

"I'm not so sure the coaches think Ferguson is better than Hendershot."

"I have questions about Mike Solari."

BB is nothing but a big wind bag. Someone will disagree with him and he'll say "That's what I'm saying". Clown.

rambo2

Reaction score
Good listen, recap below.

WR
  • Not sure if Boys want 5 or 6
  • Croppers performance gave some receivers new life to stay
RB
  • Deuce used to be a dance guy. Coaches changed him and goes for the hole quick. He is only explosive guy so they will consider him. He got hurt though so might be too late to win a job.
  • Scared that Cowboys will try to carry 5 RBs with Leupke and block out lineman, corner, someone more important.
  • Thinks Cowboys are protecting Zeke. Never practices in front of press or TC fans. Not letting media evaluate him because Broaddus thinks they would be questioning Zeke’s job. Not sure much difference between Zeke and Freeman, and Freeman may even be better.
TE
  • John Stephens actually had some good blocks.
  • Spann-Ford played himself off team. Not good blocker or route runner.
  • Thinks TEs will be Fergy, Stephens, Schoon and possibly Leupke as TE/RB.
OL
  • Waletzko played all game and no sacks.
  • Cowboys told him all TC Asim Richards is better OT but now playing him at OG so watch that one, because something happening.
LB
  • Liafu and Harvey played horrible Rams game but turned around for Raiders game. Too anxious, aggressive and jumping gaps
  • Thinks defense is going to be great with new Zimm scheme and LBs. If first teamers were out there, could see Raiders run game completely shut down.
DL
  • Albert Huggins played 3 tech, square… there were whispers he was done but back in good graces with coaches.
CB
  • Hall played really well. Only bad play was missed open field tackle.
  • Izzy, they trying find spot for him. Safety is covered.
  • Who is JL’s backup at slot. Thinks Carson is more outside guy so Booth, Hall and Izzy probably battling for last CB spot. Keeping 1 or 2. Still a battle.

I can see that Flournoy is making the team.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Agreed with most but disagree with a few. Cowboys would be stupid to let go of Deuce Vaughn. Freeman is not better than Zeke.
Agreed would much rather retain Deuce. Much more upside and the only back with the quick area speed. Love what he brought to the table in week 2.

I too am skeptical if Royce is better than Zeke, regardless I think their skill set is similiar so why keep both?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't know how we would know about Zeke with him just sitting on the bench.
I hear you. It's the few times we've been able to see Zeke during training camp and the scrimmage against the Rams. Zeke looks faster and quicker than he did the last few years he was last with us.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I didn't watch because Broaddus just makes stuff up but:
WR - when have the Cowboys gone with less than 6 WRs to start the year? Combine that with Lambs issue and I expect it will be more than 5 again
DL - I'd be shocked if Huggins made the team
Too many people who know football who talk about the Cowboys respect Broaddus for him to not know his stuff. DC.com staff, The Fan staff, Voch Lombardi, Jeff Cavanaugh, Helmann, Todd Archer, the list goes on and on. He definitely likes to hear himself talk and has been wrong on occasion, but he knows football and knows the league. He just praises some of the players this board hates or vice versa so certain people want to label him as incompetent. But more often than not, his analysis is spot on.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Too many people who know football who talk about the Cowboys respect Broaddus for him to not know his stuff. DC.com staff, The Fan staff, Voch Lombardi, Jeff Cavanaugh, Helmann, Todd Archer, the list goes on and on. He definitely likes to hear himself talk and has been wrong on occasion, but he knows football and knows the league. He just praises some of the players this board hates or vice versa so certain people want to label him as incompetent. But more often than not, his analysis is spot on.
Totally disagree. Do you listen to the crap he makes up sometimes? People think he has inside info and he very seldom ever knows anything. It's hard to be that connected and be wrong that often. And his scouting reports are just awful sometimes.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Broaddus... hardest working man in football. Jerry and Larry worked this hard we'd have 5 more Super Bowls by now....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Human nature. Most people want to put someone down and feel better about themself. Of course he’s been wrong in past, just like every NFL Coach and GM. I enjoy his stuff enough to listen to some of the podcasts. I liked this clip because mostly talked about fringe players,

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Totally disagree. Do you listen to the crap he makes up sometimes? People think he has inside info and he very seldom ever knows anything. It's hard to be that connected and be wrong that often. And his scouting reports are just awful sometimes.
I sort of view Fish as how you just described Broaddus.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No one is making the team based on 1 preseason game. I used to trust Broaddus's opinions but not so much anymore.

He didn't mention Flournoy who looks to be better than all those other guys like McMath, etc. I think he makes the team. It's going to be Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin and Flournoy, and maybe they keep one other guy. I love Kelvin Harmon's hands. But I wonder why he hasn't stuck with another team. I think the 6th guy could be Brooks. They'll try to sneak a couple of the other guys onto the practice squad.

At RB, my first thought is, we don't know what to say about Zeke because we haven't seen him play. I don't think they need to keep more than 4 including Luepke so this could be a tough positions to make cuts. Based on what I have seen, it's Dowdle, Freeman, Deuce, Davis, Connor. Assuming they keep Zeke and Luepke, I think they keep maybe 3 more. That would be Dowdle, Freeman, and Deuce - because MM says he helps on special teams. But as they go through other positions they may find they want to keep more players at other positions and one other RB will get cut.

I did not see what Bryan saw with Stephens blocking. I saw him get shoved into the backfield by a DE, and it wasn't Maxx Crosby. I actually thought he had a mediocre game against the Raiders. But I think he makes the team.

I also did not see Waletzko have a good game. He struggles but to his credit he was facing one of the top DE in the league at the beginning of the game. I really like what I see from Richards, and if he is a better tackle than guard than move him out there and give him some reps. It may mean keeping one of the younger OL over Edoga who I think is wasted space.

Again, this was one game and guys like Liafua will need time to adjust to the NFL.

DL, the problem is still pass rush. Micah will help there. I thought the few snaps Phillips played he looked pretty good. Upon further review I changed me mind. He was okay, but for his first game and just arriving I'd cut him some slack. He is a big dude and could help. I liked what I saw from Rodgers, and Huggins did have a better game. Even Daxon looked better but he seemed to wear out by the 4th quarter. I wonder ho many DTs they will keep.

The DE are going to be a problem unless Lawson comes in looking like a stud. Kneeland looks really good against the run but lacks the quickness to be much of a pass rushers. Maybe he develops some moves over time. Fehoko looks to be a bit quicker but can't get off blocks. Maybe he needs time too. Golston showed why they moved him inside a couple of years ago. Muhammad looked to be the best pass rusher of the bunch, but he is a JAG.
Click link. I believe he did mention Fluornoy. Most of the names are in recap but may have missed him. But yes, not anything on DE depth and I’m worried too. I’m very worried about depth on the entire front seven. A few key injuries and we really will see if that scheme makes a difference. Secondary depth though is looking good.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I wasn’t overly impressed with him either. There some Cooper Beebe breakdown videos and all I could watch was Waletzko letting guys turn the corner on him.
To be fair, not sure Broaddus is either. But I think he mentioned his performance because possibly a fringe player who may have saved his job? Very deep offensive line, excited about future.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Thinks Cowboys are protecting Zeke. Never practices in front of press or TC fans. Not letting media evaluate him because Broaddus thinks they would be questioning Zeke’s job. Not sure much difference between Zeke and Freeman, and Freeman may even be better.
TE
So playing Elliott against the Rams starters in the scrimmage is protecting him?

Maybe Freeman is better at this point (depends on where Elliott is more than were Freeman is), but he's a career journeyman, so I'm doubting that better means much. If Elliott isn't better than Freeman, then our running game is in trouble. And I'm not saying that I wouldn't be OK with Freeman as depth/a backup, just that his career shows that he's not the answer if we want more than that.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Agreed would much rather retain Deuce. Much more upside and the only back with the quick area speed. Love what he brought to the table in week 2.

I too am skeptical if Royce is better than Zeke, regardless I think their skill set is similiar so why keep both?
I don’t know, I think fans are already forgetting how washed up Zeke looked his last year here. And it just got worse as the season went on. Wish the Cowboys would have put some money on a free agent running back. There is a question mark for every single candidate for the job.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He didn't mention Flournoy who looks to be better than all those other guys like McMath, etc. I think he makes the team. It's going to be Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin and Flournoy, and maybe they keep one other guy. I love Kelvin Harmon's hands. But I wonder why he hasn't stuck with another team. I think the 6th guy could be Brooks. They'll try to sneak a couple of the other guys onto the practice squad.
I think we'll defer to the draft picks if it's close, so Flournoy and Brooks will most likely be the fifth and sixth receivers.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you don't know that
Seriously? Your challenging me on that? You should stick with asking questions.

It's common knowledge that Broaddus doesn't like Lance. You been sleeping under a rock or something Coog?

What's next, you don't think water is wet? The world is flat? The sun comes up in the north?

gimmesix

Reaction score
I don’t know, I think fans are already forgetting how washed up Zeke looked his last year here. And it just got worse as the season went on. Wish the Cowboys would have put some money on a free agent running back. There is a question mark for every single candidate for the job.
It was bad after he got hurt, the second year in a row with a knee injury. His last year here, he started out OK, some good (6.23 YPC against Philly), some bad (2.58 against Wash), before injuring his knee in the seventh game (and missing the next two).

I think some fans forget how much the injuries sapped him. Of course, he's at the point where injuries are likely to be an issue every year.

gimmesix

Reaction score
By the way I try to tell people who wanted Huggins off the team after that practice incident that the reason he wasn't cut because I see something in him and too bad you guys wanna see a man lose his job but it's not happening because at that position either at three tech or backup nose tackle we're kinda thin right there so he's probably gonna make the team..
My lean is toward Odighizuwa, Mazi, Phillips and Huggins being the tackles we keep with Rogers and Daxon going on the PS.