Video: Bryan Broaddus talks Dallas Cowboys OTAs, Trey Lance vs Dak Prescott & Ezekeil Elliott

Creeper

Reaction score
Sometimes I agree with Broaddus, but I find myself disagreeing more than agreeing. I do agree with him on a couple of points here. Absolutely they need to know what they have in Trey Lance this offseason. They cannot go through this season not giving him any playing time. If he shows up as something with potential, they can trade him, or have him as Dak's eventual replacement.

As for the offensive line, I am kind of split on this one. I get the idea of developing players now for the future, but it depends on your goals for this season. If the Cowboys really want to win this year, and I am not sure that is truly their goal, then they have to play the best 5 guys on the OL. If it turns out that Guyton and Beebe are not as good as Egoda and Hoffman, then so be it. The rookies need to earn their spots on the starting roster. If, on the other hand, they see this year as a throw away season, then sure, plug in Guyton and Beebe and let them play to develop them. Honestly, if Guyton cannot beat out Edoga for the starting LT spot, that would be an issue for me.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Do you think that you know more than him? He does have decades of experience.
Decades of experience does not necessarily mean he was ever any good at what he does.
There's plenty of people who've stuck around for decades in the same field and absolutely sucked at what they do.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
There is no Trey Lance vs Dak Prescott. Dak is our QB1 and not in competition with anyone for that job. Trey is competing with Rush for QB2,
Not this season, but make no mistake Trey is here for that exact reason.

rambo2

Reaction score
Decades of experience does not necessarily mean he was ever any good at what he does.
There's plenty of people who've stuck around for decades in the same field and absolutely sucked at what they do.
He doesn't suck at scouting football players. He isn't bad.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I agree with Broaddus, Guyton, Beebe and Lance need as many quality reps as they can get. We need to know what they can handle, and we need to know now. We didn't use those quality draft picks to bring these guys along slowly. First team reps for Guyton and Beebe, and the entire preseason for Lance.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
How depressing is it that all 3 players in the headline are players I don't want to hear anything about? This is one of the worst offseasons in the last two decades.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Broaddus was a respected scout and is a very good and respected commentator on the draft and prospects. Beyond that, (shrug)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Broaddus repeats everything that our current coaching staff states is their goal. He does so as if he's the first to think of it. That's just hogwash.

Last edited:

coult44

Reaction score
He’s had a good career. None of us can say we worked for Dallas, Green Bay, and Oakland. Then became a successful podcaster and sports radio host. Good enough to put a kid through UT, fish whenever you want, and still have a good paying cake job.

RoboQB

Reaction score
He’s had a good career. None of us can say we worked for Dallas, Green Bay, and Oakland. Then became a successful podcaster and sports radio host. Good enough to put a kid through UT, fish whenever you want, and still have a good paying cake job.
Okay, if you guys vouch for him, that's cool.
"years of experience" doesn't always mean intelligence,
generally speaking. That was my point.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not this season, but make no mistake Trey is here for that exact reason.
There is no Dak & Trey beyond this season one or both will be gone. The Cowboys will not backroll both to stay on. I believe you are right about Trey but if Dak wins us a championship, Dak will get his extension and Trey's contract will expire.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Broaddus does have a point. Tyler Smith was relegated to backup duties before a couple of injuries thrust him to starting guard, then tackle. Some coaches are loathe to change, especially from “their guys”. It’s been mentioned on various DC podcasts that the OL coach here believes Hoffman’s working hard and is next man up at center.

Neither Broddus nor Voch follow this reasoning.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Broaddus does have a point. Tyler Smith was relegated to backup duties before a couple of injuries thrust him to starting guard, then tackle. Some coaches are loathe to change, especially from “their guys”. It’s been mentioned on various DC podcasts that the OL coach here believes Hoffman’s working hard and is next man up at center.

Neither Broddus nor Voch follow this reasoning.
Tyler was only a backup in camp. He was going to start at OG.