BTB: 6 years ago Sunday was Romo’s duel against Peyton Manning

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Romo takes an avoidable sack which forces a field goal.

Romo-stans be like: "But, the defense!".

Dude, that would have been a valid excuse for EITHER Manning or Romo. Your defense should never give up that many yards/points. The more a QB has to do the bigger chance you have at making mistakes. This should be a simple concept.

And if you remember correctly, that was a pretty dynamic Broncos offense and we had a pretty crappy defense. The offense wasn't the problem in that game.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201310060dal.htm

But for Tony's INT, could have been one of the greatest games in NFL history. Greatest QB duel of all time.

Tony had 506. Manning had 414. Tony had the higher passer rating. Obviously would have been even higher without the INT, and a drive for the seemingly inevitable score. Tony could have won the greatest QB duel in NFL history, against the immortal Peyton Manning.

Romo was headed for passing Norm Van Brocklin's single game passing yards record of 554 set in 1951. That's just getting into FG range.

If we score a breakaway TD, and give the ball back to Manning, which was entirely likely given the poor defense that day, probably break the record for most passing yards by both teams in a game. The current record is 1000 yards, by Schaub and Stafford. They both had lower QB ratings for their game than Tony and Manning.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201201010gnb.htm

I remember thinking at the start of our final drive: "Even if we lose, just don't let it be Romo's fault. Let this be the shining moment of his career. A moment that would last."

But no. Tony's game ends in an INT. Almost, but not quite. Almost Antonio.

Escobar screwed the pooch on that pic, big time.

The first thing they coach you as a receiver on patterns like that is to angle back to the QB. Escobar rounded off his route and allowed the DB to cut under him. It was obvious as it was happening in real time to anyone with a clue. Receiving 101. Escobar was a ***** who avoided contact and he blew that play and let his QB, the team and us down.

Romo's biggest flaw was to often trusting his guys to make a play. With some of the clowns he had to babysit no wonder he tried to do to much at times.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like, literally what are you even talking about? If you claim what he did in the pocket is bad, you are criticizing the basic fundamentals of QB play in the pocket. I mean, honestly, what are you going on about? When was the last time you watched this play? He drops back, scans the field, goes to step up and make the throw, and that's when his leg is hit/foot is stepped on. he threw it "soft" because he was falling. haha

Watch at 0:51 seconds. Again, this place lacks consistency on what they allow to go and what they don't. This is excusable, a ball thrown behind a receiver from a clean pocket is not and I have seen that be excused THREE TIMES this year from Prescott. Three.

I talked about what i talked about. You just keep ignoring it.

I watched the play before I posted.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I remember it well. I called the interception right before Romo threw it. I must be psychic.
Yeah, you knew the olineman would step on his foot as he threw it and the LB would dive and make the best interception of his career.

Probably didn't predict an int on any of the other 8-9 drives the rest of the game either. So got that right too

Incredible psychic skills!

:thumbup:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not me. Never have and never will. Go watch the 1992 championship game. That team would have stomped Manning, 31-20.
Thats the point though.

2013 team with the 1992 defense wins by 4 tds that day
Probably 2011, 2012 too

The whole point is that 8-8 is areal struggle to get to when you have 2-14 level defenses
Olines sucked too back then, relatively speaking.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, you knew the olineman would step on his foot as he threw it and the LB would dive and make the best interception of his career.

Probably didn't predict an int on any of the other 8-9 drives the rest of the game either. So got that right too

Incredible psychic skills!

:thumbup:
I didn't know that but I remember thinking a Romo punt is coming soon and the very next play it happened. Believe I even mentioned it at the time. Romo was so predictable. I knew he'd never win a shootout with Manning. It's sad that the Denver and Buffalo games are Romo's most exciting games.

Undisputed

Reaction score
Probably my favorite loss ever. That rushing TD by Peyton still cracks me up.
:laugh:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I didn't know that but I remember thinking a Romo punt is coming soon and the very next play it happened. Believe I even mentioned it at the time. Romo was so predictable. I knew he'd never win a shootout with Manning. It's sad that the Denver and Buffalo games are Romo's most exciting games.

Most QBs wouldn't win a shootout against Manning. LOL

Do you folks think before posting? What's the deal here? This game was "exciting" on a football level because of the shootout, NFL fans love it, it's one of the reasons for rule changes pushing for passing.

Did you predict a Romo INT against the Lions in the 2014 playoffs? You know, against a better defense than the Broncos? Or was it too positive that he went down the field and got us a W?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Whatever

Talk about selective memory

You do realize he had more game winning 4th drives than any QB in the league his last 4-5 years?
Those don't count?

Ah forget it.
Nevermind.
You're mind has been made-up long ago....and its you're right to you're opinion