BtB: Add this player to the defense, Everson Griffen

Sydla

Reaction score
It's a no brainer IMO. He won't be expensive, likely looking for short term deals at this point, which fits into our cap strategy. He can still play, as he'd be the best RDE on the roster to start the season. He's top level insurance against the reality that Crawford is a JAG at RDE and/or Smith/Gregory don't find their youthful steps again.

I am going to beat the living hell out of this dead horse.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...teran-defender-before-the-start-of-the-season

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's a no brainer IMO. He won't be expensive, likely looking for short term deals at this point, which fits into our cap strategy. He can still play, as he'd be the best RDE on the roster to start the season. He's top level insurance against the reality that Crawford is a JAG at RDE and/or Smith/Gregory don't find their youthful steps again.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...teran-defender-before-the-start-of-the-season
I’d support it.

Dre11

Reaction score
lol another guy right up against the back half of his career, how many of those players do you want? we already have Poe and McCoy on the downside of their careers.

Sydla

Reaction score
lol another guy right up against the back half of his career, how many of those players do you want? we already have Poe and McCoy on the downside of their careers.

He had 8 sacks last year, was a good run stuffer (better than Quinn ever was). He'd be the best RDE on our roster the minute he signed. The aversion some of you have to bringing in an older guy for a year or two that can still play and help is downright strange.

I mean are you really trying to argue here that we are better off starting, say, Tyrone Crawford at RDE? Because that looks to be the plan for now.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL.

He had 8 sacks last year, was a good run stuffer (better than Quinn ever was). He'd be the best RDE on our roster the minute he signed. The aversion some of you have to bringing in an older guy for a year or two that can still play and help is downright strange.

I mean are you really trying to argue here that we are better off starting, say, Tyrone Crawford at RDE? Because that looks to be the plan for now.

Crawford isn't just the RDE, if you haven't paid attention they seem to think a rotation of guys is the plan, again how many 1 year guys on the downside of their career do you want? plus nobody has even sniffed or talked about signing him, if he was that good you would hear something

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've felt for some time that he makes a lot of sense assuming he will agree to a 1year deal with a team option for a 20d year. If he wants something longer term, probably not. I'm excited to see what Aldon Smith has to offer, but it seems a significant gamble to rely too heavily on him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Rather have Ziggy Ansah on a vet min deal.

Dion Jordan was my #1 option, but 9era signed him yesterday.

Sydla

Reaction score
Crawford isn't just the RDE, if you haven't paid attention they seem to think a rotation of guys is the plan, again how many 1 year guys on the downside of their career do you want? plus nobody has even sniffed or talked about signing him, if he was that good you would hear something

Right now, without knowing anything about Smith or Gregory, Crawford is likely your starting DE. Forget the fact that he's a flex guy (which undermines your point anyway), he's not a starting caliber RDE in this league. He's just not. He's a DT trying to play DE.

No one said Griffin is Lawrence Taylor sitting out there. But he's likely a short term solution and he's the best DE you'd have on this roster after Lawrence. I am not scare of older players if they are on short term deals. You squeeze a year out of them, then toss them aside and they have little impact on your cap, etc.

Sydla

Reaction score
I've felt for some time that he makes a lot of sense assuming he will agree to a 1year deal with a team option for a 20d year. If he wants something longer term, probably not. I'm excited to see what Aldon Smith has to offer, but it seems a significant gamble to rely too heavily on him.

Your contract is what I was thinking............ a one year deal with an option or even just a one year deal as insurance for Gregory/Smith. Anything long term is a non starter for me.

Sydla

Reaction score
Rather have Ziggy Ansah on a vet min deal.

Dion Jordan was my #1 option, but 9era signed him yesterday.

I wouldn't mind Ansah but Griffen is the better player at this point. Griffen is also better against the run IMO as well. Another guy I would have looked at was Marcus Golden, but he had a May 5 tender on him, meaning once July 22nd came and went, he had to go back to the Giants.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Gregory is only 27, so he still has youthful steps. Are those youthful steps good enough? I'd say Gregory hasn't ever accomplished anything to think he will be good. It is just based on potential and hope, but not actual production.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Don't think this deal is happening or their waiting to see what's up with RG.

George Edwards has all the info DAL FO needs on Griffen and ain't nothing jumped off, so gotta be some inside info fans are not up on...or dude would be signed already.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gregory is only 27, so he still has youthful steps. Are those youthful steps good enough? I'd say Gregory hasn't ever accomplished anything to think he will be good. It is just based on potential and hope, but not actual production.

I think he was pretty good a few years ago. I am just not sure we should count on him, even at 27, to be able to replicate that.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score

Those are your options when you give one coach too much say in player selection and he selects poorly.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'd be ok w Griffen for sure.

I'm still holding out hope for Clowney, but Im definitely in the minority there.

Mind you....Clowney at no more than 1/10 at this point.

Plankton

Reaction score

Thanks Mickey. You do realize that Griffen has never played fewer than 11 games in a season (twice in 10 years), and played 15 or more in 8 of his 10 seasons. Crawford, on the other hand, missed an entire season, and only played in 4 games last year in an 8 season career. He has been fighting off injuries his entire career, and is coming off of double hip surgery.

Who sounds more like a one year, stop gap guy at the end of the road? Everson Griffen or Tyrone Crawford?

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Thanks Mickey. You do realize that Griffen has never played fewer than 11 games in a season (twice in 10 years), and played 15 or more in 8 of his 10 seasons. Crawford, on the other hand, missed an entire season, and only played in 4 games last year in an 8 season career. He has been fighting off injuries his entire career, and is coming off of double hip surgery.

Who sounds more like a one year, stop gap guy at the end of the road? Everson Griffen or Tyrone Crawford?

So true. And again, Crawford is a DT that they are going to likely play at DE until Smith or Gregory show they can handle that load. Dre sells Crawford's "flexibility" as a plus, and that's fine, but it doesn't cover up the fact he's NOT A STARTING OR HIGH VOLUME RDE.