BtB: Add this player to the defense, Everson Griffen

Dre11

Reaction score
you shouldn't be tired of it, it's actually a underrated aspect on how deep playoff teams are constructed

You have no long-term cap implications, you get immediate improvement in performance, and you actually give your young players time to develop and slowly rotate versus throwing them straight into the gauntlet and then coming onto this form every week complaining "why is this JAG starting"

lol...how has that worked out for us, where has this helped our young players?

Dre11

Reaction score
The next couple years could be very ugly related to the cap and not looking at the ramifications by every team would be incompetence

we've been projecting for years now on this team in regards to the cap, we've had the most cap space I remembered in some time, yet we couldn't even sign our QB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah I still feel that way with Gregory. Again, we have ZERO idea how Gregory is going to come back from a long layoff. Same with Smith.

Let's put it this way............. if the Philadelphia Eagles rolled out Tyrone Crawford (a DT), Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory at RDE, you'd probably laugh at them. But here, people think it's pretty good.

My 6 DEs if I had my way?

SDE - Lawrence, Armstrong, Jackson/Jelks/Anae
RDE - Griffen/Clowney, Gregory, Smith

I am bullish on being to consistently terrorize a QB. It helps get off the field, it creates turnovers, it puts teams in bad positions. Without a Griffen type, I think there is a glaring hole at RDE, a prime pass rush position. Now could we get lucky with Smith and/or Gregory? Sure. That would be awesome, but that's really an unnecessary risk IMO when you have/had some options to bring in a proven player.

I would love to have egg on my face on this come mid-season as Smith/Gregory are killing people on one side. But I've seen enough of these risky plans the Cowboys take instead of proven solutions blow up in our faces to not assume this could be another big mistake.

Not sure I’m in the “we” category.

Gregory, Smith, and Crawford is a heck of a trio at de.

As long as Gregory and Aldon are in great shape and motivated I like the odds.
That said, griffin would be nice at around 8 million.

Clowney is just an exercise in salary cap denial.

conner01

Reaction score
we've been projecting for years now on this team in regards to the cap, we've had the most cap space I remembered in some time, yet we couldn't even sign our QB.
Cap space had nothing to do with not signing Dak
But a disruption of cap growth in the next couple years is real and is gonna be a very big deal for almost every team

Sydla

Reaction score
lol...how has that worked out for us, where has this helped our young players?

What short term players have we signed that have stunted the growth of our young players?

Sydla

Reaction score
Not sure I’m in the “we” category.

Gregory, Smith, and Crawford is a heck of a trio at de.

As long as Gregory and Aldon are in great shape and motivated I like the odds.
That said, griffin would be nice at around 8 million.

Clowney is just an exercise in salary cap denial.

Gregory, Smith and Crawford is absolutely not a heck of a trio. Crawford is an average DE, at best. Smith hasn’t taken a snap in 5 years. I think people thinking we signed Smith circa 2013 are going to be disappointed. Gregory hasn’t taken a snap in a couple of seasons and hasn’t been reinstated.

Clowney is not an exercise in salary cap denial. Well maybe for people that struggle to understand the cap, etc. I bet when Clowney signs, it will be a contract the Cowboys easily could have fit in.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Gregory, Smith and Crawford is absolutely not a heck of a trio. Crawford is an average DE, at best. Smith hasn’t taken a snap in 5 years. I think people thinking we signed Smith circa 2013 are going to be disappointed. Gregory hasn’t taken a snap in a couple of seasons and hasn’t been reinstated.

Clowney is not an exercise in salary cap denial. Well maybe for people that struggle to understand the cap, etc. I bet when Clowney signs, it will be a contract the Cowboys easily could have fit in.[/QUOT]

i

If Gregory gets reinstated I like the trio.

but I understand if you don’t see it.

just don’t portray your confusion or doubt on me.

I see the talents of all 3 and how effective they could be As a unit. Between the 3 they have it all. With plenty of upside.

Tussinman

Reaction score
lol...how has that worked out for us
Terrible because the previous coaching staff absolutely refused to get outside help. Ever heard the quote "we like the guys we have" ? (guess how many games thats cost us in the last 5 years ?).
where has this helped our young players?
I think my post went over your head.

I'm mocking the cowboys (especially the previous administration) for not getting affordable outside help when it's a key aspect of all these teams that make deep playoff runs......... (notice how the cowboys are never one of those teams ? shocker)

For the first time in forever they did that this off season. They signed McCoy and Poe to be veteran starters and then signed Woods to be a veteran backup.

Want to know how that helps young players ? Hill and Gallimore aren't your starters and they don't have to get **** stomped 60 times a game (crazy concept, your young players aren't forced to start when they shouldn't)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
It's a no brainer IMO. He won't be expensive, likely looking for short term deals at this point, which fits into our cap strategy. He can still play, as he'd be the best RDE on the roster to start the season. He's top level insurance against the reality that Crawford is a JAG at RDE and/or Smith/Gregory don't find their youthful steps again.

I am going to beat the living hell out of this dead horse.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...teran-defender-before-the-start-of-the-season

I have a curse on you. It involves sage, carne asada, ascephedida. And mint. To hide the odor.
It is a powerful kind of curse.
Cease your silly musing I implore!

Sydla

Reaction score
I have a curse on you. It involves sage, carne asada, ascephedida. And mint. To hide the odor.
It is a powerful kind of curse.
Cease your silly musing I implore!

Yeah, what I should be talking about is how great Crawford is going to be as a RDE. That seems more sane. LOL.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
So you really don't have anything except who you perceive as having all that influence is here anymore so that's that. Ya you really convinced me on that one.

You don’t remember all those article about the level of influence Marinelli had?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Perhaps Griffen would take us down to zero in cap space and that's if he reduces his demands.

Stephen may not want him enough to cut Crawford. He's banking upon those already in house.

For the time being, at least, it seems evident that he's waiting for another need to present itself.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand that, but that's on the DTs, DE's, LBs and safeties, along with the scheme. It's hard to know how much blame to put on each area, so I get your concern that the DT's played their fair share with that. I just feel it's unlikely that DTs of this caliber just fell off the cliff this one season.

And you would be exactly right. The problem in Carolina last year was with the overall scheme. McCoy and Poe didn't suddenly forget how to play football.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes "been", including last year. Can't get more recent than that, and if history is a factor Griffen's history provides more assurance than the history of a player that hasn't played a single NFL snap in several years.

Meanwhile he's trying to champion retaining a guy who missed almost all of last season and is trying to return from double hip surgery.

No double standards there at all...
:rolleyes:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a no brainer IMO. He won't be expensive, likely looking for short term deals at this point, which fits into our cap strategy. He can still play, as he'd be the best RDE on the roster to start the season. He's top level insurance against the reality that Crawford is a JAG at RDE and/or Smith/Gregory don't find their youthful steps again.

I am going to beat the living hell out of this dead horse.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...teran-defender-before-the-start-of-the-season

There is a reason that Griffen has not been signed by any team...