BTB: Could run stuffing Andrew Billings be a fit for Cowboys

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely 0 correlation between run success and play action success.

Also, the Patriots, for example, didn't bite on it, and the Titans offense was horrible. A good run game doesn't matter.

Yeah everyone knew you had to stop Henry. There’s no secret about it. If he was a decent back then play action doesn’t work as well.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yeah everyone knew you had to stop Henry. There’s no secret about it. If he was a decent back then play action doesn’t work as well.
The Patriots defended the pass first, and let Henry get his. It worked.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
That’s because Patriots are better against the pass than the run. That definitely wasn’t their game plan.

Rocyaice, the argument is pointless. He's stuck in his view and no matter how much evidence to the contrary is there, he's dug in. Kinda like Pappy...………...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Rocyaice, the argument is pointless. He's stuck in his view and no matter how much evidence to the contrary is there, he's dug in. Kinda like Pappy...………...
If someone would present evidence that you need to run the ball, I'd change my mind.

It doesn't exist, because you don't.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That’s just a insane thing to argue about. Arguing against facts.
What facts lol? I literally gave you the facts that say you don't need to run the ball to run play action and you starting blathering about the Titans.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What facts lol? I literally gave you the facts that say you don't need to run the ball to run play action and you starting blathering about the Titans.
So that stat you brought up was for the Titans or was that that for every team in the league? I’m speaking specifically about the Titans and Niners.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So that stat you brought up was for the Titans or was that that for every team in the league? I’m speaking specifically about the Titans and Niners.
You didn't even read it? Don't give me crap about not listening to facts...

quickccc

Reaction score
He never really had a organization sign big free agents.

And that was because of the cap and player personnel philosophy of former GM Ted Thompson, who ironically like Stephen Jones believed in drafting
the core of his players and only prioritizing re-signing current the big impact players who successfully proved themselves.
That was never an in-between, middle ground with Thompson, just when we got that middle ground player to impact rest of the team,
such as with us getting that a Charles Haley or Deion Sanders, .. just as it appears to be with Stephen in recent times. (ala Earl Thomas)

And I cannot think of a single big name, big impact stud FA vet that Thompson brought into help during McCarthy's days.

That didn't change under Thompson with McCarthy in GB, so will that change with Stephen Jones with McCarthy now with the Cowboys ?

John813

Reaction score
And that was because of the cap and player personnel philosophy of former GM Ted Thompson, who ironically like Stephen Jones believed in drafting
the core of his players and only prioritizing re-signing current the big impact players who successfully proved themselves.
That was never an in-between, middle ground with Thompson, just when we got that middle ground player to impact rest of the team,
such as with us getting that a Charles Haley or Deion Sanders, .. just as it appears to be with Stephen in recent times. (ala Earl Thomas)

And I cannot think of a single big name, big impact stud FA vet that Thompson brought into help during McCarthy's days.

That didn't change under Thompson with McCarthy in GB, so will that change with Stephen Jones with McCarthy now with the Cowboys ?

Maybe with Jerry seeing his buddies pass away the past couple years he'll be more of an ambitious in acquiring talent in FA again?

quickccc

Reaction score
Maybe with Jerry seeing his buddies pass away the past couple years he'll be more of an ambitious in acquiring talent in FA again?

i really believe the ball is in his son Stephen's court now.
Jerry has practically and gradually transcended the football operations over to the Stephen/McClay workings.
The reason why the guys like Anthony Hitchen, Barry Church, Brandon Carr, Mo Claiborne, Ron Leary, Demarco Murray etc.,.. and even Dez Bryant end up moving on seems to
point to the works of Stephen Jones.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I’m telling you. That was not a stat about the Titans this year. That was about teams in general.
Which is what matters....seeing as how the Cowboys don't play the Titans 16 times a year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Ok but what does that have to do with how the 9ers and Titans allowing the run to cruise them along in the playoffs?
You're confusing points.

My point is that you don't need to build an offense that's focused on running the ball, or a defense focused on stopping the run, because the pass matters. That holds true for both Tenn and SF - and its funny how Houston (Reader), NE (Shelton), and Min (Joseph) all feature the exact players that Cowboys fans covet. They still got run over.

The Titans didn't cruise in the playoffs. The offense was bad against the Pats and they used the pass to open up the lead against Houston.
The 49ers are a great passing team, and use that to exploit positive running fronts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're confusing points.

My point is that you don't need to build an offense that's focused on running the ball, or a defense focused on stopping the run, because the pass matters. That holds true for both Tenn and SF - and its funny how Houston (Reader), NE (Shelton), and Min (Joseph) all feature the exact players that Cowboys fans covet. They still got run over.

The Titans didn't cruise in the playoffs. The offense was bad against the Pats and they used the pass to open up the lead against Houston.
The 49ers are a great passing team, and use that to exploit positive running fronts.
Niners are a great passing team? Ehhh....Titans damn bear road Henry to the finish line until Mahomes pulled up and crushed their dreams.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Niners are a great passing team? Ehhh....Titans damn bear road Henry to the finish line until Mahomes pulled up and crushed their dreams.
Uh yes. Jimmy G was third in the league in y/a.

NO THEY DIDN'T. They scored 14 poitns against the Pats and threw the ball against the Texans. They lost to the Chiefs b/c they couldn't throw the ball to keep up. The Titans run is direct evidence of what I'm talking about when I say the run game doens't matter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Uh yes. Jimmy G was third in the league in y/a.

NO THEY DIDN'T. They scored 14 poitns against the Pats and threw the ball against the Texans. They lost to the Chiefs b/c they couldn't throw the ball to keep up. The Titans run is direct evidence of what I'm talking about when I say the run game doens't matter.
Ehhh....I don’t consider 3900 yards a great passing attack. I don’t consider 200 yards the past two weeks a great passing attack. How on earth did he win throwing for 77 yards?