BTB: Cowboys’ patience in Randy Gregory could finally pay off in 2021

Jipper

Reaction score
Do we have to trust him? He'll either be a starter or he won't. Either way, I think we have the talent to adequately fill that position.

yeah, you have to trust that he’s not going to do something to get himself suspended.

he won’t be a starter if he’s suspended and can’t be....

at this point I’m 50 50

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes we trust him! He is an impact player and will make a big difference for the defense. Every time he gets on the field he produces. Given a normal off season/training camp/preseason will do wonders for him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you trust him enough to hand him a big new contract if he does well this season?

I mean when he is in he is exciting but it is shocking to think that since he has come into the league he has only managed to have 10.5 sacks. I mean I thought that was a typo at first.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Do you trust him enough to hand him a big new contract if he does well this season?

I mean when he is in he is exciting but it is shocking to think that since he has come into the league he has only managed to have 10.5 sacks. I mean I thought that was a typo at first.

And I believe 6.5 of those came in 1 season so my expectations for him are average starter. Would be a step up from the majority of his career to date.

Paradox

Reaction score
Gregory has never given me a reason to doubt him. He's been up against a meddling commissioner, stupid coaches and unbelievably stupid rules. I trust him and you don't. Therefore, we disagree.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I look forward to see Gregory with a full off season and training camp under his belt and show what many hoped out of him when he was drafted. Last season he was not allowed back until Oct 25th, week 7 and did not see his 1st action until Nov 1st week 8. He has the chance to finally show himself as a legit pass rusher

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I don't think he'll miss time due to the devil's lettuce. So in that case he'll be here for the next 20-21 games of this season. Of course he starts and he'll be at least as good as the last 2 RDE's and most likely much better. I'm pulling for him.

Go Cowboys !

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Randy Gregory’s problems are not just weed. He is bipolar, which is a very real and challenging mental illness that requires consistent treatment in order to live a productive life. I know this because one of my own adult children is bipolar, and as a parent I can tell you that it is a very real challenge for people who live with it.

Randy Gregory has struggled with treatment options. Marijuana is often used by bipolar sufferers to help calm them down. It’s not a great medical option, but for many with bipolar it’s a cheaper, more accessible way to keep them from going off the reservation.

So when I hear fans talking about weed being his problem, it’s an extreme oversimplification. His problem is a mental disorder that requires medication to help that person avoid the manic highs and depressive lows and extreme mood swings that make daily life without treatment difficult. With proper medication, a person with bipolar disorder can live a relatively normal life. Without treatment, a bipolar sufferer can struggle just to function normally and consistently.

By the way, Charles Haley has bipolar disorder as well. You should read recent interviews with him. He talks about his problems before he accepted treatment. It almost derailed his career and life but he accepted his problem and proper treatment.

To the original question, “Do I trust Randy Gregory?” I do if he’s being effectively treated. If he can maintain proper treatment, he can be a very effective pass rusher.

I am really pulling for RG every day.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Randy Gregory’s problems are not just weed. He is bipolar, which is a very real and challenging mental illness that requires consistent treatment in order to live a productive life. I know this because one of my own adult children is bipolar, and as a parent I can tell you that it is a very real challenge for people who live with it.

Randy Gregory has struggled with treatment options. Marijuana is often used by bipolar sufferers to help calm them down. It’s not a great medical option, but for many with bipolar it’s a cheaper, more accessible way to keep them from going off the reservation.

So when I hear fans talking about weed being his problem, it’s an extreme oversimplification. His problem is a mental disorder that requires medication to help that person avoid the manic highs and depressive lows and extreme mood swings that make daily life without treatment difficult. With proper medication, a person with bipolar disorder can live a relatively normal life. Without treatment, a bipolar sufferer can struggle just to function normally and consistently.

By the way, Charles Haley has bipolar disorder as well. You should read recent interviews with him. He talks about his problems before he accepted treatment. It almost derailed his career and life but he accepted his problem and proper treatment.

To the original question, “Do I trust Randy Gregory?” I do if he’s being effectively treated. If he can maintain proper treatment, he can be a very effective pass rusher.

Didn't realize that.

It's very treatable. This guy's only problem was constantly getting suspended and that should be behind him.

We need this guy in a big way to provide a pass rush.

There isn't a whole lot behind him as far as depth...and he is much more of a key factor this season that most think.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Great post. I would also add sometimes it takes the psychiatrist a while to find the “right medications” for the person with Bipolar disorder.

Everybody responds to different medications differently. So sometimes it’s a trial and error process for them to find the course of medications that will help a patient most.

it’s a process and an ongoing one as sometimes a person needs adjustments along the while as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Great post. I would also add sometimes it takes the psychiatrist a while to find the “right medications” for the person with Bipolar disorder.

Everybody responds to different medications differently. So sometimes it’s a trial and error process for them to find the course of medications that will help a patient most.

it’s a process and an ongoing one as sometimes a person needs adjustments along the while as well.
As far on the field....he always seemed to get pressure when he played.

People tend to forget how much of an impact he made on the late 2018 defense...when it also just so happened that 54 and 55 were flying around making plays....

Gregory and DLaw were getting consistent pressure from each edge (then the Rams ran it up our gut; in game adjustments were non existent w that staff, but that's a different topic lol).

I fully expect the team have the dilemma of having to pay him significantly if they want him beyond 2021.

I certainly hope he understands that he owes Jerry a favor or two.

Reactions: BAT

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I trust that he won't get suspended. The only issue we've heard about him has been the weed. With him not able to be suspended for that he should be around for the entirety of camp and pre-season and be ready to go when the season starts. Barring injury I see a productive season for him ahead. He may not be a 10+ sack guy but he doesn't really need to be. I think the D will be improved this year so that as long as he is creating pressure, the other players on the team can take care of the rest.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Most teams look at their 28 year old players that have been there since they were drafted in the second round and think to themselves we got a lot from this player perhaps it is time to move on. Only the Dallas Cowboys would sit on someone this long and continue to say to themselves this is the year for Randy.

Randy and Jaylon are literal poster boys for everything that is messed up with this franchise. Not sure how it is that people still support this kind of nonsense. We have a drunken buffoon running the show. that is the only reason a Randy Gregory can even still exist.

If history is any guide we can expect the first actual reasonable season from Randy in his entire life. Then we will pay him like he is going to be the next Lawrence Taylor. Then he will completely shut it down.