News: BTB: Cowboys News & Notes: Is Jared Goff A Trade-Up Target For Cowboys?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We obviously would have to get infront of Cleveland if we really want to make sure we get Goff, so we are talking about moving from pick 4 to pick 1?

I don't have a trade value chart, but that is probably going to cost us a 2nd round pick at a minimum?

Don't do it.........I don't see a big enough difference between Goff and others to trade up and lose picks.

reddyuta

Reaction score
No need for a trade up.I am not sure if te browns pick a qb and they may well pick lynch.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's simple to me. If the personnel department is telling me there's only one franchise caliber QB, I'm moving up for that guy. I don't care if I have to give up next year's 1 to do it. If that evaluation is correct, I will have greatly improved my team for the next decade.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's simple to me. If the personnel department is telling me there's only one franchise caliber QB, I'm moving up for that guy. I don't care if I have to give up next year's 1 to do it. If that evaluation is correct, I will have greatly improved my team for the next decade.

This is why I hope they dont feel Goff is the only Franchise QB. If you grade Lynch and Wentz as potential franchise QB's, there is no need to trade. If they dont, I fully expect them to trade.

If I was a betting man however, with all things considered I think they will take Wentz at 4 before they trade up for Goff

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why I hope they dont feel Goff is the only Franchise QB. If you grade Lynch and Wentz as potential franchise QB's, there is no need to trade. If they dont, I fully expect them to trade.

If I was a betting man however, with all things considered I think they will take Wentz at 4 before they trade up for Goff

You would expect Jerry to actually move up to 1 for the QB? I doubt it. I'd be shocked if they did. They'd probably just accept the Browns will take their QB so they might as well move on to cornerbacks and tight ends.

ghst187

Reaction score
I like Goff although I'm happy to sit at 4 and take Lynch.

VACowboy

Reaction score

If they truly believe Goff is the next Andrew Luck (even Alex Smith or Jameis Winston), as much as I despise the idea of doing it, I think it would be tough to pass up the opportunity. It's just impossible to compete seriously in the NFL without a top-notch passer.

waving monkey

Reaction score
We obviously would have to get infront of Cleveland if we really want to make sure we get Goff, so we are talking about moving from pick 4 to pick 1?

I don't have a trade value chart, but that is probably going to cost us a 2nd round pick at a minimum?

Don't do it.........I don't see a big enough difference between Goff and others to trade up and lose picks.

th 1st is 3000 th 4th is 1500 so we'd owe 1500
so thats this years 1st, next years first plus another high pick

waving monkey

Reaction score
3 months away I think Goff is #1 but Wentz and Lynch aren't so far behind
with a couple years marinating on the bench they'd have a good chance
of running our offense

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they truly believe Goff is the next Andrew Luck (even Alex Smith or Jameis Winston), as much as I despise the idea of doing it, I think it would be tough to pass up the opportunity. It's just impossible to compete seriously in the NFL without a top-notch passer.

Right. That's why you have those scouts. How do you not make every attempt to obtain that player when you're sitting there at 4 and they're telling you there's a franchise QB to be had?

For what? A CB? Another DE? LB? It pales in comparison.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
If you're making that move for Goff, you better do it on the heels of an exceptional free agency period.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Right. That's why you have those scouts. How do you not make every attempt to obtain that player when you're sitting there at 4 and they're telling you there's a franchise QB to be had?

For what? A CB? Another DE? LB? It pales in comparison.

Only thing that I fear in this scenario is the Cowboys actual evaluation of the QB's, their track record has been horrid.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I don't even fear that as much as fear reaching as a knee-jerk reaction for a QB.

I would love to grab the heir apparent if we can in this draft but I am flexible enough to grab BPA at #4 and a QB later if that is how things shake out.

Free agency may shape some of the QB strategy as well in terms of where one is selected.

I do worry about their QB evaluation ability, the track record has been poor.