BTB: Cowboys weakness of Halftime adjustments

sbark

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ust-at-halftime-and-its-crushing-their-season

But in the third quarter the Cowboys are a much different team. They’re outscored by 0.6 points per drive. That’s 6.6 points per game or 106 points in a season. That’s a really bad team.

So the meme is accurate. The 2017 Dallas Cowboys are a good team with really bad third quarter problems. Why the team struggles on both sides of the ball after the halftime break is a mystery but it’s definitely a real thing. This is an area that must improve if the Cowboys’ have any hope of making this season a success.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We have a Pop Warner coach. We are bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Losing out to finally shed Garrett needs to be the top priority here.

I won't defend Garrett today......but i'm looking at this offense......if you are starting a team....a franchise....how many are these guys are you putting on your team? Because if its up to me? I don't want any of them. This receiving core isn't very good. And the routes they have them run is just embarrassing.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I won't defend Garrett today......but i'm looking at this offense......if you are starting a team....a franchise....how many are these guys are you putting on your team? Because if its up to me? I don't want any of them. This receiving core isn't very good. And the routes they have them run is just embarrassing.

Three guys off the OL

popp1234

Reaction score
Status quo....we are winning so why try to make any adjustments? Amateur coaching at its' finest!

You can apply that to a season after we experience success too in this era. Good enough is good enough with this team. That's why they haven't had back to back successful seasons in a while. They rest on their laurels while other teams around them get better. Pathetic!

Sydla

Reaction score

LOL.

So basically, let's make excuses for Garrett.

I have a sneaking suspicion if you gave this same offensive roster a creative coach like a McVeigh or Shanahan, they'd all magically look better.

The number one problem with this offense isn't Dak or the WRs or injuries or Zeke. It's the coaching. If you don't fix that, it's just spinning your wheels.

stiletto

Reaction score
You can apply that to a season after we experience success too in this era. Good enough is good enough with this team. That's why they haven't had back to back successful seasons in a while. They rest on their laurels while other teams around them get better. Pathetic!

I agree...it's bad. What can we do? Almost all of us see it. PURGATORY!!

kevm3

Reaction score
Second halves where we utterly collapse. That's coaching, and we've seen the same things in the Romo era. It's coaching. How many games of musical chairs do we have to play for people to figure out that we've completely gotten ride of everyone except Witten and yet the same results.

IheartRomo

Reaction score

I understand our team is extremely short handed without its three best players. But to me, if your coaching staff has absolutely no ability whatsoever to scheme over weaknesses, then what good are they?

Anyone can walk in and demand that you beat the guy across from you when the talent is there to do that. But for me, it's unacceptable to go from playoff contender at least to the Cleveland Browns simply because you're missing some cogs, even if they are your best cogs.

Sydla

Reaction score
Are you saying that with Tyron? Because even with his injury history......I don't think i'd even take him at this point.

Now you are just being silly to provide cover for Garrett.

It's simple. There is enough talent on this offense to not be as putrid as they have been recently and at times all season.

Just admit it. We need a new coaching staff. Once you accept that very basic and accurate premise, your life will become easier.

stiletto

Reaction score
I understand our team is extremely short handed without its three best players. But to me, if your coaching staff has absolutely no ability whatsoever to scheme over weaknesses, then what good are they?

Anyone can walk in and demand that you beat the guy across from you when the talent is there to do that. But for me, it's unacceptable to go from playoff contender at least to the Cleveland Browns simply because you're missing some cogs, even if they are your best cogs.

We are easily outcoached every game and the games we win, it's mostly because we got really lucky. Someone on the other team made a beyond stupid play or someone on our team made a sick play. Not because the Cowboys coaches did anything amazing to adjust or outscheme. We got a bunch of wing-it, clap fanny types on our coaching staff. They gotta go!!

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Are you saying that with Tyron? Because even with his injury history......I don't think i'd even take him at this point.

Yeah. He's still the best OL in the game imo. He's still got a few good years left.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL.

So basically, let's make excuses for Garrett.

I have a sneaking suspicion if you gave this same offensive roster a creative coach like a McVeigh or Shanahan, they'd all magically look better.

The number one problem with this offense isn't Dak or the WRs or injuries or Zeke. It's the coaching. If you don't fix that, it's just spinning your wheels.

Shanahan doesn't look very good since not having Julio and co. though.

Coaching is a problem no doubt. I guess my stance is.....the talent isnt' good enough for these coaches. That's on both sides of the ball.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Its unacceptable....but its reality. This offense isn't very good. There's a reason why it goes to hell when Lee goes down or when Zeke goes down or in the past when Romo goes down. The coaches aren't good enough to win with this talent. They need everyone to be stacked and healthy....which is just unrealistic.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Its unacceptable....but its reality. This offense isn't very good. There's a reason why it goes to hell when Lee goes down or when Zeke goes down or in the past when Romo goes down. The coaches aren't good enough to win with this talent. They need everyone to be stacked and healthy....which is just unrealistic.

Agreed. Which is my entire point: if you need your team to be stacked and healthy to be even remotely competitive, you are inept as a coaching staff.