News: BTB: Dan Quinn's impact on defense extends beyond just X's and O's

ESisback

Reaction score
Dallas is a ratings driver. The most valuable franchise, largest fanbase, ultimate stadium, etc., etc., and people resent it. Cowherd spends several segments a day on the incompetence of the Dallas FO, how McCarthy is subpar, how they are doomed to suck because their players all stink, blah blah blah. Comfort food for the masses means rating$.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Enjoy your doom and gloom! I’ll stick to optimism, hope, looking forward, and enjoying football for the game it is!

By the way, my examples were two of very many!
After 25 years of nothing..folllowing this team reminds me of eating cotton candy. Tastes good at the time with no nutritional value.

Yikes.

ESisback

Reaction score
After 25 years of nothing..folllowing this team reminds me of eating cotton candy. Tastes good at the time with no nutritional value.

Yikes.

So why follow it? Why continue to eat cotton candy if you don’t enjoy it?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was a good hire because what they had in Nolan was the antithesis of good coaching. Good coaching is putting your players in their best possible position to be successful and play as a unit.

I do believe if they changed no personnel, this was a positive move. He can get more out of them than Nolan did.

At some point, the players lost faith. They became what's wrong with the team and had one of the worst seasons in Cowboys history. Progress begins with returning their faith in themselves and in their teammates and in the guy leading them and everything I know about Dan Quinn is that he's a players' coach. They need someone to believe in them so they can believe in him.

Can he increase their talent? No, no coach can do that. But a coach can minimize their talent and put them in a position no player wants to be in.

It's not about swagger; it's about pride. And that begins with how he will talk about his players and if it sounds like fluff to us, he doesn't care. He only cares about what it sounds like to them.

This is a man that was fired from his former job taking over one of the worst defenses in the league last season. This is a man and group of players in need of healing each other. I am excited to see what he can do, I did not feel this way last off season.

Some can rain on the parade before they even line up but I am going to remain positive that this team took the first and most important step to right the ship.

jnday

Reaction score
Great coordinators often fail at HC.
At the very least, it looks like Atlanta’s defense would have shown better, even if Quinn was the HC. It looks like some of Quinn’s greatness would have rubbed off on the Atlanta defense.

ESisback

Reaction score
At the very least, it looks like Atlanta’s defense would have shown better, even if Quinn was the HC. It looks like some of Quinn’s greatness would have rubbed off on the Atlanta defense.

So you don’t like the Quinn hire? So you don’t think our D will improve?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dan Quinn may be a great defensive coach ....... But as long as Jerry Jones is the owner and GM it's not gonna matter.

As long as the players can bypass the coaching staff and go talk to Jerry, nothing is ever gonna change.
While what you say has been true, I must admit that Ive been rather miffed by what has transpired this offseason.
While many may simply turn their noses up with the off season FA acquisitions made so far,, there is no way these moves were all Jerry and Stephen, they gave Quinn a long leash for a reason.
Maybe so they can just fire him immediately if everything fails again,, wouldn't put it past them, but it does show that Quinn walks into the building with a level of respect that Marinelli and Nolan
never had.
Is Quinn the new scape goat thats already being set up...
or has he already earned this much respect,, I find this very strange considering the Jones'

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The #LegionOfBoom was created by KRichard...

who they let walk away so they could hire Nolan, Mikes big buddy...

who failed....

so they could then hire Quinn....who worked with KRichard.

smart.