News: BTB: Dan Quinn's impact on defense extends beyond just X's and O's

ESisback

Reaction score
"Defense Whisperer"

Heard it before.

So give up? There are a million reasons/possibilities for failure, and winning the Super Bowl is the result of achieving the “perfect storm” of variables. Many of the failures are their own doing—incompetence and bad decision. Many others are circumstance—injuries, dumb luck and circumstance, etc. Regardless, dwelling in past failures and letting it colorize your future serves no one.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Quinn doesnt have to spread himself thin and oversee the entire team like he did as HC in ATL. Now he can focus on what he does best, which is build, scheme/coach his players on Defense . He had to delegate all that stuff in ATL. We dunno how much input the ownership there was allowing him to have when it came to the draft and free agency.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Quinn doesnt have to spread himself thin and oversee the entire team like he did as HC in ATL. Now he can focus on what he does best, which is build, scheme/coach his players on Defense . He had to delegate all that stuff in ATL. We dunno how much input the ownership there was allowing him to have when it came to the draft and free agency.
With Dimitroff his GM, I doubt he had much say other than telling him the types of traits he wanted. And once Raheem Morris was brought in as his DC I think he had little input on defense.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
With Dimitroff his GM, I doubt he had much say other than the telling him the types of traits he wanted. And once Raheem Morris was brought in as his DC I think he had little input on defense.
I tend to agree with this as well. Dimitroff strikes me as very hands on.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
So give up? There are a million reasons/possibilities for failure, and winning the Super Bowl is the result of achieving the “perfect storm” of variables. Many of the failures are their own doing—incompetence and bad decision. Many others are circumstance—injuries, dumb luck and circumstance, etc. Regardless, dwelling in past failures and letting it colorize your future serves no one.

I'm responding to the sentiment in the article:
The Cowboys have begun to sign free agents to boost their defense, and they’re not done adding. But the overall sentiment around Dallas is that the biggest possible addition was hiring Dan Quinn as the new defensive coordinator, and it’s easy to see why.​

I expect Quinn will be an improvement. But I hate to see the implication that the talent on the defense was just fine and all we need to do is get yet another Player Whisperer. The talent was not fine. It is not fine. It wasn't fine for Marinelli.

ESisback

Reaction score
I'm responding to the sentiment in the article:
The Cowboys have begun to sign free agents to boost their defense, and they’re not done adding. But the overall sentiment around Dallas is that the biggest possible addition was hiring Dan Quinn as the new defensive coordinator, and it’s easy to see why.​

I expect Quinn will be an improvement. But I hate to see the implication that the talent on the defense was just fine and all we need to do is get yet another Player Whisperer. The talent was not fine. It is not fine. It wasn't fine for Marinelli.
Honestly, I haven’t seen anyone imply the talent was fine. We’ve all been screaming for safeties and DTs, and most of us would also like CB and LB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Honestly, I haven’t seen anyone imply the talent was fine. We’ve all been screaming for safeties and DTs, and most of us would also like CB and LB.

The article seemed to imply that. I was responding to the article.

ESisback

Reaction score
The article seemed to imply that. I was responding to the article.

The article I read seemed to imply that the Cowboys couldn’t replace everyone, and that Quinn’s value would impact us even more if he could continue to coax bounce back years from guys like Jaylon.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The article I read seemed to imply that the Cowboys couldn’t replace everyone, and that Quinn’s value would impact us even more if he could continue to coax bounce back years from guys like Jaylon.

I think you get bounce back years from everyone on defense just through addition by subtraction. Quinn has some improvement baked into the cake if he takes a nap all year.

Cmac

Reaction score
Next time leave bread crumbs...

Example: Mike Patricia...great coordinator, lost as a coach. Wade Phillips, great DC, meh HC
I guess "Great" is used frequently and selectively.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If anything has been a constant with Dan, it's a knack to get the best from his players. That will really be a welcomed change!:thumbup:

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dan Quinn may be a great defensive coach ....... But as long as Jerry Jones is the owner and GM it's not gonna matter.

As long as the players can bypass the coaching staff and go talk to Jerry, nothing is ever gonna change.
And instead of recognizing this simple chain of command problem, his ego eats it up.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
someone had a good question, "why didn't Quinn work out in Atlanta?"

Because there is a big difference between being a Coordinator and being a HC. As a coordinator his entire focus in on the defensive side of the ball, as HC you are dealing with the entire roster and all the issues in every phase of the game. There are ample coordinators who were great coaching their own units who failed as HC.