News: BTB: It’s very likely Ezekiel Elliott would be leading the NFL in rushing right now

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Best back in the League. This team was just hitting it's stride before his suspension and it coincided with Zeke hitting his stride.

I hope that either by hook or by crook this team sans Zeke can beat the Giants and Raiders. Once he returns and gets a groove could turn into a special run for the Cowboys.

We'll see...

Best backs in the league dont get suspended for 6 games and ruin an entire season. I would take any of the top 5 backs over Zeke without the off the field stupidity, headaches and suspensions. He has another infraction and he is gone for a year. And yes, I know he got screwed by the league.

slick325

Reaction score
Best backs in the league dont get suspended for 6 games and ruin an entire season. I would take any of the top 5 backs over Zeke without the off the field stupidity, headaches and suspensions. He has another infraction and he is gone for a year. And yes, I know he got screwed by the league.

Well since you know he "got screwed by the League" then there is nothing to truly debate or discuss.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Bell certainly does have it together....

2015 season
After being arrested with then-teammate LeGarrette Blount on DUI and marijuana possession charges in August 2014, Bell was suspended by the NFL for the first four games of the 2015 regular season. On April 9, 2015, it was reported that the suspension was reduced to three games. On July 28, 2015, Bell's suspension was reduced from three games to two following a successful appeal.

2016 season
On August 19, 2016, Bell was officially suspended for the first three games of the 2016 regular season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He stated in an apology on Twitter, that the suspension was due to a missed random drug test in December. The original suspension was four games, but was reduced to three on appeal and as a part of a settlement between the league and the NFL Player's Association.
:hammer:

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Anyone else want to bring up the false narrative that you can find great RBs in the mid to late rounds?

This is why I was 100% certain months before the draft Zeke was going to be a Cowboy even though I was ridiculed and mocked for saying it.
You and me both brother!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well since you know he "got screwed by the League" then there is nothing to truly debate or discuss.

Sure there is. He has had plenty of other minor incidents of bad judgement that all played a part in this for the league. This was a "the last straw" type thing. And its all up for argument that the league has no concrete evidence as police would to convict. But obviously there was some issues there. Whether it was some kind of physical contact, the fact that he was dating a loser of a chick, or possibly that he treated her like garbage in some way. The first year with Zeke has a been a roller coaster of bad choices. Now I dont think he should have been suspended, but he brought about the situation on himself with bad choices.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And it is not even close.

Zeke isnt on the team right now "and its not even close". LOL

This thread is about as dumb as saying that "that chick would be hot if she wasnt fat"

I see no reason to pump up a guy that got himself suspended and ruined our season all on his own.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score

This thread is about as dumb as saying that "that chick would be hot if she wasnt fat"

I see no reason to pump up a guy that got himself suspended and ruined our season all on his own.

The article made me think of the old expression "And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle." A bit pointless, really, and small consolation for a dismal season with ever-shrinking playoff hopes.

slick325

Reaction score
Sure there is. He has had plenty of other minor incidents of bad judgement that all played a part in this for the league. This was a "the last straw" type thing. And its all up for argument that the league has no concrete evidence as police would to convict. But obviously there was some issues there. Whether it was some kind of physical contact, the fact that he was dating a loser of a chick, or possibly that he treated her like garbage in some way. The first year with Zeke has a been a roller coaster of bad choices. Now I dont think he should have been suspended, but he brought about the situation on himself with bad choices.

The things Zeke has done in terms of his social life pale in comparison to things Michael Irvin did as a player in college and the NFL. Yet, it still didn't take away from his skill set. He made the HOF regardless. Same applies to Lawrence Taylor, Warren Sapp and Cris Carter.

Bottom line is...based on his skill set he is as elite a player you will see in this League that is not a QB.

You can be upset about the suspension all you want and I don't blame you. But NOTHING this kid has done is illegal PERIOD. So to be playing the moral police is troubling to me since I'm sure there are things each person on this board may do that others may not do that are legal...should they be judged too?!?!

Please avoid falling into the trap the idiot Commissioner has created when it comes to him believing the NFL can investigate and pass judgment better than the best legal system on the planet.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

While he was dumb and put himself in stupid situations there was to much evidence the chick lied to ruin his career. Not being here only exemplifies just how special of a talent he really is. IMO he is the only guy on this team right now who can put an entire team on there back and make it better. Zeke didn't ruin the season the management and coaches did for not being prepared yet again, bringing in sub par talent and cutting the entire lot, putting faith in a rookie secondary to make an immediate impact, and most of all putting faith in this coaching regime to make a difference when time gets rough.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
The things Zeke has done in terms of his social life pale in comparison to things Michael Irvin did as a player in college and the NFL. Yet, it still didn't take away from his skill set. He made the HOF regardless. Same applies to Lawrence Taylor, Warren Sapp and Cris Carter.

Bottom line is...based on his skill set he is as elite a player you will see in this League that is not a QB.

You can be upset about the suspension all you want and I don't blame you. But NOTHING this kid has done is illegal PERIOD. So to be playing the moral police is troubling to me since I'm sure there are things each person on this board may do that others may not do that are legal...should they be judged too?!?!

Please avoid falling into the trap the idiot Commissioner has created when it comes to him believing the NFL can investigate and pass judgment better than the best legal system on the planet.
Well said sir well said.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The article made me think of the old expression "And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle." A bit pointless, really, and small consolation for a dismal season with ever-shrinking playoff hopes.

Agreed. And yah if he played the whole year and didnt ruin our season, he probably would be leading it in rushing. But we see guys rookie backs across the league almost every year killing it. Kamara is a perfect example. Where was he picked? 3rd round?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I agree on just about everything you said. Now if these same rules were in place, Irvin probably never would have played a game. LOL

None the less, Zeke needs to take some responsibility for what happened to him. He has made many bad choices considering the rules today. Agree or disagree.

Just because Jerry absolves him of blame doesnt mean that he should. I guarantee you he will be riding the straight and narrow going forward because of all this. If he doenst then he is truly an idiot.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Zeke actually might be leading the league by now, but it certainly would be more because of the sheer amount of carries he was getting than his performance. His drop off of an entire yard per carry is enormous.

Actually if you look at the top ten rushers, almost everyone’s yard per carry is terrible. I wonder what’s going on there?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
While he was dumb and put himself in stupid situations there was to much evidence the chick lied to ruin his career. Not being here only exemplifies just how special of a talent he really is. IMO he is the only guy on this team right now who can put an entire team on there back and make it better. Zeke didn't ruin the season the management and coaches did for not being prepared yet again, bringing in sub par talent and cutting the entire lot, putting faith in a rookie secondary to make an immediate impact, and most of all putting faith in this coaching regime to make a difference when time gets rough.

Zeke is awesome in the context of on the field only. But we also saw how he gave up in the Denver game. Nit picking, but we have seen some issues. But dont discount the unprepared nature of Jones and the coaching staff in the loss of Zeke. This is a RUNNING football team. Our ENTIRE team both offense and defense was completely dependent upon it. Garrett and Jones had a full off season to prepare for this scenario and they seemed caught completely off guard. Completely unacceptable. The team mentally and schematically was completely unprepared for the gaping hole that occurred when Zeke got suspended. The hole NEVER should have been that big. It took Garrett and his coaches 3 full game to adjust and get Morris going. A capable back. The transition NEVER should have been this daunting. Offensive changes and proper personnel should have been mapped out and in place just for this kind of scenario. Its just another indication of how poorly run this team is by the FO.

Its almost like Jones was sure that Zeke was never going to get suspended and went about preparing the team ONLY for that outcome. This is why he went so ballistic on Goodell. Because he now looks completely stupid and feels betrayed.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
870673054.jpg.0.jpg

Four games into his suspension, it’s pretty clear that Ezekiel Elliott would be running away with the rushing title.

As a rookie in 2016, Ezekiel Elliott led the NFL in rushing with 1,631 yards.

Eight games into his sophomore season, it didn’t exactly look like Zeke was going to replicate his first-year performance from a numerical perspective; however, it did look like he was slated to take home the NFL’s rushing title for the second consecutive year.

We are 12 games into the 2017 NFL season, four games into Elliott’s suspension, and that appears truer than ever.

Rushing Leaders through Week 13:
- L. Bell, 1,057 (12 games)
- T. Gurley, 939 (12 games)
- K. Hunt, 930 (12 games)
- M. Ingram, 922 (12 games)
- J. Howard, 885 (12 games)
- L. McCoy, 851 (12 games)
- L. Fournette, 822 (10 games)
- E. Elliott, 783 (8 games)

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) December 5, 2017

With 66% of the body of work, Elliott is only 274 yards behind the league leader (Le’Veon Bell) and 68 yards behind sixth place (LeSean McCoy).

Ezekiel Elliott averaged 108.7 yards per game last season, and he had almost kept pace with that through eight games this season (97.9).

Extrapolating Elliott’s season based on this average, he would conceivably have 1,175 yards at this point of the season, over a hundred yards of a lead.

Whoever does win the NFL’s rushing title at this point on the season will take home a trophy that rightly has an asterisk next to it. In Elliott’s absence, the seven runners in front of him have hardly been impressive.

After Week 9 of this season (the last Elliott played), things weren’t too different from where they are now:

Some quick mental math will tell you that, save for Mark Ingram, no other runner is using the power-play to make some serious headway.

Rushing yards those currently ahead of Ezekiel Elliott have added while he's been suspended:
- L. Bell, 297 (4 games)
- T. Gurley, 253 (4 games)
- K. Hunt, 130 (3 games)
- M. Ingram, 381 (4 games)
- J. Howard, 223 (4 games)
- L. McCoy, 305 (4 games)
- L. Fournette, 226 (4 games)

— RJ Ochoa (@rjochoa) December 5, 2017

What’s more, is over this same stretch of time Alfred Morris has performed far more admirably than he’s been given credit for. He has 307 yards over this period, second only to Mark Ingram.

In fact, if you were to merge the time that Elliott and Morris have been RB1 for the Cowboys through 12 games, that arbitrary running back would have 1,090 yards, 33 more than current league leader Le’Veon Bell.

All of this data tells us a few things.

First of all, Mark Ingram is pretty insanely talented. What’s amazing is that he’s doing all of this for a team that’s having another successful season by a running back in the form of Alvin Kamara. Kudos to you, Saints.

Secondly, Alfred Morris has been fantastic. He’s second in the time that he’s been the team’s primary ball-carrier only to the one who’s been performing at an elite level. Alfred Morris is for real, folks.

Finally, Ezekiel Elliott eats rushing yards at a pace unbeknownst to your average NFL running back. He spotted the field a lead early on this season, but he’d made his way back and was about to become the lead dog.

It’s worth noting that many people point to Elliott’s 8-yard day in Denver as another sign of credit to his season. While that theoretically sounds fine, all of these runners have had a game that serves as an outlier in a similar sort of fashion.

Ezekiel Elliott would have been leading the league in rushing by now. The data speaks for itself.

Continue reading...
Well. Roger and the NFL made sure that wasn’t happening.

slick325

Reaction score
I agree on just about everything you said. Now if these same rules were in place, Irvin probably never would have played a game. LOL

None the less, Zeke needs to take some responsibility for what happened to him. He has made many bad choices considering the rules today. Agree or disagree.

Just because Jerry absolves him of blame doesnt mean that he should. I guarantee you he will be riding the straight and narrow going forward because of all this. If he doenst then he is truly an idiot.

All of us can use better judgment at times Roy, not just Zeke. Well, at least I know it definitely applies to me at times. Lol