News: BTB: NFL Lists Cowboys OC Scott Linehan As One Of Six Head Coach Candidates

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_9574161.0.jpeg

After helping turn a 4-12 season into a 10-1 start, Linehan is one of the hottest names on the head coaching candidates list.

NFL’s Career Development Advisory Panel has compiled a preliminary list of recommended candidates for head coaching jobs that are bound to be available after the season. This year’s preliminary six-man list includes Cowboys offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan, who's been instrumental in transforming last year's 4-12 unit into this year's 10-1 team.

Pro Football Talk is reporting that these are the names on the preliminary list:

• Scott Linehan Cowboys OC
  • Harold Goodwin, Cardinals OC
  • Teryl Austin, Lions DC
  • Matt Patricia, Patriots DC
  • Vance Joseph, Dolphins DC
  • Jim Harbaugh, Michigan HC

As PFT explains, “this year, the Career Development Advisory Panel consists of Tony Dungy, Charley Casserly, Carl Peterson, Bill Polian, Jimmy Raye Sr., James “Shack” Harris, Ernie Accorsi, Dick Daniels, and John Madden. Their list will be finalized on December 8, and it will be distributed to teams on December 10."

Little-known fact: Linehan was the first person to hire Garrett for an NFL coaching job, when he hired him as Miami’s QB coach when he was Miami's offensive coordinator in 2005. When Linehan moved on to the head coaching job in St. Louis, he unsuccessfully tried to hire Garrett as his offensive coordinator.

In 2014, the roles were reversed, and head coach Jason Garrett hired Linehan as his offensive coordinator. At the time, Bill Callahan held the title of offensive coordinator, so Linehan was installed as the "passing game coordinator". Callahan retained his title, but had to give up playcalling duties to Linehan, who was the OC in all but title. When Callahan left for Washington after the 2014 season, Linehan was formally installed as the offensive coordinator.

Foxsports recently named Linehan as one of five NFL coordinators who will become head coaches in 2017, so his inclusion on the NFL's list shouldn't come as too big a surprise.

The Cowboys are third in yards, fourth in points, first in rushing and are 8-1 – all of this with rookies at quarterback and running back. Linehan has done a remarkable job devising a game plan and scheme that suits Dak Prescott’s game. While he’s certainly great in the pocket, Linehan has drawn up more moving pockets, more read-option, and simpler reads for Prescott than he would have with Tony Romo under center. He took a seemingly disastrous situation with Romo and Bryant injured yet again and turned Dallas into the league’s best team.

Linehan had a brief head coaching stint with the Rams from 2006-08, going 11-25 in that span. He rebounded by working with Matthew Stafford and the Lions for a few years before joining the Cowboys last year. Dallas would love to have him back in 2017, but he might choose to test the waters as a head coach somewhere.

Linehan has a long history of having success with quarterbacks, and his most recent success with Dak Prescott will likely make a him a prime candidate for any team with a new quarterback.

In January 2015, Linehan and Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli signed three-year contract extensions that would keep them in Dallas until after the 2017 season. At the time, Jerry Jones said the pay range for both coordinators would make them among the highest-paid assistant coaches in the NFL.

There is no salary cap for coaches, so Jerry Jones could conceivably offer Linehan whatever pay raise would be needed to keep him in Dallas as offensive coordinator, but would Linehan be willing to forsake a chance at a second head coaching job just for more money?

The Cowboys can block any interview that is not for a head coaching position, as they did most recently when they blocked Bill Callahan from interviewing with the Browns in 2014. But they can't block Linehan from interviewing for a head coaching vacancy.

We'll know soon enough whether Linehan will take interviews: Per NFL rules, coaches on the top two seeds in either conference can interview with another team during the week of their bye, and with the Cowboys looking good for one of those seeds in the NFC, Linehan might be fielding interviews in early January. Also per NFL rules, those interviews would have to take place in Dallas.

Continue reading...

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Little known fact: Before becoming an NFL coach, Scott Linehan had a small roll as Wilson in Tim Allen's comedy series "Home Improvement".

http://i636.***BLOCKED***/albums/uu87/jdjohnston1960/Wilson-home-improvement-tv-show-33144924-1024-768.png

J_Allen

Reaction score
He's got it made here. Why take on the headache of being a HC?

conner01

Reaction score
Linehan is not going anywhere. He's 53 years old, has already tried the HC thing,he's working with the most talent laden group in the league, and is making seven figures a year. He would be a fool to go anywhere.
I agree
Being a great coordinator don't make you a great HC, we've seen that many times

Stryker44

Reaction score
Didn't Linehan get overmatched and broken in St.Louis?

Doubt he's considered as HC material.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
This year there will likely be only a few coaches fired.

John Fox- may be fired, but this job was always a rebuild, so no point imo.
Jeff Fisher- may be fired, but why spend all those resources trading up if you are that close to firing him?
Marvin Lewis- may be fired, but he's had Cincy in the playoffs most seasons, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay.
Gus Bradley- Jacksonville just hasn't improved enough, I do see him going.

Don't see anyone else getting fired

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Linehan is not going anywhere. He's 53 years old, has already tried the HC thing,he's working with the most talent laden group in the league, and is making seven figures a year. He would be a fool to go anywhere.
Money, money, money.......

ringmaster

Reaction score
This year there will likely be only a few coaches fired.

John Fox- may be fired, but this job was always a rebuild, so no point imo.
Jeff Fisher- may be fired, but why spend all those resources trading up if you are that close to firing him?
Marvin Lewis- may be fired, but he's had Cincy in the playoffs most seasons, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay.
Gus Bradley- Jacksonville just hasn't improved enough, I do see him going.

Don't see anyone else getting fired
Those are possible openings and Green Bay could possibly be another opening to keep an eye on and another name that is not on that list a poster mentioned here is Kyle Shanahan of the Falcons he has HC written all over him.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Is he considered loyal? Him and JG go back a while, I suspect this might play into any decision...I hope.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Those are possible openings and Green Bay could possibly be another opening to keep an eye on and another name that is not on that list a poster mentioned here is Kyle Shanahan of the Falcons he has HC written all over him.

Mike McCarthy won't be fired. Just won't happen.

But I did forget Indy, while I think the GM is the one that HAS to go, I think the GM and coach are gone. That is actually a great landing spot for Kyle Shanahan.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If I'm Dallas, I leak some false rumors about Linehan. Let it get around the league the guy's a real low life or something.

Maybe they could let it leak that he posts on a famous Cowboy's message board, and is an iconoclast who goes against the conventional thinking. Kind of an anti-hero sort who always bucks the system and is known for his "Up the Man," attitude.

Think that would be enough to get him off everyone's list?

ringmaster

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy won't be fired. Just won't happen.

But I did forget Indy, while I think the GM is the one that HAS to go, I think the GM and coach are gone. That is actually a great landing spot for Kyle Shanahan.
That is a definite possibility that Pagano, and Grigson are let go in Indy.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Harbough is getting 9 million a season at Michigan, 2 mil more than Saban or any other college coach. He would probably have to get more than that to go back to the NFL I would guess?

So you might say Linehan is one of five coach candidates.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Harbough is getting 9 million a season at Michigan, 2 mil more than Saban or any other college coach. He would probably have to get more than that to go back to the NFL I would guess?

So you might say Linehan is one of five coach candidates.

I think Harbaugh stays at Michigan for the foreseeable future.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Last I checked, there isn't a salary cap on coaches.

Jerry's wallet might open............and a free helicopter ride included.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Little known fact: Before becoming an NFL coach, Scott Linehan had a small roll as Wilson in Tim Allen's comedy series "Home Improvement".

http://i636.***BLOCKED***/albums/uu87/jdjohnston1960/Wilson-home-improvement-tv-show-33144924-1024-768.png

Wrong . . . actually, his name is Earl Hindman -- tell me you were just kidding . . . :D

Last edited: