News: BTB: Paul Alexander wrote a book and he grades offensive linemen by how they squeeze ketchup

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10575147.0.jpg

The new Cowboys offensive line coach is a wonder.

Excitement concerning the Dallas Cowboys offensive line was rejuvenated this offseason when the team drafted Connor Williams in the second round.

Connor would surely help the unit get back to being the best in the NFL, at least that was the thought most had. Not that this isn’t true, but Connor is the second big-time piece to land with the men up front this offseason.

Dallas exchanged offensive line coaches with the Cincinnati Bengals, Frank Pollack for Paul Alexander. It wasn’t a literal trade, just one that happened out of coincidence. Neat.

You know what else is neat, though? Paul Alexander. I’m literally talking about Paul Alexander the human being. CowboysCast’s Bobby Belt found a goldmine of nuggets on Wednesday evening.

Cowboys OL coach Paul Alexander is the most interesting man in the universe.https://t.co/XtwqI6xnJk pic.twitter.com/0q9U2Ps1ii

— Bobby Belt (@BobbyBeltTX) May 16, 2018

You read that right. Paul Alexander wrote a book. Seriously. You can buy it right here.

Perform is a look into the mind of one of the NFL’s more fascinating figures, and if you don’t believe me you need to understand how he evaluates players based off of how they use a ketchup bottle. Yes, a ketchup bottle.

Cowboys OL coach Paul Alexander wrote in his book "Perform" about how he can rule out certain offensive lineman playing for him by the way they dispense ketchup from a bottle. pic.twitter.com/zXDGT057jm

— Bobby Belt (@BobbyBeltTX) May 17, 2018

How confident are we collectively that Tyron Smith, the aforementioned Connor Williams, Travis Frederick, Zack Martin, La’el Collins and co. all know how to use a ketchup bottle? Fairly? Moderately? I didn’t know what Alexander teaches right there, that rules me out of swing tackle consideration.

Now, before you get crazy and think this is a literal thing, like if you don’t know the trick about the placement of “57” on a Heinz bottle means you can’t play offensive line, our friend Birddog explains:

It is not about a literal ketchup bottle. It is about having the intelligence for understanding and studying the fine points of a task such as blocking schemes. https://t.co/BdVoT6cCXw

— Birddog26 (@Birddog26) May 17, 2018

Welcome to the most unique offensive line coach the Dallas Cowboys have ever had.

Continue reading...