News: BTB: Philadelphia serves as example that free agency can work, will Cowboys try in 2018?

Dre11

Reaction score
Again why? Our franchise QB is not playing. Neither is our HOF LT. Our MLB and RB. We get them all back with draft choices and ton of experience.

Because pretty almost no team comes back with the same cast, they change every year, so do the teams around you, will Wentz be the same? Your LT has a history of injury and is 36, sproles is 35 coming off a terrible injury too. But as I said we will see if it can be sustained.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Again why? Our franchise QB is not playing. Neither is our HOF LT. Our MLB and RB. We get them all back with draft choices and ton of experience.
Sproles? I doubt he plays again. Didn't he say this was his last year? And as good as Peters is, he'll be 35 or 36 coming off a serious injury. I wonder how much he has to give. He is a HoFer but on the downside of his admittedly great career.

ghostdog

Reaction score
I hear both of you. But JP was playing his best football according to PFF. He was graded out as the best LT in the league when he got hurt. Even with a huge fall off in performance he is STILL better than Big V. And Big V helped take us to the SB. And Sproles already said he wanted to play in 2018.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good read.

While the statement about building through the draft is authentic and sensible, the 'Boys do have a history of filling obvious deficits through FA, so that they can feel more free to draft the BPA. Considering that, we might see them get DL, OL, WR, or LB as FA's.

Need to hit on Gathers and Jaylen this year. Hate to say it, but Witten needs to go - he's stopping progress.

It's not Witten that's stopping progress, it's the Cowboys. There is nothing that says the Cowboys can't work another TE into the mix. Witten still has value, and the team is paying him anyway, so the team needs to learn to adjust. It's not Witten's fault they haven't.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
It's not Witten that's stopping progress, it's the Cowboys. There is nothing that says the Cowboys can't work another TE into the mix. Witten still has value, and the team is paying him anyway, so the team needs to learn to adjust. It's not Witten's fault they haven't.

Agreed that it's not his fault.

He's a first ballot HOF, and he's been the ultimate Cowboy. They won't cut him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed that it's not his fault.

He's a first ballot HOF, and he's been the ultimate Cowboy. They won't cut him.

As long as they have to pay him they shouldn't cut him. We use 2 TE sets a lot anyway, so we just need to take advantage of both as receivers. One of the head scratchers with the Cowboys over the years is the high draft picks they have used on TE's they never worked into the mix as receivers. What was they point if they weren't going to do that? Hanna can catch passes too.

Aven8

Reaction score
From a post in the article

"Incredibly, six of the top 10 2017 spenders in free agency, a period formerly reserved for desperate teams to throw money at anyone, made the playoffs: the Patriots, Titans, Rams, Vikings, Panthers, and Jaguars (who spent $20 million more than any other team)."

That's what you do when you think you're close.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I find it funny that whenever a team reaches the Super Bowl, a media member connects the dots back to the Cowboys with a flurry of "what its, should haves, and would haves".

30 teams want to be where the Eagles and Patriots are and are not, so why single out only Dallas?

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
I find it funny that whenever a team reaches the Super Bowl, a media member connects the dots back to the Cowboys with a flurry of "what its, should haves, and would haves".

30 teams want to be where the Eagles and Patriots are and are not, so why single out only Dallas?
Because every year we and the Patriots are favorites to get to the big dance. Pats get there. We dont.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Looking at those free-agent names a lot of those guys nobody else wanted other than Jeffrey's. The Eagles were a young team, and with those names it added veteran leadership, and by the looks of it supplemented that with fantastic trades. You really have to give Roseman all the credit in the world. What a fantastic job that guy did rebuilding that team so fast after Chip Kelly demolished it. And I remember Chip Kelly insulting and denigrating Roseman because he didn't play football. Turns out Mr. Kelly was the moron.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Free agency only works when you have smart coaching that can utilize the talents of any player. When you have coaches like ours who make players adapt to a rigid scheme, free agency is hit or miss because you have to find the perfect player with the right skills.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I have said before let's just please sign at least one competent FA this offseadon

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Just cause it worked once doesn’t mean it’s the right way. Remember the eagles prior dream team with Vince young and company? How’d that one work out?

Sydla

Reaction score

You talking national media or local media?

Sydla

Reaction score
Just cause it worked once doesn’t mean it’s the right way. Remember the eagles prior dream team with Vince young and company? How’d that one work out?

That team never got off the ground and they were a vet team. This team is in the SB and they are a younger team than the "dream team" that tried to get by on all older vets.

People around here and even the Jones' are being naïve if they think this Eagles team is just some flash in the pan. They have an elite defense, a franchise QB and a coaching staff that showed in the playoffs they could adapt and game plan around their shortcomings.

Now I won't tell you the Cowboys have no shot here but there needs to be a real culture shift in the front office going forward. But the fact they brought back Garrett and both coordinators tells me not to expect much from them and they'll keep doing the same things that has landed them where they are right now. Hopefully I will be surprised.

BigD_95

Reaction score
That's what you do when you think you're close.

Not sure the Rams Jags Eagles felt like they were close coming off the years they had. But Cowboys were coming off a 13-3 season which I would look at as close.

Ren

Reaction score
They address their weaknesses rather than sit around and hope bad players will magically not be bad if you just pretend their good