BTB: Stephen Jones: Kellen Moore as QBs coach is nearly a done deal for the Cowboys

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dak regressed this year, but never fear!

Kellen Moore, undoubtedly the greatest QB coaching talent in the world, is riding to the rescue!

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oach-is-nearly-a-done-deal-for-dallas-cowboys

Not only is this a sick joke for QB coach, it squashes my tiny hope that Linehan might still be sacked.

We're doubling down on the Linehan coaching tree with a guy who has never coached and only had an nfl career thanks to Linehan.

In the immortal words of John McEnroe: You *cannot* be serious!

Aven8

Reaction score
I actually think Moore is going to be a good coach. But not here for Dak. How can Dak take coaching from a player who doesn't have the fundamentals, or couldn't even beat Dak out? It's just weird. It would be different if this was some veteran such as McCown or someone like that.

ShortRound

Reaction score
I actually think Moore is going to be a good coach. But not here for Dak. How can Dak take coaching from a player who doesn't have the fundamentals, or couldn't even beat Dak out? It's just weird. It would be different if this was some veteran such as McCown or someone like that.

Yeah I hope he succeeds, he supposed to be a smart guy. (Trying to be positive) but it's just an odd situation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dak regressed this year, but never fear!

Kellen Moore, undoubtedly the greatest QB coaching talent in the world, is riding to the rescue!

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...oach-is-nearly-a-done-deal-for-dallas-cowboys

Not only is this a sick joke for QB coach, it squashes my tiny hope that Linehan might still be sacked.

We're doubling down on the Linehan coaching tree with a guy who has never coached and only had an nfl career thanks to Linehan.

In the immortal words of John McEnroe: You *cannot* be serious!

Do you really think the criteria for good QB coach includes "successful QB?"

Pretty rare that you see great QBs take such a role. Much more commonly, it is the career backup.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sean Payton & Scott Linehan were nfl washouts. Maybe Linehan just identified someone much like himself. Moore has been with Linehan as a "player" for six years. Would someone who did quality control for another team a couple of years really be a better addition? I don't think so.

CapnB

Reaction score

So you think his coaching ability will be based on how he was as a player?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Moore is the guy for the job here. No doubt he has the smarts to be a coach, but I think Dak's got a pretty decent grasp of the mental side of the game. What he needs to improve his fundamentals in order to get the ball out on target. I would have been happier if we hired some mechanics guru.

conner01

Reaction score
How many QB coaches were actually star players?
The joe Montana and dan Marino’s don’t go into coaching

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Moore is the guy for the job here. No doubt he has the smarts to be a coach, but I think Dak's got a pretty decent grasp of the mental side of the game. What he needs to improve his fundamentals in order to get the ball out on target. I would have been happier if we hired some mechanics guru.

Moore *was here* holding a clip board while Dak regressed this year. If he had something valuable to add to Dak's development, he sure didn't show it.

In the face of the regression of our presumed franchise QB, who took a huge step backward in his rookie year, we *removed* our experienced QB coach who brought Dak to the team in the first place, and "replaced" him with a guy who was *already here* last year.

Did anyone think during the season "Gee, if only we dumped Wilson and let Moore be Dak's QB coach, all Dak's problems would be solved!" ?

Fixing our franchise QB should be Job #1 this offseason. We promoted the water boy to get that done.

Aven8

Reaction score
How many QB coaches were actually star players?
The joe Montana and dan Marino’s don’t go into coaching

That's not the point. Had he been somewhere else I would be ok with this probably. But Dak needs a QB coach bad. So did Romo. I want a guru. Pederson is a good example. Maybe Moore will turn into that, but it's just weird.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Please list the top 3 qualifications on Kellen Moore's resume for QB coach of the Cowboys

1. Many QB coaches are former backup QBs. In fact, backup QBs are more likely than starters to become coaches

2. On IR last year, he prepped and broke down film. That's what a Quality Control coach does. Many QB coaches work up from that.

3. Both our QB and OC value his contributions.

That's a good bit more than you'll get for most candidates.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That's not the point. Had he been somewhere else I would be ok with this probably. But Dak needs a QB coach bad. So did Romo. I want a guru. Pederson is a good example. Maybe Moore will turn into that, but it's just weird.

Those gurus...they are coordinators or head coaches now. You find a guru, you rarely hire one

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Are there any Cowboy fans thinking our problems on offense would be solved by having *more* Linehans?

Are there any cowboys fans out there dumb enough to believe coaches want someone that brings the same skill set they do rather than someone who brings complementary perspectives?