BTB: Stephen Jones: Kellen Moore as QBs coach is nearly a done deal for the Cowboys

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone here tell me exactly what a QB coach does? Wilson got blamed for Romo's mistakes and Romo received all the credit for learning to read defenses. What did Wilson do? The only two people that I ever heard Romo mention as guys who helped him out were his former QB coach, Mike Lee, whom Booger got on at AR as OC where he created the Wild Hog, and Testeverde.

And Romo was brought along slowly, most were surprised he survived the cuts each season. And the HC to reluctantly put him in said this after that season, "wait until they get enough tape on him". Wouldn't a QB coach address that?

Didn't Dak work with George Whitfield, the QB Guru, after last season? That was, supposedly, to address some mechanical and technical issues and I did not see any proof of improved performance in that area. He looked the same to me as he did his senior season at Miss. State.

Is the job of QB Coach nothing more than an entry level position for coaching just as Garrett was fast tracked from? Hell, he did wonders for that QB at Miami.

And a side note about mechanics with QB's. When I lived in Baton Rouge, one of my buds lived in Mandeville across the street from Archie Manning. Both Peyton and Eli had QB coaches at around 10, why? Archie's mechanics were lousy but he learned to overcome that, just like Bernie Kosar did, but he realized habits get established and ingrained early on as they did with Tim Tebow. Try as they might, they could not fix his mechanics. He could practice them but when it became game time the instincts took over and he did what he'd always done naturally.

From what I hear, Moore is a football smart guy so he can't hurt. But, I also heard that about another guy from his starting QB at the time. And I wonder if Aikman still thinks that?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I get it. You don’t like the coaches, but you don’t want a change from what we’ve done previously for Dak.

I do want a change. We should get a new QB coach, not promote the water boy.

But you enjoy your cognitive dissonance. The hallucinations seem wild.

I highly recommend the Jordan Peterson interview with Cathy Newman.
"So what you're saying is..."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Of course Garrett was actually hired before Wade, and Wade took the job knowing Jerry thought of Garrett as a rising star. Plus, Garrett was no longer the QB coach, but rather was the O-Coordinator and assistant head coach when he took over for Wade. In any case, that's incredibly rare. I'm not aware of any QB coaching hire with any team that anyone thought of as an immediate threat to the head coach in place at the time he was hired. Coaches that are at a point in their career where they are viewed as serious candidates for a head coaching gig in the coming year or two are not out of work and looking for a QB coaching gig with a team that is having struggles.

The day Garrett was hired he was HC in waiting and a threat to whoever became the HC.
QED

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Didn't Dak work with George Whitfield, the QB Guru, after last season? That was, supposedly, to address some mechanical and technical issues and I did not see any proof of improved performance in that area. He looked the same to me as he did his senior season at Miss. State.
From game 1 2017 Dak looked worse to me.

I largely attributed it to the offensive staff as a whole, and not just the QB coach. Looked like they tried to Romo him up in the offseason, and have him make a zillion pre snap reads and adjustments.

Should have just continued on with the same offense, putting in some wrinkles to take advantage of his running, and trying to improve at more downfield throws.

When teams played more press man without help, instead of putting in more wides, we should have gone less, and attacked the isolation. Easier adjustment for a young QB. Simplify, don't complicate.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Look, I understand this regime doesn't have a lot of credibility, but I as a "glass half-full" type of fan choose not get into the "Jerry sucks, "Garrett sucks", etc..., and instead look at new player acquisitions, or in this case, new coaching acquisitions, and look for how each years version of the Cowboys shapes up for the upcoming season. If I had a dollar for every time some Cowboy fan *****es and moans about this team on here...

I take the issues as they come.

I'll discuss the point whether I approve or disapprove of a move.

I disapprove of this one because it's so completely unserious for an issue which should be paramount - developing our presumed young franchise QB who stumbled last year.

Wait til next year when I get to complain about Garrett clock management. *Then* you'll see some *****ing and moaning.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From game 1 2017 Dak looked worse to me.

I largely attributed it to the offensive staff as a whole, and not just the QB coach. Looked like they tried to Romo him up in the offseason, and have him make a zillion pre snap reads and adjustments.

Should have just continued on with the same offense, putting in some wrinkles to take advantage of his running, and trying to improve at more downfield throws.

When teams played more press man without help, instead of putting in more wides, we should have gone less, and attacked the isolation. Easier adjustment for a young QB. Simplify, don't complicate.
Even after taking some offensive scheme tweaking into consideration, it is a reasonable conclusion defensive coordinators would have enough film on Prescott to counter the strengths he displayed as a rookie. Perhaps there is little point debating the error of having him adopt Romo's system but I believe Linehan and Garrett should have shifted the offensive scheme significantly to one that played to all of Prescott's strengths this past season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Perhaps there is little point debating the error of having him adopt Romo's system but I believe Linehan and Garrett should have shifted the offensive scheme significantly to one that played to all of Prescott's strengths this past season.

They should have shifted, but slowly. It did in fact work last year, and he was a young guy who was presumed to need a lot of development when drafted.

It was a miracle it worked so well last year. I wouldn't have rocked the boat too much. Expand on what we had, tailored to Dak, with some sense of direction to where we could continue in future seasons.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The day Garrett was hired he was HC in waiting and a threat to whoever became the HC.
QED

Again, he wasn't hired to be a threat - the head coach was hired with full knowledge that Jason was already in place and waiting in the wings. And, again, Jason didn't jump straight from QB coach to head coach.

But in the end, even if you want to treat this as an apples to apples situation with hiring a QB coach now, that is one example in history, so how is it fair to act as if it is the Cowboys are doing something wrong by not hiring a QB coach who is a "threat" to the head coach when no other team is doing it either? That's ultimately the point. a single example out of the history of the NFL doesn't exactly make a pattern.

Hell, I'm curious what currently unemployed NFL coach that is on the cusp of being ready for an NFL head coaching gig is available to hire to be this supposed "threat" to Garrett? Who would that be ... ?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should have shifted, but slowly. It did in fact work last year, and he was a young guy who was presumed to need a lot of development when drafted.

It was a miracle it worked so well last year. I wouldn't have rocked the boat too much. Expand on what we had, tailored to Dak, with some sense of direction to where we could continue in future seasons.
In my opinion, they did not rock the boat enough. The front office and coaches' euphoria that permanently installed Prescott at quarterback was based on the premise that the team had a franchise quarterback fall in its laps straight out of the fourth round. Franchise quarterbacks should be carefully nurtured by the coaching staff but they should also be competent enough to absorb and execute a detailed offensive scheme matching their skill set.

While it should be noted the present (and possibly future) offensive scheme is geared towards running the ball and excelling with Elliott, that circumstance should not have hindered any advantages Prescott could have derived from it. Yet, the offensive scheme did not deviate much from the 2016 season to 2017 season. Prescott may have been hindered by the existing scheme--so much so that when key components of the offense sputtered or flatlined (i.e. Tyson's injuries, Bryant's receiving woes, etc.)--he could not 'rise to the occasion' and overcome his offense's weaknesses expected of a franchise quarterback.

Fairly or unfairly, Prescott's superb rookie performance created a can't miss franchise quarterback persona in the eyes of the front office and the coaching staff. And neither did much during the 2017 offseason to build upon that perception. That shortcoming was a true slight against Prescott's potential in 2017 if he truly has the ability hoped for. The 2018 season may supply more data to decide if he is The Guy but his coaching staff should not cut block him at the knees by slowly bringing him along. JMO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The 2018 season may supply more data to decide if he is The Guy but his coaching staff should not cut block him at the knees by slowly bringing him along. JMO.

They should bring him along at a pace commensurate with his ability to move forward. Put too much on his plate, and he'll flounder. That's what I saw the first couple of games. A million and one pre snap reads and adjustments, like he had been in the system a decade. Too much.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should bring him along at a pace commensurate with his ability to move forward. Put too much on his plate, and he'll flounder. That's what I saw the first couple of games. A million and one pre snap reads and adjustments, like he had been in the system a decade. Too much.
I was not really concerned about Prescott's potential up to this point but I just felt my first ever worry pains about what type of quarterback he can develop into if your analysis is true.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was not really concerned about Prescott's potential up to this point but I just felt my first ever worry pains about what type of quarterback he can develop into if your analysis is true.

I'm not too worried about Dak having trouble trying to do pre snap reads like Romo did. Few QBs that young can. I don't think Romo was doing that much til the 10s.