BTB: TE Schultz is starting to show his potential

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Not going to try and make Schultz into more than he currently is, I will say he has 11 catches on 15 times he has had the ball come his way. I hope to continue to see him work and develop a trust with Dak.

December 19, 2018
Schultz has drawn seven targets over the Cowboys' last two games, catching six of them for 60 yards.

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=12514

The guy was never the focus of the offense at Stanford. He does have talent, however, and could develop into a solid starter with the right coaching.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The guy was never the focus of the offense at Stanford. He does have talent, however, and could develop into a solid starter with the right coaching.

Could be, not really going to put it on the Coach, hell coaches have gone to TE a lot over the years when Witten was here. They have 4 TE and guys have been splitting time, I do think as the season continues Dak is getting a better feel and bigger trust in these guys. I hope to see one of them take the reigns as the #1 TE on the team.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Wittens rookie season in 15 games

15 Games 35 rec 347 yards 9.9 per catch 23.1 36T 1 Td 1 0 18 long 0

what a Jag we should have cut him..:)

He was the second best TE prospect in his draft. Not a jag. :)

Schultz has similar measurables. Who knows, with the right coach he could develop.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it's not. That's what you have made up.

What I said was that, even if he does develop, he doesn't have the potential to be a gamebreaker, so the impact he's going to have on games is what it is. He might get a few more catches, be a slightly better blocker, but he is not going to turn into a gamebreaker, so he's not going to be any different than the other 30 TEs in the league just like him. Because he's already pretty solid, he doesn't have any new level to reach in terms of how he impacts games.

You keep throwing around "failure in logic," but you are not understanding the fact that these degrees of potential that you keep blathering on about don't matter. You, yourself can't even qualify them. All I'm doing is saying that, if Schultz develops from Average to Good, it doesn't matter, because Average and Good TEs in the NFL are the exact same thing in their weekly impact.

lol - you will even argue with yourself, won't you? It's in writing - you argued with LovinitAll's comment about Schultz showing his potential by saying he isn't "special" or a "gamebreaker". That was your argument, no matter how you want to run from your words. You realize you can't delete them at this point, right?

Hell, even if your argument had been that even if he develops, he isn't a gamebreaker (it wasn't - you said has reached his ceiling), that would have made no sense at all because nobody ever said he was or would be. You can't escape it - you disputed what LovinitAll said based on an argument that had nothing to do with what he said.

And yes, you have serious lapses in logic. The "degrees" were only mentioned to say that "potential" can mean a lot of things, and is not limited to what you illogically attributed LovingitAll's use of the word to mean.

Damn I feel ridiculous for explaining what is so simple it shouldn't need an explaination. I'm out. Get your last illogical comment in and it will die with that.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
lol - you will even argue with yourself, won't you? It's in writing - you argued with LovinitAll's comment about Schultz showing his potential by saying he isn't "special" or a "gamebreaker". That was your argument, no matter how you want to run from your words. You realize you can't delete them at this point, right?

Hell, even if your argument had been that even if he develops, he isn't a gamebreaker (it wasn't - you said has reached his ceiling), that would have made no sense at all because nobody ever said he was or would be. You can't escape it - you disputed what LovinitAll said based on an argument that had nothing to do with what he said.

And yes, you have serious lapses in logic. The "degrees" were only mentioned to say that "potential" can mean a lot of things, and is not limited to what you illogically attributed LovingitAll's use of the word to mean.

Damn I feel ridiculous for explaining what is so simple it shouldn't need an explaination. I'm out. Get your last illogical comment in and it will die with that.
I don't know what you're talking about with Lovin. His first comment to me was that I was "talking out of my rectal cavity." I don't even know what point you're talking about.

HE HAS REACHED HIS CEILING IN TERMS OF HOW IMPACTFUL HE WILL BE AS A PLAYER. He can get better and still have the same impact, because he's not going to be a gamebreaker.

You were the one who brought in degrees, by talking about good, average, solid, great, and very good. What I'm saying is that, Schultz could develop into any of those, and we won't know the difference because he won't impact the game any differently, because unless a TE is a gamebreaker, there's no difference.

You're just failing to acknowledge the fact that all I'm really saying is that a TE's development, if they don't turn into a gamebreaker, does not go hand in hand with their impact on the game. There is almost no difference between Ertz and Hooper. And that's my point. Schultz, to his credit, is already good enough to be in that group. He'll move more towards Ertz as he gets older, but it doesn't really matter. This is his ceiling, it's the type of player he is.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Really,, give me some names then.
Are you talking in the draft or FA, both are extremely limited.

FA. Cook is available this offseason from the Raiders. I would jump on him.

Burton and Ebron were two that were FA last year. Others guys too.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
FA. Cook is available this offseason from the Raiders. I would jump on him.

Burton and Ebron were two that were FA last year. Others guys too.
Burton is signed till 2022.
Ebron is signed till 2020.
So like you said, they were available, but that's spilt milk at this point.
If your looking to add a FA TE for 2019 the list is marginal at best..
Tyler Eifert and as you mentioned Jared Cook are your only standouts.
The rest of the pack include...
Antonio Gates
Luke Wilson
Josh Hill
Mercedes Lewis
Lance Kendricks
Ben Watson
and then a bunch of names no one will probably recognize anyway.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All well and good.
I hope he ends up being great.
But TE is still tops on my draft list.
I see similarities between him and Swaim. Both are decent to good inline TE's that can make the check down catch but aren't going to be a big threat past 10 yards.

What we have on hand isnt good enough, but I do think it allows to to look at Evan Engram type TE/WR hybrids in addition to more traditional TE's

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This guy has been trash. His blocking has been subpar and doesn't provide anything in the passing game. Maybe if this stupid staff would put rico on the field more we would have more red zone success.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
This guy has been trash. His blocking has been subpar and doesn't provide anything in the passing game. Maybe if this stupid staff would put rico on the field more we would have more red zone success.

Hey guys, you need to trust what Hennessy King is talking about. He’s the same guy that trashed the LVE pick.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Hey guys, you need to trust what Hennessy King is talking about. He’s the same guy that trashed the LVE pick.
Correct but I wanted Derwin James and Rashaan Evans who are both ballin right now as well. I hated the Taco pick too. I'm glad LVE proved me wrong but I never said he was trash I thought he was a bigger project which I'm glad he isn't. I'm not gonna lie I had his nickname Vander Trash copyrighted if he was bad.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Burton is signed till 2022.
Ebron is signed till 2020.
So like you said, they were available, but that's spilt milk at this point.
If your looking to add a FA TE for 2019 the list is marginal at best..
Tyler Eifert and as you mentioned Jared Cook are your only standouts.
The rest of the pack include...
Antonio Gates
Luke Wilson
Josh Hill
Mercedes Lewis
Lance Kendricks
Ben Watson
and then a bunch of names no one will probably recognize anyway.

You asked me to give examples of guys that had been available the last few years so I did.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have to believe this kid can help our Red zone issues if they trust him a little more......

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ing-better-each-week-geoff-swaim-blake-jarwin

Don’t look now, but tight end Dalton Schultz is starting to show his potential
The Cowboys rookie tight end is starting to establish himself.
By David Howman@_DH44_ Dec 20, 2018, 9:30am CS
When Dalton Schultz was drafted in the fourth round this offseason, it was an attempt to replace at least a little of the production of Jason Witten who had surprised everyone with his decision to retire during the draft. Schultz was coming out of Stanford and had primarily been used as a blocking tight end for Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love, and rarely saw time as a pass catcher.

The Cowboys had passed on other tight ends during the draft, some who were more accomplished pass catchers. Through most of the year, Dallas struggled to find any production out of any of their tight ends. Blake Jarwin had a troubling case of the drops, Rico Gathers and Schultz just never really made any impact, and Geoff Swaim finally started to emerge as a tight end weapon only to go down with an injury.

Schultz, Jarwin and Gathers are under contract next year, and Jarwin and Gathers are both RFAs in 2020, so it's possible that they could be our three tight ends moving forward or at least on the team playing second fiddle to a high draft pick.

The status of one of them (probably Gathers) could depend on whether we attempt to re-sign Swaim for cheap. Frankly, I don't see a reason to because I don't think he's any better than Schultz/Jarwin has been the last couple of weeks. If we're going to add to the position, we need to be trying to add a stud.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Shultz is doing fine, and these guys are getting better every game. Gotta get some experience. Swaim has some decent production before his injury, so maybe Dak is starting to trust these new guys.

Draft is so loaded, DAL has to draft one.

Is it? I don't watch college football so I only catch up on the draft prospects after the NFL season ends.

plasticman

Reaction score
I recall a 6th round draft pick that caught one pass in each of his first two seasons. His original team, the Cardinals, didn't think very much of him.

Around that time, the NFL implemented it's first attempt at free agency, called Plan B. Each team was able to protect the majority of it's team, the bottom 10 to 12 players had the option of negotiating with other teams.

This TE was left unprotected prior to the 1990 season and the Cowboys took him.

Jay Novacek made five consecutive Pro Bowls and started in three Super Bowls.

You never know....I like Schultz.