BTB: TE Schultz is starting to show his potential

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You asked me to give examples of guys that had been available the last few years so I did.
I like to live in the present.
I get the banging of the drum over passed missed attempts,, im not throwing you on the ropes here brother.
Just trying to explain that focusing on the past is way to easy to analyze, that is always much easier understood.
Whats more proactive is focusing on future considerations,, that's all brother.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
CowboyRoy: I actually think that good TE's are available most years.

Typhoid: Really,, give me some names then.

So whats the problem here?
Its simple really CowboyRoy,, there aren't any FA TEs worth an investment in 2019.
There is a shortage of TEs right now, league wide.
You need to draft and develop your TEs to stay ahead of the curve.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Its simple really CowboyRoy,, there aren't any FA TEs worth an investment in 2019.

Cook is available. I would take him all day every day. That would solve our #1 TE issue presto. Just depends on price. And seeing as though we have a shortage of high picks this year, it makes even more sense.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Cook is available. I would take him all day every day. That would solve our #1 TE issue presto. Just depends on price. And seeing as though we have a shortage of high picks this year, it makes even more sense.
Im not saying he isn't or should not be a consideration.
But I still satnd behind my redundant statement...lol
Wait till you see the 2019 price tag on available FA TEs in 2019.

sbark

Reaction score
Rico getting a fair amount of snaps as blocker.....trying to get his head on straight, cheese free diet

at least is active...vrs. the head case called Taco....

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Rico getting a fair amount of snaps as blocker.....trying to get his head on straight, cheese free diet

at least is active...vrs. the head case called Taco....

I’ve noticed the same. They aren’t just putting him out there on passing downs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Im not saying he isn't or should not be a consideration.
But I still satnd behind my redundant statement...lol
Wait till you see the 2019 price tag on available FA TEs in 2019.

Well we don't have a first round pick so if the price is reasonable say 5 Mill per season for 3 years, I jump on it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know what you're talking about with Lovin. His first comment to me was that I was "talking out of my rectal cavity." I don't even know what point you're talking about.

HE HAS REACHED HIS CEILING IN TERMS OF HOW IMPACTFUL HE WILL BE AS A PLAYER. He can get better and still have the same impact, because he's not going to be a gamebreaker.

You were the one who brought in degrees, by talking about good, average, solid, great, and very good. What I'm saying is that, Schultz could develop into any of those, and we won't know the difference because he won't impact the game any differently, because unless a TE is a gamebreaker, there's no difference.

You're just failing to acknowledge the fact that all I'm really saying is that a TE's development, if they don't turn into a gamebreaker, does not go hand in hand with their impact on the game. There is almost no difference between Ertz and Hooper. And that's my point. Schultz, to his credit, is already good enough to be in that group. He'll move more towards Ertz as he gets older, but it doesn't really matter. This is his ceiling, it's the type of player he is.

This is a nonsensical argument because it suggests that only "gamebreakers" have an impact on games. It's also simplistic and shows a lack of understanding of the roles players and positions fill within a team. We see this from fans a lot who only grasp the impact of the star players the camera focuses on and not the overall picture. The reality is that if Schultz can become a 700 yard per season receiver rather than a 200 yard per season receiver, he still wouldn't be a "gamebreaker", but he would very clearly have a bigger impact on games. It's ridiculous to suggest he would have the same impact either way.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is a nonsensical argument because it suggests that only "gamebreakers" have an impact on games. It's also simplistic and shows a lack of understanding of the roles players and positions fill within a team. We see this from fans a lot who only grasp the impact of the star players the camera focuses on and not the overall picture. The reality is that if Schultz can become a 700 yard per season receiver rather than a 200 yard per season receiver, he still wouldn't be a "gamebreaker", but he would very clearly have a bigger impact on games. It's ridiculous to suggest he would have the same impact either way.
That bigger impact is usage, not development. He has the skillset to be a 700-yard receiver right now, and did when he was drafted.

Thank you for being so concerned that you went back to this.

cern

Reaction score
it's a short list of really outstanding te's in the league. Kelce, ertz, gronk, ebron, graham, kittle to name a few. but not many.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That bigger impact is usage, not development. He has the skillset to be a 700-yard receiver right now, and did when he was drafted.

Thank you for being so concerned that you went back to this.
Increased usage comes with development and experience - it's not a random thing. There is a reason teams don't start off every player as if they were fully developed and had all the experience they need. If Schultz started the season at his peak ability to help the team, as you keep saying he did as a rookie, he would have played more over the season. Again, it's nonsense to suggest a player is no better prepared to be the best he can be as an experienced player than he is as a rookie.

dlobell

Reaction score
but is that because our QB wont throw it 15plus between the hash marks
Limts their effective routes dramitcally
Exactly!! See what happens with the addition of Cooper and Dak having the confidence to throw down the middle? I think Dak just realized that the game didn't really matter and he played much looser than he would in a game that has meaning. Hopefully he gained confidence with this game and we will continue to see it going forward.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Increased usage comes with development and experience - it's not a random thing. There is a reason teams don't start off every player as if they were fully developed and had all the experience they need. If Schultz started the season at his peak ability to help the team, as you keep saying he did as a rookie, he would have played more over the season. Again, it's nonsense to suggest a player is no better prepared to be the best he can be as an experienced player than he is as a rookie.
Increased usage comes with Geoff Swaim getting hurt. He's not getting more touches now because he's gotten better since week 1.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I think Schultz will be a fine #2 TE. But he will never be the guy.
NEVER is strong word backed by zero data..no one can tell the future..stars that come out of nowhere happen all over sports..lets check back in 3 years..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Increased usage comes with Geoff Swaim getting hurt. He's not getting more touches now because he's gotten better since week 1.

lol - you are stretching to fabricate an argument now. Well, again. It seems to be a habit. This has never been about this season only, and I have never said, or even suggested, that what we are seeing from Schultz now is the peak I am talking about him being capable of. I'm saying the reason Schultz hasn't been used much all season (now or earlier in the season) is because the team feels he is still learning. Next season I expect he will be used more, regardless of whether Swaim is back or not, because the team will value the extra experience and developmental time.

The funny thing - and kind of sad - is that you are bucking the entire history of the NFL and of all of sports, in suggesting that players don't improve as they learn and develop and gain experience. Whether it's learning to read a defense, learning routes, getting comfortable with a team and a role, strength, agility and strength training or other things, there are always things that lead to a player having an opportunity to help the team more as he works on them.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
lol - you are stretching to fabricate an argument now. Well, again. It seems to be a habit. This has never been about this season only, and I have never said, or even suggested, that what we are seeing from Schultz now is the peak I am talking about him being capable of. I'm saying the reason Schultz hasn't been used much all season (now or earlier in the season) is because the team feels he is still learning. Next season I expect he will be used more, regardless of whether Swaim is back or not, because the team will value the extra experience and developmental time.

The funny thing - and kind of sad - is that you are bucking the entire history of the NFL and of all of sports, in suggesting that players don't improve as they learn and develop and gain experience. Whether it's learning to read a defense, learning routes, getting comfortable with a team and a role, strength, agility and strength training or other things, there are always things that lead to a player having an opportunity to help the team more as he works on them.
No, you said that greater usage isn't random. Swaim getting hurt is random. If Schultz is used more because Swaim is gone, it's because they thought they could get the same value out of the less expensive player. That's because Swaim is the same player he was as a rookie, and 3 years from now, they'll be able to have another rookie come in and do the same thing.

TEs in the NFL today, regardless of history, do not develop into more impactful players, unless they have the talent to be Kelce, Gronk, etc. The only thing that changes is opportunity. Schultz has the talent right now to do exactly the same thing he would do in 2028, even though he will develop.

You just have no comprehension of the fact that player development and players becoming more impactful aren't the same thing. That's not true for every position, but it certainly is for TEs in this era. They are what they are. 1 or 2 develop into elite players. TE is a dying position, same as fullback and SAM. Those players could all develop, but sans the 1%, they're all the same in terms of how they impact games.