BTB: The Cowboys free agent additions that are likely to stick, and who will probably go

ShortRound

Reaction score
"He is also a Stephen Jones special, acquired at a bargain rate because of his injury history."

Describing Kaze, pretty much sums it up doesn't it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Why do you think he’s not as good as Those two?

Gregory is much better and cheaper.

Lawrence? Well, he makes $20M per year so he better be 2.5 times better than Clowney :) Actually, I flipped a coin 10 times between Clowney and Lawrence. Lawrence 6-4. Just kidding. Lawrence is better but not by much if Clowney is healthy. Can’t swap Lawrence for Clowney though since no sane person is paying $20M for Lawrence.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Make the case that he would be an upgrade on either.

Upgrade wasn’t the original intention, when the best pass rushing teams don’t stop at 2 deep on the edge. You had Aldon and Gregory and Lawrence, and then replaced Aldon with some rooks

But if you had Clowney, he’d start over Gregory. Gregory was drafted 6 years ago and has 10.5 career sacks. Jadeveon Clowney isn’t necessarily a 20 sack a year guy, but he is one of the best run defenders the nfl has had at the EDGE position in the last decade

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Gregory is much better and cheaper.

Lawrence? Well, he makes $20M per year so he better be 2.5 times better than Clowney :) Actually, I flipped a coin 10 times between Clowney and Lawrence. Lawrence 6-4. Just kidding. Lawrence is better but not by much if Clowney is healthy. Can’t swap Lawrence for Clowney though since no sane person is paying $20M for Lawrence.

it doesn’t have to be either or

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
But as good as Lawrence is at run defense, Clowney the guy he’s chasing.

I disagree.

Looking at ESPN analytics Run Stop Win Rate (RSWR) for edge defenders Lawrence was #3 in 2019 & #4 in 2020. Clowney was not ranked in the top ten in either year.

For PRWR, Lawrence was #3 in 2019 (Clowney a respectable #7) and #10 in 2020 (Clowney not ranked in top ten).

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I disagree.

Looking at ESPN analytics Run Stop Win Rate (RSWR) for edge defenders Lawrence was #3 in 2019 & #4 in 2020. Clowney was not ranked in the top ten in either year.

For PRWR, Lawrence was #3 in 2019 (Clowney a respectable #7) and #10 in 2020 (Clowney not ranked in top ten).

He was also injured those years, Especially last year when he played In and didn’t finish most of his 8 games. Your other point to availability is his biggest problem right now.

But in his last full season, 2018, he was ranked #2 on earth by PFF, and hasn’t been out of the top 10 since 2015. He is an all-pro caliber player in run defense, but his issue is neither is really in pass rushing.

Clowney was super overrated when asking for 20m a year. But at 8m, Browns got a good deal for a very good player (if he makes it through more than half the season)

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He was also injured those years, Especially last year when he played In and didn’t finish most of his 8 games. Your other point to availability is his biggest problem right now.

But in his last full season, 2018, he was ranked #2 on earth by PFF, and hasn’t been out of the top 10 since 2015. He is an all-pro caliber player in run defense, but his issue is neither is really in pass rushing.

Clowney was super overrated when asking for 20m a year. But at 8m, Browns got a good deal for a very good player (if he makes it through lore than half the season)

Oh yeah, I'm not saying he's a bad player. I would have loved to sign him.

But you asked why (someone) had Lawrence ranked above him, so I interjected with my opinion.

I will add that Lawrence was injured as well in his 2018 season (10.5 sacks) and ultimately had late season shoulder surgery which bled into 2019.

So if you want to call them comparable in their run defense (which may be fair), then I believe Lawrence wins outright based on pass rush & of course the aforementioned availability. .

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm not saying he's a bad player. I would have loved to sign him.

But you asked why (someone) had Lawrence ranked above him, so I interjected with my opinion.

I will add that Lawrence was injured as well in his 2018 season (10.5 sacks) and ultimately had late season shoulder surgery which bled into 2019.

So if you want to call them comparable in their run defense (which may be fair), then I believe Lawrence wins outright based on pass rush & of course the aforementioned availability. .
I dont disagree

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
This is a literally thread about Dallas having the salary cap to do it...

Don’t have the cap space. Haven’t even signed Parsons, Joseph or the 3 3rd rounders yet as far as I know.

Depending on who you listen to hear, we could be a gazillion under the cap.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Don’t have the cap space. Haven’t even signed Parsons, Joseph or the 3 3rd rounders yet as far as I know.

Depending on who you listen to hear, we could be a gazillion under the cap.

For what you guys were with run D last year, Clowney would have been a dream pickup. Where there’s a will, there’s a way

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who ever stays? I'm trying to think of a FA who stays...

We just draft guys and dumpster dive in FA.

That's partly why we never break out. We're just happy to be mediocre.
Even if you are right that we sould spend more on free agents, that doesn't mean the Cowboys are happy to be mediocre. It could just mean they have a different philosophy. After all, Jerry knows that a winning team is easier to market than a mediocre one.

Before you argue that the Cowboys philosophy isn't working, that's unnecessary because I'm not claiming it is. Just saying that the Cowboys place a higher priority on using free agent dollars on their own free agents rather than outside free agents, and whether that is right or wrong that may be what they sincerely think is the better path.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Even if you are right that we sould spend more on free agents, that doesn't mean the Cowboys are happy to be mediocre. It could just mean they have a different philosophy. After all, Jerry knows that a winning team is easier to market than a mediocre one.

Before you argue that the Cowboys philosophy isn't working, that's unnecessary because I'm not claiming it is. Just saying that the Cowboys place a higher priority on using free agent dollars on their own free agents rather than outside free agents, and whether that is right or wrong that may be what they sincerely think is the better path.

The Cowboys value relevancy. Not winning.

As long as they can hang out in the middle and possibly get a home wild card game they are happy with those results and won't do anything to try and breakthrough that.

That's the secret sauce.

When you have the most valuable sports franchise in the entire world you win the Superbowl of business every year that you maintain that.