BTB: The Cowboys free agent additions that are likely to stick, and who will probably go

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys value relevancy. Not winning.

As long as they can hang out in the middle and possibly get a home wild card game they are happy with those results and won't do anything to try and breakthrough that.

That's the secret sauce.

When you have the most valuable sports franchise in the entire world you win the Superbowl of business every year that you maintain that.
If they are using salary cap dollars anyway, why wouldn't they want to use them to build the best team? What would be the point of intentionally deciding to be mediocre if it doesn't save a dramatic amount of money?

I'm sure it's not lost on Jerry that he was able to buy the team for $140 million and that the team started to dramatically increase in value after it started winning in the 1990's.

Sydla

Reaction score
Upgrade wasn’t the original intention, when the best pass rushing teams don’t stop at 2 deep on the edge. You had Aldon and Gregory and Lawrence, and then replaced Aldon with some rooks

But if you had Clowney, he’d start over Gregory. Gregory was drafted 6 years ago and has 10.5 career sacks. Jadeveon Clowney isn’t necessarily a 20 sack a year guy, but he is one of the best run defenders the nfl has had at the EDGE position in the last decade

Gregory had more sacks in his 10 games in 2020 than Clowney had in 2019 and 2020 (10 games versus 21). Clowney isn't what you think he is anymore.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
The Cowboys value relevancy. Not winning.

As long as they can hang out in the middle and possibly get a home wild card game they are happy with those results and won't do anything to try and breakthrough that.

That's the secret sauce.

When you have the most valuable sports franchise in the entire world you win the Superbowl of business every year that you maintain that.
If you really believed this then you should be rooting for another team. The Cowboys make decisions based around winning the Superbowl and how to build the organization around that to support that mission, for the short term and the long term.

You build your team based on hindsight and what failed the year before. Do you think that Jerry doesn't know that if he were to win a Superbowl that his team would be worth a billions more dollars? Do you know how much a billion dollars is?

Well it is a league full of billionaires and all 32 teams have the same goal and they all have different strategies and obstacles. To act like this team would rather sell 500 thousand Jerseys or put butts in the seat at the stadiums than win a Superbowl is shortsighted on your part.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you really believed this then you should be rooting for another team. The Cowboys make decisions based around winning the Superbowl and how to build the organization around that to support that mission, for the short term and the long term.

You build your team based on hindsight and what failed the year before. Do you think that Jerry doesn't know that if he were to win a Superbowl that his team would be worth a billions more dollars? Do you know how much a billion dollars is?

Well it is a league full of billionaires and all 32 teams have the same goal and they all have different strategies and obstacles. To act like this team would rather sell 500 thousand Jerseys or put butts in the seat at the stadiums than win a Superbowl is shortsighted on your part.

No.. I support them even though they are still doing exactly what I say they are doing.

You think the Dak move was to do anything other than stay relevant? They knowlingly overpaid their player and told us for years about a certain amount of pie and looking around the league when the QB's take up a lot of pie and all that jazz.

They know they are purchasing mediocrity and mediocrity for Dallas sells.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
If they are using salary cap dollars anyway, why wouldn't they want to use them to build the best team? What would be the point of intentionally deciding to be mediocre if it doesn't save a dramatic amount of money?

I'm sure it's not lost on Jerry that he was able to buy the team for $140 million and that the team started to dramatically increase in value after it started winning in the 1990's.
Not only did Jerry bring the value of the Cowboys up, but he bucked the 30 year old trends of the NFL and helped make the whole league America's pastime instead of baseball.

Jerry but he has done a lot for the game and has been a terrific owner. I can respect him for that...But

He sucks as a GM.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
No.. I support them even though they are still doing exactly what I say they are doing.

You think the Dak move was to do anything other than stay relevant? They knowlingly overpaid their player and told us for years about a certain amount of pie and looking around the league when the QB's take up a lot of pie and all that jazz.

So using your forward thinking skills we were supposed to keep Dalton? What were their choices again? What kind of pie do you want?

Never heard of a "guaranteed pie".

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If they thought there wasn't another option to Dak that would make or keep them relevant wouldn't that mean signing Dak was a move they felt would give them the best chance?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So using your forward thinking skills we were supposed to keep Dalton? What were their choices again? What kind of pie do you want?

Never heard of a "guaranteed pie".
I'm partial to pecan pie, and would love it if getting one was guaranteed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they thought there wasn't another option to Dak that would make or keep them relevant wouldn't that mean signing Dak was a move they felt would give them the best chance?

No..

It just means they are a conservative bunch who doesn't take risks anymore because taking a risk might mean losing mediocrity and losing mediocrity puts being the worlds #1 most valuable franchise in jeopardy.

They have to remain relevant and sign Dak & Zeke to bad deals will keep us relevant.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No..

It just means they are a conservative bunch who doesn't take risks anymore because taking a risk might mean losing mediocrity and losing mediocrity puts being the worlds #1 most valuable franchise in jeopardy.

They have to remain relevant and sign Dak & Zeke to bad deals will keep us relevant.

If they truly feel Dak is only average how would they see a big risk getting somebody else to fill the role? Especially if doing so gave them another $20+ million a year to bolster other areas?

I'm sorry, but your logic doesn't seem to be there. Intentionally keeping a player they feel is not particularly strong and paying him a truckload of money that then wouldn't be available to use on other areas would result in a much higher risk of the team losing relevance than making a change would.

And look at history. The team was willing to move on from the NFL's leading rusher after 2014. They were willing to move on from Dez. The moved on from Romo. They moved on from Troy and Emmitt. They clearly don't have a set in stone history of paying whatever it takes to merely be relevant.

Last edited:

Maxmadden

Reaction score
No..

What risk are you talking about taking? What were the alternatives?

A risk like suck for Luck? Or Wentz?

They paid the market price for a Qb that they know better than anyone. I get that you don't like Dak and I can respect that. I don't have a clue if he will ever be great but I do know that his team members all view him as a leader. Do you think Brady is a great QB at this stage of his career? No, but his team will follow him because he is a leader.

All the high risk and fantasy football moves were just not feasible.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Who ever stays? I'm trying to think of a FA who stays...

We just draft guys and dumpster dive in FA.

That's partly why we never break out. We're just happy to be mediocre.
We are well on our way to surpass mediocrity level,, just believe me Catch.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Upgrade wasn’t the original intention, when the best pass rushing teams don’t stop at 2 deep on the edge. You had Aldon and Gregory and Lawrence, and then replaced Aldon with some rooks

But if you had Clowney, he’d start over Gregory. Gregory was drafted 6 years ago and has 10.5 career sacks. Jadeveon Clowney isn’t necessarily a 20 sack a year guy, but he is one of the best run defenders the nfl has had at the EDGE position in the last decade
^^^ bad take

Gregory has 9.5 sacks in 720 snaps his last two season. Thats coming of a 2 and a 1 year stretch of not playing. Clowney is an ineffective pass rusher at this point in his career. Clowney has 3 sacks in his last 1000 snaps

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
^^^ bad take

Gregory has 9.5 sacks in 720 snaps his last two season. Thats coming of a 2 and a 1 year stretch of not playing. Clowney is an ineffective pass rusher at this point in his career. Clowney has 3 sacks in his last 1000 snaps

In 2 injury riddle years. Last year in particular he was the walking dead. The 2 years prior he had 9+ sacks in each.

But what do people say when people compare Dlaw’s sack numbers with others? It’s not the only thing DE’s do, and Clowney is one of the best run defenders at his position in the world

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In 2 injury riddle years. Last year in particular he was the walking dead. The 2 years prior he had 9+ sacks in each.

But what do people say when people compare Dlaw’s sack numbers with others? It’s not the only thing DE’s do, and Clowney is one of the best run defenders at his position in the world
Who cares how good defender he is if he is an effective pass rusher. Injuries no, 3 sacks in 1000 snaps horrible production. And he isnt gonna get any better. Guy like him who have coasted their whole career dont get better when they have a long string of injuries.

D Law has underperformed as a pass rusher. Thats not debatable. He isnt in this discussion. If you want to do "Well others say....." thing, then make that argument withbthe specifically

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Clowney started 19 games in the last 2 years and only had 3 sacks. He would be worth signing at the right price, but my guess is his asking price would not be the right price.

Maybe he can get back to his 2017 & 2018 level, but we can't simply assume it. I have to wonder if there is a reason he is with his 4th team in 4 seasons.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Clowney started 19 games in the last 2 years and only had 3 sacks. He would be worth signing at the right price, but my guess is his asking price would not be the right price.

Maybe he can get back to his 2017 & 2018 level, but we can't simply assume it. I have to wonder if there is a reason he is with his 4th team in 4 seasons.

yeah availability is a big if for him. But 8m he signed for isn’t bad at all

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I care a lot, I think the Cowboys not caring about run defense is what went wrong last year
The ability to play the run doesnt mean much if you can't rush the passer. Which Clowney cant anymore. That keeps you off the field 70% of the downs anywhere in the NFL. And besides, Clowney didnt play the run well as a DE, he played the run well as a stand up edge

J_Allen

Reaction score
Who ever stays? I'm trying to think of a FA who stays...

We just draft guys and dumpster dive in FA.

That's partly why we never break out. We're just happy to be mediocre.

We always take the Moneyball approach.