BTB Vela: Wade Phillips Bears Down... showed 46 look

Reaction score
chinch;2427136 said:
How'd it work against NYG? Lets see how he does against real offenses the rest of the season. Even if he's god's gift to the 3-4 he needs to go. He's a terrible head coach.

HATER, Go Back to your Commander Forum and give ur boys some encouragement

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
88 enough said;2427238 said:
HATER, Go Back to your Commander Forum and give ur boys some encouragement

were any of your previous 154 posts on the mark?

khiladi

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2427228 said:
I gave my props to him last night and will keep on if Wade keeps the game calls aggressive on D

This game, from a coaching perspective, is anti-Wade from what we have been seeing all year long...

I think Wade was infected with confidence from Newman saying he was coming out 'Straight Baller'...

Just as long as wade isn't influenced by Bradie James saying he is also coming out "Straight Baller'" in pass coverage...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2427248 said:
This game, from a coaching perspective, is anti-Wade from what we have been seeing all year long...

I think Wade was infected with confidence from Newman saying he was coming out 'Straight Baller'...

Just as long as wade isn't influenced by Bradie James saying he is also coming out "Straight Baller'" in pass coverage...

Wade coached last night, like a cornered tiger

he should try being more proactive from now on

sbark

Reaction score
Clips of the 46 in a vid-clip would be interesting......

Was the 46 built to combat the West Coast.....or the West Coast to combat the 46.......

khiladi

Reaction score
sbark;2427266 said:

Was the 46 built to combat the West Coast.....or the West Coast to combat the 46.......

Remember, Wade used it a limited amount of times. The real impact was in the man-to-man coverage, which allowed Dallas to stack the line to stop the run. It further prevented the quick dump-offs that are the bread-and-butter of Campbell...

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
sbark;2427266 said:

West coast to combat 46

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
The problem with Wade is his apathy and unwillingness to change, until it is too late. He has a tendency to play scared. Let's not forget that he also played a lot of man-to-man, which he hasn't ever done since being here.

If he continues this way, I think coaching will do it. I'd love to see wade succeed, because he has smarts.

those are my sentiments exactly, i dont mind giving wade praise, but at same time, he has to call the players out and make them accountable, and wade has to call the defense not stewart.

you can change if you want too, it takes more of a man to admit his way hasnt been working, and to change it, see change is needed, now when u do that, then you are a great head coach;

just like special teams, wade said he knew that they might have problems with carpenter out on special teams sure enough they did,

you have to tell yourself, i have tried my way, but the players arent getting it, guys like jenkins and watkins, and the kicker for kicking the football right down the middle when he was suppose to hit it to the right side of the corner, but folk didnt do that

now how many times has folk done that, at least i can name 3 times on my hand, either read is saying one thing and folk is doing something on his own, or wade calls for kick a certain way and its kicked the other,

the old saying once on me, my fault, second time, but third time and your done, well its obvious its a problem and its still not corrected;

just saying dont do it again, isnt working, now you have to take action to see that it doesnt happen again, its stupid to keep letting it happen over and over again;

thats on you head coach wade

now lets get to a point that nate newton said today on special teams, there are alot of rookies and first year players on special teams but hardly any starters

lets see, Mcquistan, doug free, holland, leonard davis, ratliff, tank johnson, zach thomas, hatcher, bowen, are any of these playes on special teams wade?

you need some hitters on this special teams play, guys that want to hit,
jenkins, watkins arent doing their job,

relook your roster wade and get some hitters on this team, and if special teams coach read cant light a fire underneath the special team players, get someone that can light that fire, and spend some more time on special teams too wade, dont take anything for granted,

now on defense sunday, you did a good job wade using part of the 46 defense, keep that up, you were hired to fix this defense and make it feared, keep that working, and spencer needs to play more, looks like greg ellis needs to have a fire lit underneath him, he isnt getting any sacks, time for him to step up

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Kevin Burnett put it on Cooley. Where are the haters?

Jay Ratliff is on the horse trailer. Where are the national haters? I can't hear you.

The Dallas Cowboys smashed the Commanders. They played smashmouth football and dominated that game. This ain't the Big Twelve South. This is the NFC East. How sweet it is. The 'Boys packed their defense and running game and went into their house and kicked their butts. It shouldn't have been that close. That is how you win football games. That is the formula. Keep doing that. Just cover kicks. Phillips did the right thing by going for it. The defense had done their job. The last thing you want to do is kickoff again. He put it in Barber's hands, and the o-line and Barber put them away.

I think you will definately see that 46 look more, and I think it will work. Phillips hasn't had the corners, except for Newman, to play a ton of man coverage. Now, he has them. You couldn't leave Jacques Reeves on an island. Henry can't cover the deep post, and he gives too much ground due to his lack of speed.

Phillips out coached Zorn. Hip-Hip-Horay, THAT! Chump.

Payback is sweet.

That was a great analysis. Can't wait to read about Terence Newman shutting that little troll (Santana Moss) down and helping the run defense. I bet you will read about Newman jacking Portis up. That was a sweet hit, and it was payback for Portis running Newman over when Newman wasn't looking in 2005. Portis got jacked up by # 41.

Crazy Cowboy, this is for you.

Go Cowboys!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Is the 4-6 what they were running when we kept getting gashed over the middle for dump offs or the big run by Campbell?

Eskimo

Reaction score
chinch;2427222 said:
very glad we didn't have to find out. :) we need superb D to do anything useful this year. maybe they can get some confidence playing bad teams the rest of Nov.

the gashing dumpoffs on 3rd down were scary though... campbell misfires & bad plays helped us too (that 4th down was bledsoe like - 4th & 4, WR blanketed and throw 3 yards short of 1st down marker.)

I think Romo should be much better in about 2-3 weeks and hopefully the splint will be off by playoff time (if not sooner). Once Romo gets his grip back, this offense should be electric now that the OL is rounding back into form.

We only need the D to be good. If they continue to play this way and the offense becomes what we all know it can be, we can beat anyone on any field.

I'm just curious to see if we can control the Giants running game in the rematch. That'll be the measuring stick for how far this defense has come.

BadKarma

Reaction score
We probably would have gone to a more aggressive-style defense earlier -- some of players on defense wanted to play this way. But with TNewman and AJones out, we were down to two rookies and Henry starting, and Alan Ball as the backup. Clearly not the ideal situation for being aggressive at that point.

Getting Newman back is huge and obviously allows Wade more options. Although I'm no longer on the Pacman bandwagon, if he gets re-instated and continue where he left off, and as Wade begins to have more faith in our two rookies, I would assume this defense will become even more aggressive, lining up with different schemes.

starman22

Reaction score
41gy#;2427295 said:
That was a great analysis. Can't wait to read about Terence Newman shutting that little troll (Santana Moss) down and helping the run defense. I bet you will read about Newman jacking Portis up. That was a sweet hit, and it was payback for Portis running Newman over when Newman wasn't looking in 2005. Portis got jacked up by # 41.

I believe it was Keith Davis that laid Portis out, if it is the play I'm thinking of.
Newman did have a monster game though.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
sbark;2427266 said:

The west coast eliminated the 46 and to some extend the 3-4 in the 90's

Giants/Skins are using old school power running attacks Gibbs/Coughlin... That is what the 3-4 is weak against. Chess match

46 can work against skins/giants but not a spread offense - jmo

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
starman22;2427325 said:
I believe it was Keith Davis that laid Portis out, if it is the play I'm thinking of.

I don't know if that was the play or not, but Davis had a couple of really good hits/tackles yesterday.

BadKarma

Reaction score
starman22;2427325 said:

Yeah - Davis laid the wood on Portis. Portis even took a peek after the play to see who stuck him.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
I like finding out this kind of stuff. We have a capable guy with experience who can solve offensive problems differently. Parcells solution was try to score more than the defense gives up. The same defense he stacked full of first round picks. Our coordinators never adjusted and were always exposed late.

IMO Wade hasn't done anything where I think he should lose his job. He can be mind numbingly boring compared to parcells during press conferences, he never says anything of substance, but he is out there and he is trying to find matchups.

The Commanders converted to a relic offense, wade brought back the relic defense to combat it.

Thanks for the read.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
theebs;2427159 said:
I am glad we didnt have to find out, but you would have to think they would have come through. They kicked their tails in the second half.

I didnt say wade didnt want to be, I said IMO he is a coordinator.

You guys all need to relax.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
We are 6-4
decimated by injuries

Its how we play after Thanksgiving that defines this team.

Book it