News: BTB: Would re-signing Anthony Hitchens stop you from drafting Roquan Smith?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa_today_10532502.0.jpg

Cowboys fans have their eyes on the Georgia linebacker.

There are a lot of people who feel that the top need for the Dallas Cowboys entering 2018 is at linebacker.

It’s not hard to disagree with that, the middle of their defense certainly needs help. What’s ironic is an argument could be made that their best defensive player is a linebacker in Sean Lee.

The General and Jaylon Smith will patrol the heart of the Cowboys defense next season, at least that’s the hope and plan, especially if you believe Jerry Jones (when has he ever been misleading?).

Stephen Jones, speaking on @1053thefan, about Jaylon Smith: "Our guys are so confident he's going to make a huge jump" from where he was this year to next year. #cowboyswire

— David Helman (@HelmanDC) January 8, 2018

Dallas will also have Damien Wilson entering his own contract-year next season, but it’s not like he’s making anybody feel safer about the state of the position group.

There are two significant Cowboys linebackers who will be free agents this offseason, Anthony Hitchens and Kyle Wilber. The latter has always been more of a contributor on special teams, it’s the former that has people interested these days.

Everyone is under the impression that neither DeMarcus Lawrence nor David Irving are going anywhere in all likelihood, so that makes Anthony Hitchens the most important free agent on the Cowboys this offseason. It’s critical to bring him back.

Hitchens almost didn’t play last season, a point he reflected on last week, but thankfully he did, and quite frankly he was impressive. He filled in admirably for both Lee and Smith due to injuries and lack of readiness throughout last season.

Given his own talents and the lack of depth at the position, Cowboys fans want Hitchens back, and you can understand why they feel linebacker is such a dire need.

When it comes to linebackers and Cowboys fans, though, there is no more popular name these days than Georgia’s Roquan Smith.

He may be coming off of a loss in the National Championship game, but Roquan has some insanely special skills that will translate to the NFL level.

Smith played in Kirby Smart’s system at Georgia as their WLB, and technically that’s Sean Lee’s position in Dallas. Roquan could be a bit of a long-term play for the Cowboys, but his talent is so hard to ignore, and Sean Lee isn’t exactly the pinnacle of health.

It’s understandable if you feel that Roquan is the guy you want to spend the 19th overall pick on (assuming he even lasts that long or if you did trade up). He’s one of the more special talents at the position to enter the NFL Draft in quite some time.

In the FILM ROOM, coaches react to the effort and play of Roquan Smith

How would you like to see him in a Cowboys jersey #CFBPlayoff #NationalChampionship pic.twitter.com/TwQ4pca6eh

— Troy Hughes™ (@TommySledge) January 9, 2018

What if the Cowboys managed to bring back Anthony Hitchens, though? Would you still want Roquan? Dallas would be financially committed to he and Lee, with a former second-round pick entering his third (sort of second) season alongside a would-be first-rounder. That’s a lot of investment in one position group.

Of course, the front and back sides of the Cowboys defense has already seen its fair share of draft capital put into it. Dallas has spent premium picks to get pass rushers and secondary players, maybe it is worth committing one to Roquan even if they bring back Hitchens. The more the merrier, right?

Dallas has had a tendency to assume that things will be okay where they have a point of talent, like the linebacker position for example. They’ve done a poor job as of late in the depth department, the Chaz Green fiasco in Atlanta serves as the latest example. They have to learn to prepare for injuries better, Sean Lee’s is another example.

As scary as it sounds, it’s well within the Cowboys realm of possibility to re-sign Anthony Hitchens, and say to themselves “we’ve got Lee, Jaylon, and Hitchens... we’re good.”

Is this a line of thinking you’re alright with? Banking on those three linebackers plus Damien Wilson and some other veteran or late-round pick so that the first-rounder can be devoted elsewhere? Let your voice be heard, BTB.

Continue reading...

Reaction score
In this day of 4,000-5,000 yard passing seasons by average QBs, I would rather take the best Safety, all things being equal. Someone big enough to play some 3rd & long LB. I would take Derwin James, FSU. He's 6-2, 215, can cover deep, but hits like a truck. Great wrap tackling form you rarely see in this day of shoulder tackles. To me, he is more valuable because he's versatile. Besides, with such a cap strapped situation, I wouldn't want so much money going into the LB group. To me, Byron is a cover corner. He just doesn't have the instincts of a FS, but he's a fabulous one-on-one cover guy. We have two others we drafted last year, so FS is the next step in making our secondary elite.

Dwight

Reaction score
If this team has an opportunity to draft Roquan Smith, the FO should do it immediately.

When Sean Lee doesn’t play the Cowboys defense suffers. Plus Lee will not last long.

Roquan Smith and Sean Lee (if playing) would cause instant havoc and problems for offenses.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly, and we still don't know what we have in Jaylon Smith. If he continues to improve, then great. Still, regardless of Jaylon Smith, Roquan Smith would be a no-brainer if available for this team.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Of course not. It's a silly argument to only be three deep at the position.

Hitchens has value as he can play all three spots. Pretty obvious that Lee's best position is at WLB. Smith is scheme diverse but will probably live in the middle and the strongside more, at least until we can see if he regains a bit more explosiveness. I see Roquan as being able to split reps with Lee as well as in the middle as he's a sound tackler and chipping in at WLB.

I think Roquan can play any of the positions honestly. He's small for SLB, but he's so quick that he can shed a TE block fairly well.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
usa_today_10532502.0.jpg

Cowboys fans have their eyes on the Georgia linebacker.

There are a lot of people who feel that the top need for the Dallas Cowboys entering 2018 is at linebacker.

It’s not hard to disagree with that, the middle of their defense certainly needs help. What’s ironic is an argument could be made that their best defensive player is a linebacker in Sean Lee.

The General and Jaylon Smith will patrol the heart of the Cowboys defense next season, at least that’s the hope and plan, especially if you believe Jerry Jones (when has he ever been misleading?).

Stephen Jones, speaking on @1053thefan, about Jaylon Smith: "Our guys are so confident he's going to make a huge jump" from where he was this year to next year. #cowboyswire

— David Helman (@HelmanDC) January 8, 2018

Dallas will also have Damien Wilson entering his own contract-year next season, but it’s not like he’s making anybody feel safer about the state of the position group.

There are two significant Cowboys linebackers who will be free agents this offseason, Anthony Hitchens and Kyle Wilber. The latter has always been more of a contributor on special teams, it’s the former that has people interested these days.

Everyone is under the impression that neither DeMarcus Lawrence nor David Irving are going anywhere in all likelihood, so that makes Anthony Hitchens the most important free agent on the Cowboys this offseason. It’s critical to bring him back.

Hitchens almost didn’t play last season, a point he reflected on last week, but thankfully he did, and quite frankly he was impressive. He filled in admirably for both Lee and Smith due to injuries and lack of readiness throughout last season.

Given his own talents and the lack of depth at the position, Cowboys fans want Hitchens back, and you can understand why they feel linebacker is such a dire need.

When it comes to linebackers and Cowboys fans, though, there is no more popular name these days than Georgia’s Roquan Smith.

He may be coming off of a loss in the National Championship game, but Roquan has some insanely special skills that will translate to the NFL level.

Smith played in Kirby Smart’s system at Georgia as their WLB, and technically that’s Sean Lee’s position in Dallas. Roquan could be a bit of a long-term play for the Cowboys, but his talent is so hard to ignore, and Sean Lee isn’t exactly the pinnacle of health.

It’s understandable if you feel that Roquan is the guy you want to spend the 19th overall pick on (assuming he even lasts that long or if you did trade up). He’s one of the more special talents at the position to enter the NFL Draft in quite some time.

In the FILM ROOM, coaches react to the effort and play of Roquan Smith

How would you like to see him in a Cowboys jersey #CFBPlayoff #NationalChampionship pic.twitter.com/TwQ4pca6eh

— Troy Hughes™ (@TommySledge) January 9, 2018

What if the Cowboys managed to bring back Anthony Hitchens, though? Would you still want Roquan? Dallas would be financially committed to he and Lee, with a former second-round pick entering his third (sort of second) season alongside a would-be first-rounder. That’s a lot of investment in one position group.

Of course, the front and back sides of the Cowboys defense has already seen its fair share of draft capital put into it. Dallas has spent premium picks to get pass rushers and secondary players, maybe it is worth committing one to Roquan even if they bring back Hitchens. The more the merrier, right?

Dallas has had a tendency to assume that things will be okay where they have a point of talent, like the linebacker position for example. They’ve done a poor job as of late in the depth department, the Chaz Green fiasco in Atlanta serves as the latest example. They have to learn to prepare for injuries better, Sean Lee’s is another example.

As scary as it sounds, it’s well within the Cowboys realm of possibility to re-sign Anthony Hitchens, and say to themselves “we’ve got Lee, Jaylon, and Hitchens... we’re good.”

Is this a line of thinking you’re alright with? Banking on those three linebackers plus Damien Wilson and some other veteran or late-round pick so that the first-rounder can be devoted elsewhere? Let your voice be heard, BTB.

Continue reading...
HELL NO

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It all depends on who is available. Roquan's good and I wouldn't be upset if we got him, but this is a great year to go DT. Hurst, Payne, Vea, Bryan, there are some beasts in this class.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It all depends on who is available. Roquan's good and I wouldn't be upset if we got him, but this is a great year to go DT. Hurst, Payne, Vea, Bryan, there are some beasts in this class.

I'd love to have Vea, but the Cowboys seem to not like big DTs. So, Roquan would probably be their best option in that case.

rkell87

Reaction score
The fact that this many fans have latched on to him so early makes me think he won't be within reach.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I know bloggers are desperate for content right now, but is this a serious question?
I think it is a trick question. You unequivocally, without a doubt take him and you don't look back. Lee will be 32 and is injury prone. Love him but you can't play for ever.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
In this day of 4,000-5,000 yard passing seasons by average QBs, I would rather take the best Safety, all things being equal. Someone big enough to play some 3rd & long LB. I would take Derwin James, FSU. He's 6-2, 215, can cover deep, but hits like a truck. Great wrap tackling form you rarely see in this day of shoulder tackles. To me, he is more valuable because he's versatile. Besides, with such a cap strapped situation, I wouldn't want so much money going into the LB group. To me, Byron is a cover corner. He just doesn't have the instincts of a FS, but he's a fabulous one-on-one cover guy. We have two others we drafted last year, so FS is the next step in making our secondary elite.
Adding talent is what we need. Grabbing a guy like Roquan is great but he should be taken before Derwin...... Who I like as well.

I'm happy with Roquan or Derwin and understand your thinking.

Hitchens and Lee are injury prone and we need a LB either in free agency or draft. Perhaps both

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how he tests and how it affects his draft stock. He's not that big and no doubt speed is his game, but to me he doesn't look he will wow anyone in how he tests. If you look at his tape I think he will be valued high but just curious to see how it plays out with him.

I like R Smith but personally I don't think he's a top 10 guy just based strictly on watching him. I haven't started looking at prospects and scouting reports to determine where he stacks up against the other guys.

I think his stock is in the 15-25 range and no doubt we will be connected to him throughout the whole process as well as a few others