News: BTB: Would re-signing Anthony Hitchens stop you from drafting Roquan Smith?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The guy deserves the hype.

He’s a bigtime player in bigtime games.

He’s a little short and not a thumper but my gosh can he play football and we need that.

I would draft him and figure it out later.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The guy deserves the hype.

He’s a bigtime player in bigtime games.

He’s a little short and not a thumper but my gosh can he play football and we need that.

I would draft him and figure it out later.

Yup, there are players that are no brainers just because of how good they are, and he's one of them. Hell, if it were up to me, if he were undersized for linebacker, perhaps we may have found a safety. I think you know where I'm going with this.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup, there are players that are no brainers just because of how good they are, and he's one of them. Hell, if it were up to me, if he were undersized for linebacker, perhaps we may have found a safety. I think you know where I'm going with this.

I seem to recall that we drafted a player the year I was born (1992) who was a linebacker in college, and turned out to be one of the greatest safeties of all time.

cowboyec

Reaction score
he is a football playin' dude.
he is someone you have to account for.
he is a game wrecker.
you can't have enuff good'ns...and he is a good'n.
if he slips to 19....take him....you have to.

Chappy

Reaction score
If he is on the board you take him end discussion.

No way can you pass on this guy at #19.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
No.
I would look to add one, and maybe two, with our four picks in rounds 3/4 however.

cnuball21

Reaction score
If we have Hitchens long term, than I don't think you could justify Roquan.

I agree with this. Roquan is a WIll and needs to play on the outside in space. I understand Lee is getting older, but we've got a logjam of that type of skill set with him and Jaylon.

I'm playing Hitch at the Mike with Lee on the outside while letting Jaylon eat up SAM and nickel snaps and eventually taking over Lee's role.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I like Hitchens and hope we re-sign him for a modest amount, however I would not allow him to effect draft plans what so ever.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I agree with this. Roquan is a WIll and needs to play on the outside in space. I understand Lee is getting older, but we've got a logjam of that type of skill set with him and Jaylon.

I'm playing Hitch at the Mike with Lee on the outside while letting Jaylon eat up SAM and nickel snaps and eventually taking over Lee's role.

Good to see you, Cnu!

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
If Smith is there when we pick, you draft him. We are not in any position to pass up top talent like that. Injuries happen, and talented depth at the position is something we are in need of.

Reaction score
It depends on if another top defender slips. I would rather have S Derwin James, FSU, than Smith. He is 6-2, 210 & tackles like a LB. He is a freak athlete with great instincts. He would allow the team to move Byron Jones back to his more natural position of shut down corner. Man, that one move alone would really make that secondary, with all of the other players they've added over the last two years. Also, there are some very good backers who will be available at the bottom of the second round, such as Jerome Baker, Ohio State, & Tremaine Edmunds, V. Tech. A pass rusher like Clelin Ferrell, Clemson, would also be hard to pass up for Smith. With Lawrence a wildcard, Irving a loose cannon, & Charlton inconsistent, I would love to see them get a quality DE to put more pressure on the passer.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
He looked like a stud this year in the playoffs so I would love to see Dallas pick him up. Vea would also be of interest. Hopefully Jerry doesn't go WR in the first.