Buccaneers | Not expected to retain D. Jackson

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
From KFFL:

Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:00:35 -0800

Roy Cummings, writing for the Sporting News, reports it appears the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not bring back FS Dexter Jackson in 2006.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think he would be a bad pickup at FS, nothing spectacular but a solid player. If Dallas could get a player like him at a good price I would have no problem with it. Face it your not going to fill every hole with some elite star player

Woods

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I don't think he would be a bad pickup at FS, nothing spectacular but a solid player. If Dallas could get a player like him at a good price I would have no problem with it. Face it your not going to fill every hole with some elite star player

I think he would be o.k.

In any case, with needs at LB, multiple needs on the OL, etc., we can't pay top dollar to just 1-2 players and jeopardize the rest of the roster.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Woods said:
I think he would be o.k.

In any case, with needs at LB, multiple needs on the OL, etc., we can't pay top dollar to just 1-2 players and jeopardize the rest of the roster.

I agree, you have so much money you can spend and your not going to be able to get all star players at every position. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers Jackson will gets.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
nothing spectacular but a solid player

This would be like filet mignon in front of a starving man. Jackson may be average but he is worlds better than what we had since Woodson.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
This would be like filet mignon in front of a starving man. Jackson may be average but he is worlds better than what we had since Woodson.

I agree. Now to see what others offer up to get him.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. Now to see what others offer up to get him.

I doubt much. I think he was available for a large part of free agency before finally signing with the bucs. He might have even been cut at one point.

The league doesn't value the FS position. The top FS last year, Dwight Smith, only signed for a $3.5 million SB. And this is for a guy who has experience at every position in the secondary.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
this is exactly the type of competent player we need here. even an average FS is going to do very well with our 3 CBs. To me using a first day pick on an FS who is not Ed Reed is a total waste.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
I doubt much. I think he was available for a large part of free agency before finally signing with the bucs. He might have even been cut at one point.

The league doesn't value the FS position. The top FS last year, Dwight Smith, only signed for a $3.5 million SB. And this is for a guy who has experience at every position in the secondary.

League may not value the FS but when you don't have one you realize the importance of the position. I hope this is an area we can fix before next season.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
League may not value the FS but when you don't have one you realize the importance of the position. I hope this is an area we can fix before next season.

The Cowboys don't either. They basically said as much last year.

I doubt the Cowboys use a high round draft choice or spend too much money on one.

I'd worry more about fixing the OL and defensive front 7 first and foremost.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:

I doubt the Cowboys use a high round draft choice or spend too much money on one.

That was also last year; because we failed to do something last year does not mean we will fail to do so this off-season. The year before last we did almost nothing in FA well that changed last off season now didn't it? I don't expect Dallas to pay a kings ransom for a FS but I do expect them not to sit on their hands and do nothing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:

I'd worry more about fixing the OL and defensive front 7 first and foremost.

I agree with OL and LB but I don't think stand pat with other position like FS. Losing games because WR are getting deep on us is not going to cut it and evidently we don't have anyone smart enough to prevent WR from getting behind them late in a game

polinskijr

Reaction score
We all need to understand that Ed Reed is a STRONG safety, enough said. You can't underestimate the importance of finding a true FREE safety. With that in mind, Dexter Jackson was a SB MVP, has a ton of experience, and would fit in nicely. I agree with everything else I read in regard to signing a LB, OL, etc . . .The only other free agent option, IMHO, is Chavous.:laugh1: :laugh2:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree with OL and LB but I don't think stand pat with other position like FS. Losing games because WR are getting deep on us is not going to cut it and evidently we don't have anyone smart enough to prevent WR from getting behind them late in a game

How many games did Dallas lose due to the FS being beat deep?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
polinskijr said:
We all need to understand that Ed Reed is a STRONG safety, enough said. You can't underestimate the importance of finding a true FREE safety. With that in mind, Dexter Jackson was a SB MVP, has a ton of experience, and would fit in nicely. I agree with everything else I read in regard to signing a LB, OL, etc . . .The only other free agent option, IMHO, is Chavous.:laugh1: :laugh2:

I'd take Hope. I'd consider Demps.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
How many games did Dallas lose due to the FS being beat deep?

How many deep passes did we give up that either made the game closer than it needed to be or in the end helped beat us? Dallas has some problems at FS and I feel it is an area that should be addressed.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
From KFFL:

Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:00:35 -0800

Roy Cummings, writing for the Sporting News, reports it appears the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not bring back FS Dexter Jackson in 2006.

For what its worth, the Commanders played TB twice this year...first game Jackson was out with an injury and Brunell had nearly 300 yards passing, and Portis 140 yards rushing. Second game Jackson was in and the TB defense played much better. Not saying it was all Jackson but the defense definately stepped it up a notch in the 2nd game we had with them.

He's also the SB MVP from 2002, so his experience would definately help any team IMO.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It was said earlier. A Super Bowl MVP with experience about the position. Why not plug that hole now and draft someone later to groom behind him?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
How many deep passes did we give up that either made the game closer than it needed to be or in the end helped beat us? Dallas has some problems at FS and I feel it is an area that should be addressed.

Not as many as people seem to think. And not as many that were directly the result of the FS.

Off the top of my head I can think of a major gaffe on Davis in the Oakland game.

How many games were close or were lost because Dallas couldn't stop the run and got little to no pass rush?

For as bad as Dallas' pass defense was due to FS play like everyone like to claim, they were ranked 11th overall with 192.7 YPG. Only 9 teams had fewer passing TDs scored on them. Passers completed a paltry 54.7% of their passes on Dallas, good for #2 overall in the league.

I respectfully disagree. I'd like to add a FS, but I think there are bigger fish to fry.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
It was said earlier. A Super Bowl MVP with experience about the position. Why not plug that hole now and draft someone later to groom behind him?

A good FS is huge IMO. The game Sean Taylor missed due to injury the pass defense was noticably weaker as well.

It looks like Jackson is only 28. As a Skins fan, I can tell you he is one guy I do not want to see in a Cowboys uniform next year. It will only make Roy Williams a better player.