Buccaneers | Not expected to retain D. Jackson

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
Not as many as people seem to think. And not as many that were directly the result of the FS.

Off the top of my head I can think of a major gaffe on Davis in the Oakland game.

How many games were close or were lost because Dallas couldn't stop the run and got little to no pass rush?

For as bad as Dallas' pass defense was due to FS play like everyone like to claim, they were ranked 11th overall with 192.7 YPG. Only 9 teams had fewer passing TDs scored on them. Passers completed a paltry 54.7% of their passes on Dallas, good for #2 overall in the league.

I respectfully disagree. I'd like to add a FS, but I think there are bigger fish to fry.

Well then we just disagree but Carolina got right back into the game off the long ball and there were other games that the long ball made the game closer than need be. I agree Dallas has other areas that need to be addressed but we have more than a couple of picks in the draft and we have money under the cap to address more than 1 or 2 position on this team. To do nothing in my opinion would be foolish and evidently many who cover the NFL feel Dallas is weak at FS thus many mock drafts have us taking 1.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Well then we just disagree but Carolina got right back into the game off the long ball and there were other games that the long ball made the game closer than need be. I agree Dallas has other areas that need to be addressed but we have more than a couple of picks in the draft and we have money under the cap to address more than 1 or 2 position on this team. To do nothing in my opinion would be foolish and evidently many who cover the NFL feel Dallas is weak at FS thus many mock drafts have us taking 1.

Augmenting the strength of every good corner there is a safety.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

I'd be very disappointed if Dallas wasted a first round pick on a FS.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
junk said:
I'd be very disappointed if Dallas wasted a first round pick on a FS.

Depends on who it is, I like Huff and think the guy would be an excellent pickup however I think there are other areas that Dallas could address with their 1st rd pick. I'm not narrow minded when it comes to draft day selection I understand there are ample options available to the Cowboys. (Note I'm not calling you narrow minded) LOL

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
junk said:
How many games did Dallas lose due to the FS being beat deep?

Are you being funny or serious?

The position was a huge liability.

Look at the Carolina game if you want an indication how bad it was in coverage. Had we not come back late, the mistakes both Davis and Pile made in that game would have cost us at least that contest. Davis was constantly a step short all season long. While it wasn't one specific play (like the Moss TDs), he made more than his fair share of coverage mistakes.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The Cowboys in the past had FS like James Washington(Plan B FA), Thomas Everett(older FA)and Brock Marion(6th or 7th round pick). Marion was the only one that played in a pro bowl and that was later on with Miami. They don't have to have a great safety just a competent one and they can find plenty of cheap solid ones in free agency. Problem solved. They already have two young guys to develop at safety. Davis and Beriault.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Are you being funny or serious?

The position was a huge liability.

Look at the Carolina game if you want an indication how bad it was in coverage. Had we not come back late, the mistakes both Davis and Pile made in that game would have cost us at least that contest. Davis was constantly a step short all season long. While it wasn't one specific play (like the Moss TDs), he made more than his fair share of coverage mistakes.

If FS was a "huge liability" then run defense, pass rush and offensive line were "massive liabilities". I am not opposed to adding a player at FS and I think Dallas should. I, however, do not think the team should burn a high round draft pick or spend a lot of money on one.

How many "impact" players are there in the NFL at the FS position? The guy sits 20 yards off the ball. Much rather have a solid run defense and a better pass rush before I worry about a guy played last line of defense/center field.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Depends on who it is, I like Huff and think the guy would be an excellent pickup however I think there are other areas that Dallas could address with their 1st rd pick. I'm not narrow minded when it comes to draft day selection I understand there are ample options available to the Cowboys. (Note I'm not calling you narrow minded) LOL

And I also need to make sure I don't just lock into LB or OT for that first round pick either. This team has plenty of holes to fill.

I just don't see many free safeties around the league that are consistent difference makers to warrant a high draft pick or large free agent dollars.

Dwight Smith is a superior FS to any of the candidates available this year in FA and he only signed a $3.5 million SB.

I also feel there is a lot of unnecessary hand wringing about the FS position. It needs to be addressed, but the media likes to make a big deal out of it, but, in reality, Dallas has much, much bigger issues. A good FS wouldn't have gotten Dallas in the playoffs last year. Better run defense and pass rush? Maybe. An improved OL? Probably.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:00:35 -0800

Roy Cummings, writing for the Sporting News, reports it appears the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not bring back FS Dexter Jackson in 2006. The team feels FS Will Allen is ready to take over as the starter at free safety. The team will probably use FS Kalvin Pearson as the backup at the free safety spot in 2006 making Jackson expendable.

Comments?

ghst187

Reaction score
i think BP even said he'd like to bring someone in at FS.
Keith Davis needs to move to backup Roy at SS and stay on ST.
Dexter would be a nice addition and solidify a very good secondary at a reasonable price. We'd really have plenty of money left over to go after players at higher priced positions like Bentley, who is likely to be worth the money, esp since we'll probably lose Gurode. Bentley can play C or G, positions we need help.

50cent

Reaction score
HE is and will always be the Larry Brown of the Bucs. A guy that cashed in after a SB MVP, but wasn't worth it nor that good. AZ let him go and now the Bucs are letting him go for the 2nd time. Red Flag all over him.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
50cent said:
HE is and will always be the Larry Brown of the Bucs. A guy that cashed in after a SB MVP, but wasn't worth it nor that good. AZ let him go and now the Bucs are letting him go for the 2nd time. Red Flag all over him.

You can also argue that the Bucs picked him up after his one year in Arizona for a reason

50cent

Reaction score
RiggoForever said:
You can also argue that the Bucs picked him up after his one year in Arizona for a reason
Yeah, he was a quick fix to a position that they needed. He knew the system and there wasn't a learning curve for him. They woke up and realized that he was what he was. And that is not very good.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Aikmaniac said:
From KFFL:

Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:00:35 -0800

Roy Cummings, writing for the Sporting News, reports it appears the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not bring back FS Dexter Jackson in 2006.

How old is he?

Rockytop6

Reaction score
He is young enough to help at a critical position. If he can be signed at a reasonable price he could be a good stop gap, backup, experienced guy to have on board.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would rather sign a guy like that then use a draft pick on a untested rookie we have to stick in there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
50cent said:
Yeah, he was a quick fix to a position that they needed. He knew the system and there wasn't a learning curve for him. They woke up and realized that he was what he was. And that is not very good.

They brought him back because he is a solid player, not a star player and will not get the press but he is consistant in his play. If Dallas can get him at a decent price it would be wise to do so. Face it your not going to have star players at every position sometimes solid is good especially in this day of Salary caps.