Twitter: Bucky Brooks nails it

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
All I know is that Marinade is laughing his azz off somewhere...

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Can you imagine what McCarthy would say if this defense didn't fit the players :muttley:

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
Basically what I see is the defense getting punched in the mouth and not doing anything about it. Their effort sucks...

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Except when they move on to other teams. Amazingly they don't suck anymore and go on to player many more years in tbe NFL.

Riddle me that Batman?

Riddle me this, maybe this team is cursed ever since Jerry supposedly asked God for one more Super Bowl back in the 90s, hence why we haven’t won since.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
it’s not even about “confusion” or complicated schemes. Our players just suck. That’s all. They’ve been in two schemes now. One that’s simple. One that’s “complex” (Nolan just sucks tho IMO). And they’re bad in both. Common denominator is our players are garbage.
This. The LB's and Safeties as units are probably one of, if not the worst we have ever had over the last 25 years and we have had some bad players at those positions in the past. Usually Smith is pushed back about 5 yards from his position before he assists in a tackle. Yesterday, he wasn't even in the picture.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Basically what I see is the defense getting punched in the mouth and not doing anything about it. Their effort sucks...
I think they administer effort however they lack talent and they also look like they do not trust their schemes or each other. They have no leadership, I know that.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
That’s because Phillip Rivers has an OL and RG now and knows how to control the clock. Rivers has three INTs and two of them were in the first two games with a brand new team. He hasn’t thrown a pick the last to games. They are second in terms of TOP.

Our offense on the other hand is thirty first.

I bet if Dallas had an oline like the Colts Dak will be playing ball control and we would be running more with Zeke.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

That's what a D that is getting demolished in the run game looks like. That's 40 plays where the front 7 is being attacked by the OL. It is likely less about effort than simple fatigue.

Redline360

Reaction score
Who would you rather have:

1) Freak of nature athlete but dumb as a rock
2) Average / Good athlete but "gets" the game..instincts

Then we have the cowboys defense..
3) Lack of physical talent(majority of them) and instincts combined with a circus DC

Very few players have the combination of both.

Just look at Smith. Was a freak of nature athlete(before his injury) however dumb as a rock when it comes to football instincts.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
It didn’t generate any turnovers.

I was in the camp that our defense needed a better D-Coordinator due to lack of pressure and lack of turnovers, but the first four games of this season seem to be supporting that our defensive players are really, really bad and not very smart. Aldon Smith is literally the only player on the entire defense that seems to be playing at an acceptable level every game and he was out of football for multiple years.

Maybe Dallas is just bad at scouting defensive talent and the simple bend but don't break schemes schemes was actually masking that.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Here I thought NFL players were smart? Why is it when you see a playbook it looks like an ENCYCLOPEDIA BOOK that I thought a player had to remember?When all the Defensive Coordinator has to do to look smart is whittle the playbook down to one play and call it a day! Does anyone have Coach Nolan's phone number? He needs to log on to Cowboy's Forum to get the latest 411 on how to fix his Defense!

Sydla

Reaction score
That’s because Phillip Rivers has an OL and RG now and knows how to control the clock. Rivers has three INTs and two of them were in the first two games with a brand new team. He hasn’t thrown a pick the last to games. They are second in terms of TOP.

Our offense on the other hand is thirty first.

The peripheral stats indicate that the Colts aren't just a product of limited offensive drives and ball control. The Colts are #1 in points per drive after 3 weeks (FO won't update for Week 4 until Monday night games are over). So their scoring D isn't just down because they face way less drives , they are the most effective per drive right now. They are top ten in turnovers, top ten in sacks, #1 in opposing QB rating, #1 in third down defense. They look like a good defense that isn't being propped up by ball control when you look at the peripheral stats. Frankly, who they played probably has more of an effect on their performance than how they've played on offense. They've played the Jets, LOL.

A perfect contrast is a few years ago when we were 6th in scoring D in 2018. But when you looked at our peripheral stats, it was way more tied to ball control offense than anything else. We were in the 20s in sacks, opposing passer rating, and turnovers. Points per drive, we were 12th. That was a defense partially propped up by an offense that chewed time.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The Colts D has thrived because they've played 4 garbage offenses.

Creeper

Reaction score
Call me naive, but DLaw had 5.5 sacks last year in a simplified defense. In fact, the defense was pretty terrible last year except for maybe Byron Jones and Sean Lee, when he played. The problem with this defense is the players are not very good. There is no scheme that will make this defense a great defense. No scheme is going to keep AWoods and Edgar Allan Poe from getting pushed off the line of scrimmage. No scheme is going to help DLaw beat a TE to sack the QB. No scheme is going to help the safeties avoid missing tackles. No scheme will help Jaylon Smith recognize plays faster and tackle correctly. And apparently, no scheme will get these players to take the ball away more often.

It is the players and I get McCarthy knows that which is why he is resistant to changing schemes. What he needs to do now is get player who fly around to the football. That's what this defense is lacking.