Twitter: Bucky Brooks nails it

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Our defense has been confused all season.

If I’m Dak I’m waiting to see if the Colts make me an offer. With that dynamic D he would be in a much better place. He would also be a huge upgrade from Phillip Rivers.

Oh would you shut up about this already? You are the epitome of a player over team guy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was in the camp that our defense needed a better D-Coordinator due to lack of pressure and lack of turnovers, but the first four games of this season seem to be supporting that our defensive players are really, really bad and not very smart. Aldon Smith is literally the only player on the entire defense that seems to be playing at an acceptable level every game and he was out of football for multiple years.

Maybe Dallas is just bad at scouting defensive talent and the simple bend but don't break schemes schemes was actually masking that.
Like I posted earlier man its telling that our defense....while not good last year surely was more middle of the pack than worst in the league. But its telling that the only person playing well is Aldon Smith who's the only one who actually fits this scheme and the only one who's played in it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Call me naive, but DLaw had 5.5 sacks last year in a simplified defense. In fact, the defense was pretty terrible last year except for maybe Byron Jones and Sean Lee, when he played. The problem with this defense is the players are not very good. There is no scheme that will make this defense a great defense. No scheme is going to keep AWoods and Edgar Allan Poe from getting pushed off the line of scrimmage. No scheme is going to help DLaw beat a TE to sack the QB. No scheme is going to help the safeties avoid missing tackles. No scheme will help Jaylon Smith recognize plays faster and tackle correctly. And apparently, no scheme will get these players to take the ball away more often.

It is the players and I get McCarthy knows that which is why he is resistant to changing schemes. What he needs to do now is get player who fly around to the football. That's what this defense is lacking.

Nolan's defense right now is the worst of all the new DCs hired relative to their points per game and yards per game averages from the previous season.

So this defense has gotten much worse, stats wise, than last year's middling defense. It's not just the players. We hired a mediocre DC too.

Reactions: BAT

fansince68

Reaction score
just because you cant see it being different doesn't mean changes werent attempted.. results are poor defense sure but they are trying and that im sure of... again you may not see nuisances you arent at practice or in meeting rooms where changes are bind made and cant all be done at ne.. get passed it again internet GM and Coach syndrome run rampant where teams are losing but truly fans have no knowledge on what was changed and whos doing what truly wrong..
They are trying? Lockette splits 2 safeties and neither make an attempt? Thats trying? Jaylon missing tackles while grabbing a face mask? Thats trying? Zack Martin refusing to play RT instead, put Steele there to get mauled. Thats trying? To truly make effort you have to have knowledge and heart. And thats what missing from this team.

24LE

Reaction score
One call, multiple, doesn’t matter. Trotting out Jaylon Smith, Darian Thompson, the wildly overrated Xavier Woods, and a plethora of other jags is the problem

Just imagine we now have to rebuild almost the entire defense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They are trying? Lockette splits 2 safeties and neither make an attempt? Thats trying? Jaylon missing tackles while grabbing a face mask? Thats trying? Zack Martin refusing to play RT instead, put Steele there to get mauled. Thats trying? To truly make effort you have to have knowledge and heart. And thats what missing from this team.
refusing my arse Mattin never refused..lmao..show me tangible roof hed lay anywhere the coach's needed but the coaches made the decsions and not playing Knight from snap one and bringing help was coaches fault i blame MOORE,,

Rayman70

Reaction score
we are SO ***** guys. We got clowns running the team upstairs and that also includes staff on the field. YEAH...MORE OF THE SAME IS NEEDED, BECAUSE THAT HAS WORKED SO WELL...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Having freaks like Deforest Buckner and Darius Leonard certainly does help
Yeah.
I was waiting for someone to state the incredibly obvious points that
1) they are loaded talent-wise
2) their combined 4 game schedule so far has been the easiest to defend in the NFL...on average. Jets, Bears, Jags, injured Vikes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. People complained about Marinelli's system which stressed execution over confusion
Nolan's defense is actually designed to be a "1 call defense".

They make 1 defensive call and then the 2 deep Safeties are expected to "read" their side of the field and adjust to what the offense is showing.

In many schemes if the offense shows certain formations, the player with the mic in the helmet has to signal for the entire defense to adjust (i.e. Change the call).

Unfortunately the Safeties have made bad decisions with regards to adjusting.

The scheme basically fails if the front 7 can't do a reasonably good job of stopping the run.

They might have to go back to more single-high.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
well if you listened to MM post game speech he stated he is against a one call defense but maybe that changes after he watches the game again..lol

Watching games is what MM does best, next to lying about watching games of course.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Nolan's defense is actually designed to be a "1 call defense".

They make 1 defensive call and then the 2 deep Safeties are expected to "read" their side of the field and adjust to what the offense is showing.

In many schemes if the offense shows certain formations, the player with the mic in the helmet has to signal for the entire defense to adjust (i.e. Change the call).

Unfortunately the Safeties have made bad decisions with regards to adjusting.

The scheme basically fails if the front 7 can't do a reasonably good job of stopping the run.

They might have to go back to more single-high.

Mike McCarthy says otherwise.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Lol. People complained about Marinelli's system which stressed execution over confusion
We've been through this with Rob Ryan already. I hate the 3-4. It requires more specialized personnel and relies on this excessive masking instead of just putting players in position to succeed.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy was asked what changes could be made from a personnel or coaching front on defense after Sunday’s loss. “Well, you know we’re in a scheme change from the prior scheme here and we’re not off to a good start. The worst thing we can do is narrow everything down and be a one-call defense. I refuse to do that. That’s not the path. We have a defense that fits our players, and we have to make sure we are getting those guys in position.”
I'll go on board, and say again.. It's less about complication, and more about disguise. This team for years has been too predictable. Both sides of the ball. Now we're playing tons of guys out of position. Especially with injury. Nolan is bonified trash.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Our defense has been confused all season.

If I’m Dak I’m waiting to see if the Colts make me an offer. With that dynamic D he would be in a much better place. He would also be a huge upgrade from Phillip Rivers.
Assuming Baltimore underperforms this year they’d be favorites to battle the chiefs in the AFC championship game if they signed him.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
it’s not even about “confusion” or complicated schemes. Our players just suck. That’s all. They’ve been in two schemes now. One that’s simple. One that’s “complex” (Nolan just sucks tho IMO). And they’re bad in both. Common denominator is our players are garbage.
They held a few high powered offenses to low scores before. They weren’t close to being this bad

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
That’s because Phillip Rivers has an OL and RG now and knows how to control the clock. Rivers has three INTs and two of them were in the first two games with a brand new team. He hasn’t thrown a pick the last to games. They are second in terms of TOP.

Our offense on the other hand is thirty first.
I agree with you stats don’t tell the story of a QB. They’re supposed to be like point guards that can control the pace of a game.

BHendri5

Reaction score

Garrett was the one always preaching Execution, not Marinelli, Jason Garrett the one everyone wanted gone.
Execution!!! Now everyone is throwing that word around but didn’t want to hear it before, ! Anyone that knows a smidgen about football knows that if you execute your plays you will have success even against superior talent you will have success, it may not happen the whole game and you may not win but you will have success. You can run the same 10 plays a game ala the 90s teams and win. Just Do Your Job, ala Bill Belichek

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Garrett was the one always preaching Execution, not Marinelli, Jason Garrett the one everyone wanted gone.
Execution!!! Now everyone is throwing that word around but didn’t want to hear it before, ! Anyone that knows a smidgen about football knows that if you execute your plays you will have success even against superior talent you will have success, it may not happen the whole game and you may not win but you will have success. You can run the same 10 plays a game ala the 90s teams and win. Just Do Your Job, ala Bill Belichek

Umm. No.

Marinelli was constantly criticized for not disguising anything. Literally, one call and execute.

Good lord, pay attention already.