Bucs Targeting Law

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bucs show interest in veteran CB Law

By RICK STROUD, Times Staff Writer
Published June 30, 2005
TAMPA - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are trying to make room for another veteran cornerback with a Super Bowl ring.

Three of them, to be exact.

Patriots cornerback Ty Law has received a contract proposal that was faxed from the Bucs.

General manager Bruce Allen did not specify what role he envisions the 31-year-old Law would play in Tampa Bay.

"He's one of several free agents we're looking at," Allen said Wednesday night.

When asked how signing Law would affect Bucs starting cornerbacks Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly, Allen said, "He's just one of many. We're looking for players at every position."

The courting of Law comes at a time when the Bucs are trying to clear about $6-million from the payroll for their rookie salary pool to sign 12 draft picks.

And with all the concerns the Bucs may have heading into the season, the cornerback position doesn't appear to be one of them.

Barber, an All-Pro last season, has expressed dissatisfaction over being the 27th highest-paid cornerback when free agency began. He has two seasons remaining on a six-year contract that averages $3-million and will earn $3.75-million in 2005.

Kelly, who has four years remaining on his contract, is scheduled to earn $2.4-million in base salary. The Bucs also signed Jaguars free agent Juran Bolden to be their nickel back.

Despite coming off a serious injury, Law may be seeking a deal in excess of either Bucs starting cornerback.

Law says the Jaguars, Jets, Dolphins, Chiefs and Colts also have expressed an interest in signing him.

"Tampa Bay faxed me an offer," Law told SI.com recently. "Indianapolis is in it. I got an offer, sight unseen, for $2.5-million for one year. If I wasn't ready, I'd just take it. But I'm going to be ready to play and that's not the kind of contract I should get."

Law suffered a fractured left foot against the Steelers last Halloween, which eventually healed late in the season. He played seven games and recorded just one interception before being released in February, ending a 10-year relationship with New England. Law was scheduled to make more than $10-million in salary and incentives this season.

Law said he also had a ligament strain that was not diagnosed by the Patriots which slowed his recovery this off-season. However, he recently worked out for the Jaguars.

According to Law, he is 85 percent and will be healthy in time for training camp.

The Bucs have 97 players on their roster and must get down to 90 before they report to training camp July 28. Among the players expected to be released is tackle Todd Steussie, who missed the last few weeks of voluntary workouts and was told not to attend the mandatory minicamp last week.

Cutting Steussie could save the Bucs about $2-million, but other veterans could also get the ax unless Allen is able to restructure some contracts.

"When we have to make some calls, we'll make some calls," Bucs coach Jon Gruden said. "And in the time being, we'll see what's going on around the league."

Apparently, one of the players the Bucs are targeting is Law, a mainstay in Patriots winning of three Super Bowls in the past four years.

"I'm going to be the best cornerback in football this year," Law said. "I'm just not sure where that's going to be yet."

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hostile said:
According to Law, he is 85 percent and will be healthy in time for training camp.

Read: "I still can't cut and let's shoot for opening day."

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Here come the Bucs. :rolleyes:

I correctly predicted they'd get in the Law mix, but I never expected them to make overtures so soon. If they do sign him, I hope they have their PUP list paperwork on him already filled out and ready to send in to the league.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Waffle said:
Here come the Bucs. :rolleyes:

I correctly predicted they'd get in the Law mix, but I never expected them to make overtures so soon. If they do sign him, I hope they have their PUP list paperwork on him already filled out and ready to send in to the league.
Well, you got me beat because I said the Steelers.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
How can the bucs afford him? I don't think there is anyway they could offer much more than the minimum. They are the definition of cash strapped.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
junk said:
How can the bucs afford him? I don't think there is anyway they could offer much more than the minimum. They are the definition of cash strapped.
That might make them better bets really.
Law wants to see the money.

Best way to do that is to offer him a lot of guaranteed money spread out over 3 years.

Say 10 mil signing bonus(1 mil this year, 4 mil next and 5 mil in year 3 but all guaranteed regardless of him being cut). Min deal this year, 2 mil next and 3 mil in year 3, with a final 10 mil in year 4 that he will never see.

You end up with a rich sounding 26 mil, 4 year deal that is really 3 year 16 mil. If the guy is reasonably healthy thats not a bad deal for Ty Law or the team paying him. First year cap hit of less than 2 million.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this Law guy. Last year when he went down the Patriots didn't skip a beat on defense. I think Law has benefited from the "System" there...Kinda like Denver RB's seem to benefit from there system.

Law can't run or cut and he's 31.

I think he is over rated, injured and old. I hope Tampa signs him and cuts Barber...Biggest mistake they could make.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Read: "I still can't cut and let's shoot for opening day."

I read this as "I'm not well yet, don't know when I will be, don't know if I ever will be the same player who is getting older anyway, but I want to get as much money as I can out of somebody desperate".

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Well, you got me beat because I said the Steelers.
The Steelers would be a great fit but teams and players seldom do what makes the most sense.

Thats a good team on the verge of greatness who could use a vet CB that knows how to cover AFC WRs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jobberone said:
I read this as "I'm not well yet, don't know when I will be, don't know if I ever will be the same player who is getting older anyway, but I want to get as much money as I can out of somebody desperate".

I dont know.
I think there is a good chance Law recovers during training camp.
I would have no problem handing him a low risk deal to get him signed now but not the deal he wants.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he is over rated, injured and old. I hope Tampa signs him and cuts Barber...Biggest mistake they could make.

Ronde's very upset about his pay right now. I can see this happening.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I dont know.
I think there is a good chance Law recovers during training camp.
I would have no problem handing him a low risk deal to get him signed now but not the deal he wants.

Oh I agree with that completely if he passes a physical but right now he's posturing which is what he should be doing. I suspect he has a chance to play at a good level this year.

But without knowing how bad his injury was and how he's looking now then all I can do is be a little suspicious about that injury. It just depends on how bad it was and how well things have gone.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just as long as the cripple doesn't end up in Dallas... I'll be grateful.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Chiefs | Ambrose Signs One-year Deal
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:43:56 -0700

ESPNews reports the Kansas City Chiefs have signed free agent CB Ashley Ambrose (Saints) to a one-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Chiefs out
Tampa No cap?
Pitt no Cap?
Jets drafted and not in game
Miami - Vet min offer

Me thinks his viable options are running out. Our chances go up. And by the way he is running with Kersee the track dude, he's on track and somene gets a score in Law.

Scott? Berry 0? Izell Reese? Miki - how did he fare in Canada last year? Benched for an injured CB Vincent? Eh? And they went on a 9-3ish run? :)

silver

Reaction score
Nors said:

ESPNews reports the Kansas City Chiefs have signed free agent CB Ashley Ambrose (Saints) to a one-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Chiefs out
Tampa No cap?
Pitt no Cap?
Miami - Vet min offer

Me thinks his viable options are running out. Our chances go up. And by the way he is running with Kersee the track dude, he's on track and somene gets a score in Law.

Scott? Berry 0? Izell Reese? Miki - how did he fare in Canada last year? Benched for an injured CB Vincent? Eh? And they went on a 9-3ish run? :)

and yet the postons are still inept

silver

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Just as long as the cripple doesn't end up in Dallas... I'll be grateful.

hey that's not nice.

you probably meant: "just as long as the physically challenged defensive back, who is represented by less than stellar agents (inept) doesn't end up in Dallas... I'll be grateful.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Nors said:

Chiefs out
Tampa No cap?
Pitt no Cap?
Miami - Vet min offer

Scott? Berry 0? Izell Reese? Miki - how did he fare in Canada last year? Benched for an injured CB Vincent? Eh? And they went on a 9-3ish run?
smile.gif

•KC signing Ambrose was expected. Vermeil already said that if Law wanted big dollars, they were out. Law wants big dollars, so KC went elsewhere. In addition, KC wanted a player that could actually pass a physical.

•I agree his options are running out. With that said, simply running with Kersee doesn't mean his foot is 100%. Actually, he might be better off visiting a faith-healer because it will take a miracle for him to be ready by the season opener. BTW...If the Bucs want him, they'll find the cap space.

•Law has NEVER stated he would even consider a move to safety. In fact, he was quoted in an article the other day that he would be the "best CB in the NFL this year" or something to that effect.
rolleyes.gif

Never has he said he would play safety. Not gonna happen.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Waffle said:
•I agree his options are running out. With that said, simply running with Kersee doesn't mean his foot is 100%. Actually, he might be better off visiting a faith-healer because it will take a miracle for him to be ready by the season opener. BTW...If the Bucs want him, they'll find the cap space.

I think the bucs would be hard pressed to offer much more than the minimum. Most of their players have balked at redoing their deals and I think they still have to shave off something like $5 million just to sign their rooks.

I have heard that Donnie Abraham is still waffling up in NY, so I wouldn't rule out the Jets. Pittsburgh can get under the cap to work out something if need be. They are ~$2 million under right now, no problem. The Colts are an option. They have cap space. The Fish have offered a veteran minimum deal and could do more if they wanted. Cleveland has cap space and Law could always wind up with Crennel again. Jacksonville brought him in and has cap space.

I don't know where I see this headed actually. As it gets closer to the season and the guy is unsigned, the possibilities for Dallas increase. I just can't see anyone giving him big money though and Law seems dead set on getting big money and on playing corner.

I mentioned Law was all about the money last year when this supposed "trade" was in the works and got scoffed at. I think its pretty obvious money is the primary factor in his pursuit.

I personally think its a wait and see game right now. Once the guy is healthy, teams can make serious offers. I think teams are just low balling him now while he isn't healthy to see if he bites.

Then there are teams we aren't even hearing right now such as Arizona, Chicago, Houston, Philly, St. Louis, San Diego and even Green Bay that would have the cap room to make a move if they wanted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2004973