Bugs are Malevolent Pests

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few minutes ago, I was just walking, minding my own business. Suddenly, I see a gnat out the corner of my right eye, flying PAST my head. I did not think much about it UNTIL a second later, when I noticed the gnat had flown a full FOOT in front of me, did a U-TURN, and made a kamikaze run STRAIGHT at my right nostril.

One of the most disgusting things I have done is clear my nose without TP or Kleenex. :mad:

Are there any insect experts out there? Can anyone tell me if bugs are instinctually suicidal? Or are they just spawns of Satan himself?

/half-joking

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
A few minutes ago, I was just walking, minding my own business. Suddenly, I see a gnat out the corner of my right eye, flying PAST my head. I did not think much about it UNTIL a second later, when I noticed the gnat had flown a full FOOT in front of me, did a U-TURN, and made a kamikaze run STRAIGHT at my right nostril.

One of the most disgusting things I have done is clear my nose without TP or Kleenex. :mad:

Are there any insect experts out there? Can anyone tell me if bugs are instinctually suicidal? Or are they just spawns of Satan himself?

/half-joking
Gnats go for moisture. I spent a few years in Georgia which is gnat heaven.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

/half-joking
I'm not an expert, but I can tell you I've found that wearing sunglasses on the back of my head seems to deter horseflies and deer flies, since they usually go for your back.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the few things I like about winter/cold weather.
No bugs outside to bug you.

Gnats, fleas, ticks, deer flies, horse flies, spiders, bees, wasps, hornets, millipedes, scorpions, No See Ums down in florida, fire ants and chiggers....almost all out to get you.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

/half-joking
Spawns of Satan.

Next question….

Here are some good bugs: Just moved up North again and seeing lightning bugs for the first time in a long while. Hypnotic to watch a gang of them in action over the fields lighting their tails up. Brings back good memories of camping in my youth too.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Sort of an insect expert here (not really but I am pretty weird and have watched an obsessive amount of videos about them).

Many insects like gnats are indeed stupid. They rely almost exclusively on instinct, and survival in numbers. Gnats have a zillion babies because half a zillion die before they get to live life and reproduce. They are creatures that react to external stimuli. Gnats, flies, moths, etc fall into this category.

There are some intelligent species, such as the praying mantis, bees and dragonflies.

The king of bugs as far as intelligence goes is almost definitely spiders. I have befriended many spiders and they are intelligent animals. Especially predatory hunting spiders, like wolf spiders.

Some species of Jumping spiders even dream, and plan out their hunts in a way that scientists have only observed in mammals like wolves and large cats. They are ridiculously smart for an animal of their size and some of the most efficient hunters on the planet.

So, maybe befriending some jumping spiders will take care of your gnat problem.

nobody

Reaction score
Spawns of Satan.

Next question….

Here are some good bugs: Just moved up North again and seeing lightning bugs for the first time in a long while. Hypnotic to watch a gang of them in action over the fields lighting their tails up. Brings back good memories of camping in my youth too.
You don't have to go up north for them. Some are around the DFW area. There's a park near my house that gets them.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You don't have to go up north for them. Some are around the DFW area. There's a park near my house that gets them.
I know, was raised there. Those are where the memories are from. Coming from someone who recently lived in places like San Antonio and Miami, everything is north to me. LOL

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I used to golf at this course years ago and the 8th hole was notorious for zillions of nats.

A couple of other bugs I'd throw in there are the stink bugs and the earwigs. They somehow always seem to get in the house.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Having ridden across the county on a motorcycle a few times with only sunglasses and a grin on my face I've had opportunity to taste hundreds or thousands of bugs. Haven't found a good eating one yet. In the fifth grade our social studies teacher took us out to collect grasshoppers which we brought in and deep fried in the classroom. They were ok in the 'anything deep fried is ok' sense, but nothing I'd seek out.

rags747

Reaction score
Having ridden across the county on a motorcycle a few times with only sunglasses and a grin on my face I've had opportunity to taste hundreds or thousands of bugs. Haven't found a good eating one yet. In the fifth grade our social studies teacher took us out to collect grasshoppers which we brought in and deep fried in the classroom. They were ok in the 'anything deep fried is ok' sense, but nothing I'd seek out.
Where was PETA in all of this?!

Praxit

Reaction score

/half-joking
...lol... I feel ya, man. I've had some encounters number of times, while jogging. One time a stupid bee crashed right into my head, hitting my left temple.

The dude, seriously Kamikazied. I stopped and swapped my left side. I felt something fall away from me, in the grass it looked like a bee.

When I got home that area was red and swollen..lol. ******* Bee.

giphy.webp