Building the Defense

JBS

Reaction score
We have never been in a position in recent years to sign the pick of the bunch in free agency. It's not even been on the table. We have wasted the Dak years when we had a top performing QB on a rookie deal. The contracts handed to Elliott, Smith and I have to say Lawrence have contributed to us not being players in free agency. None of them have justified these contracts

Are you seriously suggesting we have managed our cap well in terms of who we have paid and what is left to spend in free agency? We have drafted players too high (Elliott, Smith) and then paid them top dollars.

My point about the Bucs is that they drafted well, spent well in free agency and rounded the team off with the signing of Brady.

Lies

Swagger

Reaction score
We have never been in a position in recent years to sign the pick of the bunch in free agency. It's not even been on the table. We have wasted the Dak years when we had a top performing QB on a rookie deal. The contracts handed to Elliott, Smith and I have to say Lawrence have contributed to us not being players in free agency. None of them have justified these contracts

Are you seriously suggesting we have managed our cap well in terms of who we have paid and what is left to spend in free agency? We have drafted players too high (Elliott, Smith) and then paid them top dollars.

My point about the Bucs is that they drafted well, spent well in free agency and rounded the team off with the signing of Brady.
Yes agree.

They nailed their first two round draft picks especially. Tristan Wirfs was a contender for offensive rookie of the year as an o lineman and Winfield Jr had an excellent rookie season at safety.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It all depends on how the team drafts.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well said. And if you have impactful drafts, you can have great performance at low cap hit costs. Having a couple of good FAs can be good. But having a great draft is exponentially more important when building a roster that wins.
The biggest problem a team faces is when a pick doesn't work out and they are forced to address the need through fa.

Majic

Reaction score

Way to simple an answer.

You haven't signed your QB to a long-term deal. Every year the Cowboys are up against the cap and have to renegotiate deals to convert salary into bonus. If they end up pushing some of the unused cap into next year so what.

They have not been factors in free agency and nor could they due to whom they have signed and who on their team they think they need to sign. They are very poor at evaluating their own talent

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m not trying to predict what they’ll do... I’m saying what I think they should do.

Stop gaps are a good way to open up the draft for your team, but they should also take an opportunity to fill a spot when the right player at the right position is there.

Will they? I doubt it. However, a young player like Marcus Williams could solidify a safety spot for years to come, and it wouldn’t be some crazy high contract like an Adams... that they thought about trading for. The main difference is that Adams would have cost high draft picks and Williams won’t and will cost less.

I think you will be surprised what type of money Marcus Williams will get on the open market, just 24 with great ball production. I've heard he may garner close to 14 million per season. A good free safety is far more then a box one like Jamal Adams.

Fully understand your point. You look at the good run teams, they take advantage of free agency, not to look to hold down positions. In my opinion, under Jerry this franchise is too star driven, without enough role players. He has several making top dollar, but the rest of the roster is littered with low level talent. Until that changes, they are going to have to continue this strategy

JBS

Reaction score
Way to simple an answer.

You haven't signed your QB to a long-term deal. Every year the Cowboys are up against the cap and have to renegotiate deals to convert salary into bonus. If they end up pushing some of the unused cap into next year so what.

They have not been factors in free agency and nor could they due to whom they have signed and who on their team they think they need to sign. They are very poor at evaluating their own talent

Yeah well when you spend some of the least amount of cap space 3 years In a row, you could spend much more. So they aren't up against the cap.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol! You mean the DJ Reader that went on IR week 5 and missed the rest of the season. He’s the epitome of the reason they won’t bring in FA other than stop gaps!
Absolutely. If you're that terrified someone will get hurt, the NFL is not for you.

kskboys

Reaction score
The problem is just how many recent X-Cowboys that have a SB Ring

Either the talent was bad

OR

The coaching/ schemes were bad
Coaching was terrible, and the talent was incomplete.

exciter

Reaction score
Absolutely. If you're that terrified someone will get hurt, the NFL is not for you.
Lol! Or you can be smart and not give 12m average contracts to immensely overweight 2 down 1techs!

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol! Or you can be smart and not give 12m average contracts to immensely overweight 2 down 1techs!
Your post is not smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reader is huge, not overweight. Do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yeah, this crapp about taking some sliding player that we just have to have is not working. The most overused term in the draft today is "value". Know what draft value is? It's finding a player who turns a position of weakness into a strength. That's real draft value.
Like your way of thinking

kskboys

Reaction score
Well we tried to get stopgaps against what they had been doing for JG’s tenure this past season signing over the age of 28 and that didn’t work either. Stephen and Will try to fit pieces and think we are set once fulfilled and move onto the next position. Problem is some of those guys just can’t play. It’s been happening for years around here. It must change. Give me one good one like Simmons, and fill the rest in with draft picks and just role player FA’s.
The biggest problem has been our player evalution. We paid top dollar to a #2 CB, Signed a 3-4 DE and forced him to play NT, and then signed two players who were not good anymore to decent sized contracts. Jerry n Stephen are absolutely awful at player evaluation.

exciter

Reaction score
Your post is not smart!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reader is huge, not overweight. Do your homework!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, not smart is advocating for a ridiculous contract for an overnight player that spent the season on IR for a team that’s continuously picking in the top 5!

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes agree.

They nailed their first two round draft picks especially. Tristan Wirfs was a contender for offensive rookie of the year as an o lineman and Winfield Jr had an excellent rookie season at safety.
Winfield was a steal in the 2nd. Has had injury issues, I think that's what made him slide.

I think I remember seeing their other drafts picks contributing also, Vaughn at RB, Davis at DT, and didn't Johnson at WR catch a pass in the super bowl?

kskboys

Reaction score
lol, not smart is advocating for a ridiculous contract for an overnight player that spent the season on IR for a team that’s continuously picking in the top 5!
And really dumb is calling him an overnight player. You're not even aware that he's a beast and considered a top 5 NT. He's so athletic at 350 that Houston played him all over their DLine.

Honestly, you're making a fool out of yourself. Just quit.

exciter

Reaction score
And really dumb is calling him an overnight player. You're not even aware that he's a beast and considered a top 5 NT. He's so athletic at 350 that Houston played him all over their DLine.

Honestly, you're making a fool out of yourself. Just quit.
Lol, if he’s so great then why didn’t Houston keep him???

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We need to start looking for pieces, not stopgaps. Problem w/ Poe/McCoy/Haha is that they were all stopgaps. What did we spend on them total, around 15 mil? Seems about right.

Meanwhile, Cincy signs top 5 DJ Reader for a measly 53 mil/4 years. Can you imagine him and Galley shoring up the middle? Talk about a nightmare for opposing D's.

What I'm saying is, fix something in FA. Signing stopgaps is not what we need at present, we need players who fix an issue.
its the defensive evaluation process that's flawed.....bunch of other players were signed for similar price and produced...we just don't know how to evaluate defensive players. and to your point, for that same money we could have kept Byron Jones and go into the draft not needing a CB pick.....imagine that...