Burress suspended by the Giants for 4 games *Merge*

Big Dakota

Reaction score
YoMick;2458132 said:
Would anyone really be suprised if he played in their 1st playoff game after the bye.

I wouldnt.

I'd be real surprised considering the Giants say he is done for the remainder of the season.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Giants suspend troubled Burress for four gamesEAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress is done for the year.The New York Giants fined and suspended Burress on Tuesday for four games — the rest of the regular season — after he accidentally shot himself in the right thigh over the weekend at a Manhattan nightclub. The team also placed him on the reserve non-football injury list, which means the wide receiver couldn't come back for playoffs, either.The team punished Burress a day after he was charged with illegal weapons possession, which carries a penalty of 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison. He is due back in court on March 31.Burress arrived at Giants Stadium on Tuesday morning, and met individually with Giants president John Mara, general manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin. He left for a medical test and returned in the afternoon for another brief session with team officials."As we have said since Saturday morning, our concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being," Mara said. "This is an important time for him to take care of his body and heal up and also deal with the very serious legal consequences and other issues in his life. When I spoke with Plaxico he expressed great remorse for letting down his teammates."Neither Burress nor his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was immediately available for comment.Dr. Scott Rodeo, a team physician, examined Burress on Tuesday and told the Giants that the gunshot wound would have sidelined the 31-year-old player for 4-to-6 weeks."I had two conversations with Plaxico today, and it was obvious that he understood the magnitude of this situation," Reese said. "He knows that we are here to support him and help him get healthy."This is the second time the Giants suspended Burress this season. He missed the Oct. 2 game against Seattle for missing a team meeting. He also has been fined dozens of times since 2005 for violating team rules, and he was hit with a $45,000 fine by the league for abusing an official and throwing a ball into the stands during a game."Our concern all along has been for Plaxico the person, not Plaxico the player," team chairman Steve Tisch said. "We are here to support him and his family as he recovers from his wound and deals with some serious issues."

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I just wonder how many different user names Nors is going to be allowed to have. If he makes one for each of his personalities membership will likely double.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2458150 said:
I just wonder how many different user names Nors is going to be allowed to have. If he makes one for each of his personalities membership will likely double.

Which one is it now? Or which ones?

2much2soon

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2458124 said:
Was just reading the article on ESPN and it was saying how no jail time with probation, fine and community service is very common in NY for first time offerders of a felony. I'm sure Plax will be gunning for that type of deal, pun intended;)

With all due respect to a certain former Cowboy, 'What do mandatory mean'?

Aikbach

Reaction score
Sounds like he really shot himself in the foot this time;):D:p:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Everyone is saying that this "won't affect the Giants".

That is straight up false.

Who beat Green Bay, pretty much by himself, by abusing Al Harris?

Who scored the game winning TD in the Super Bowl?

What did Burress have in the playoff game in Dallas? 5 yards ?

This is a big blow to that team. Now, other players will get extra attention.

Look at what we can do to them.

Newman on Hixon

Scandrick on Smith

Jenkins on Toomer

Henry on Boss

Pacman available

This will enable the Cowboys to stuff their running game even more.

Plus, Osi Umenyiora's loss will be felt before this is all said and done. Look at the Cleveland game.

Section446

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2458071 said:
:rolleyes: ...and yet they dealt with a cokehead, Lawrence Taylor, for years. I know, a different coach and a different time, but still...
Please, we have no place to talk when it comes to dealing with problem players. Hell, we're still doing it.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Primetime42;2458093 said:
Trust me on this, Hos. He's done.

I have this directly from someone with access to the Giants lockerroom.

Ok, then confirm if the suspension is this season or next, because if its this season then the whole 4 game suspension is a sham and publicity face saver.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Dreadnought94;2458165 said:
Please, we have no place to talk when it comes to dealing with problem players. Hell, we're still doing it.

Nobody on this team has been arrested in 2 seasons. We have the cleanest legal record of any team in the NFL over that period of time.

SDogo

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2458173 said:
Ok, then confirm if the suspension is this season or next, because if its this season then the whole 4 game suspension is a sham and publicity face saver.

From what I gathered just now on ESPN he is done this season because he was placed on the reserve non-football injury list and the suspension would be for the first 4 games of next season.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2458179 said:
From what I gathered just now on ESPN he is done this season because he was placed on the reserve non-football injury list and the suspension would be for the first 4 games of next season.

That would make sense in regards to them going after the signing bonus. The Giants are thru with him. We knew that when we heard the Giants front office ratted to the police on the guy.

And once you're on the non-football injury list you are gone for the year.

SDogo

Reaction score
jobberone;2458188 said:
That would make sense in regards to them going after the signing bonus. The Giants are thru with him. We knew that when we heard the Giants front office ratted to the police on the guy.

And once you're on the non-football injury list you are gone for the year.

Sal or what ever his name is on ESPN basically said he got every indication from front office people that Burress is done in NY.

Section446

Reaction score
RoadRunner;2458174 said:
Nobody on this team has been arrested in 2 seasons. We have the cleanest legal record of any team in the NFL over that period of time.
Do you have a link for that? I'd be interested in seeing how all the teams stack up. By the way, are you denying that the Cowboys have problem players on the team right now?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wow.

Gotta give the Giants props for doing this. Screw up? Gone.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2458237 said:
Wow.

Gotta give the Giants props for doing this. Screw up? Gone.

Yep they jumped all over this one. They are also trying to do as much as possible to keep the commish off their backs. Buress will never play for NYG again.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2458066 said:
He'll be back in time for the playoffs.

This is what I was going to say.

Displaced Cowboy;2458080 said:
Non-football injury list ends his season.

Can't play in the playoffs.

Until I saw this.

Good move by the Giants and I'll be shocked if he's not suspended for all of next year as well by the league.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
jobberone;2458251 said:
Yep they jumped all over this one. They are also trying to do as much as possible to keep the commish off their backs. Buress will never play for NYG again.

I agree with this.

However, I wonder if they would have acted so quickly if they weren't having success on the football field without him.

Also, if they have no intention of using him again, why not just deactivate the guy? Are they fearful of the NFLPA?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jobberone;2458251 said:

Hello Raiders.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2458261 said:
Also, if they have no intention of using him again, why not just deactivate the guy? Are they fearful of the NFLPA?

Might as well pick up a roster spot.

Also the NFI list, I believe allows them to not pay him because, after all, he got hurt because he's an idiot.