Burress suspended by the Giants for 4 games *Merge*

boyzjunkie

Reaction score
So who is going to be first, besides me, lol, to suggest how awesome it would be for Tony to look downfield and have his choice between T.O. and Burress going deep?

Big Dakota

Reaction score
boyzjunkie;2458311 said:
So who is going to be first, besides me, lol, to suggest how awesome it would be for Tony to look downfield and have his choice between T.O. and Burress going deep?

I think you're gonna be by your lonesome on this one.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2458261 said:
I agree with this.

However, I wonder if they would have acted so quickly if they weren't having success on the football field without him.

Also, if they have no intention of using him again, why not just deactivate the guy? Are they fearful of the NFLPA?

AbeBeta;2458287 said:
Might as well pick up a roster spot.

Also the NFI list, I believe allows them to not pay him because, after all, he got hurt because he's an idiot.

Putting him on the non-football injury list allows them to get him away from the team for the rest of the season and helps propel them in starting to recoup the signing bonus. They don't have to pay him for those games. And by the time the law and commish gets thru with him he is out of NYG.

They jumped all over this.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
boyzjunkie;2458311 said:

:lmao2:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Big Dakota;2458141 said:
I'd be real surprised considering the Giants say he is done for the remainder of the season.

It did say "regular" season :laugh2:

So......

AbeBeta;2458237 said:
Wow.

Gotta give the Giants props for doing this. Screw up? Gone.

I dont know if I would give props.
This guy has been trouble for a while and they have been eating it.
Didnt they give him more money in New deal when he didnt deserve it?

They look stupid now.

Now.... we gotta get Pierce off the field.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
YoMick;2458328 said:
It did say "regular" season :laugh2:

So......

I dont know if I would give props.
This guy has been trouble for a while and they have been eating it.
Didnt they give him more money in New deal when he didnt deserve it?

They look stupid now.

Now.... we gotta get Pierce off the field.

Out of curiosity, why do they look stupid now?

Should they have cut the guy for missing practices and being late several times?

The trouble the guy is in now is way more serious then his prior infractions.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2458333 said:
Out of curiosity, why do they look stupid now?

Should they have cut the guy for missing practices and being late several times?

The trouble the guy is in now is way more serious then his prior infractions.

They shouldnt have given him the money = they look stupid now.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This is an outrage.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Figures that biased Roger Goodell would fail to take action AGAIN, forcing the Giants to suspend the guy.

:rolleyes:

gmoney112

Reaction score
the giants organization actually earned a little respect for this move. they did the right thing. comparing pacman to burress is a little ridiculous imo. pacman punching the bodyguard was stupid yeah, but he didn't pack heat into a nightclub in literally the worst place in the country to do it.

it's funny he tried to say he was in applebees lol ***?? you can't carry heat into applebees either since they have a bar and serve alcohol. not really sure where he was going with that

txlonghorn14

Reaction score
He'll be cut loose by the Giants at the end of the season, probably won't do any jail time, and most likely will be an Oakland Raider next season. At least the heat is off Pacman for a while........

:mchammer:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2458417 said:
Wow, Dallas should beat these fools....

The thing that really sucks is that they lose great players ... Shockey, Strahan, Osi ... and they still win.

Honestly, I think unless Eli, Tuck, and half the OL go down then they will still be strong.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
txlonghorn14;2458437 said:
He'll be cut loose by the Giants at the end of the season, probably won't do any jail time, and most likely will be an Oakland Raider next season. At least the heat is off Pacman for a while........

:mchammer:

as he committed this crime in NY rather than Texas, he likely will have to do time

txlonghorn14

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2458441 said:
as he committed this crime in NY rather than Texas, he likely will have to do time

Yea NY has very strict laws against the use of concealed handguns without a permit. I was listening to a legal analyst on ESPN today and he stated that he was being charged with the type of felony in which "intent" is required to prove his guilt. In any case, the facts are stacked against Burress, seeing that he knowingly carried the pistol into the club in a city that has a mandatory sentence of 3 1/2 years for unlicensed carry of a handgun. I just think he won't see any serious time due to the fact he's a star wide receiver (or was) for the NY Giants and helped them win a Super Bowl last year. I'm curious to see how serious the NYC District Attorney is going to take this case.

If it was down here in good 'ol TEXAS, he coulda just said he was "travelling" to and from his vehicle with the gun, and in that case you cannot be charged with unlawful carrying of a weapon!

Don Corleone

Reaction score
txlonghorn14;2458454 said:
Yea NY has very strict laws against the use of concealed handguns without a permit. I was listening to a legal analyst on ESPN today and he stated that he was being charged with the type of felony in which "intent" is required to prove his guilt. In any case, the facts are stacked against Burress, seeing that he knowingly carried the pistol into the club in a city that has a mandatory sentence of 3 1/2 years for unlicensed carry of a handgun. I just think he won't see any serious time due to the fact he's a star wide receiver (or was) for the NY Giants and helped them win a Super Bowl last year. I'm curious to see how serious the NYC District Attorney is going to take this case.

If it was down here in good 'ol TEXAS, he coulda just said he was "travelling" to and from his vehicle with the gun, and in that case you cannot be charged with unlawful carrying of a weapon!

NY Mayor Bloomberg already came out and said that Burress will get no special treatment because he's a star. The Mayor of New York is the Godfather (heck I should know), so Burress is pretty much doomed.

ladiewolve

Reaction score
EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker)—Plaxico Burress reported to Giants Stadium to learn his season is over.
The New York Giants placed Burress on the reserve/non-football injury list Tuesday, officially ending his season.
The anticipated move came one day after Burress was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon after suffering a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a Manhattan nightclub the previous weekend.
The Giants fined Burress and suspended him for four games for conduct detrimental to the team for multiple and repeated violations of club rules.
Should the defending Super Bowl champions make the playoffs, which is a mere formality given their 11-1 record, Burress will not be allowed to return to the Giants’ active list.
“As we have said since Saturday morning, our concern is for Plaxico’s health and well-being,” Giants president John Mara said. “This is an important time for him to take care of his body and heal up and also deal with the very serious legal consequences and other issues in his life.

[SIZE=-2] [/SIZE]

“When I spoke with Plaxico, he expressed great remorse for letting down his teammates.”
It marked the second suspension this season for Burress, who likely has played his final game in a Giants uniform.
One of the heroes of New York’s surprising victory in Super Bowl XLII, Burress posted $100,000 bail Monday after being charged with second-degree criminal possession of a weapon - a Glock semiautomatic pistol - and third-degree possession for carrying the ammunition clip.
Both are Class C felonies, for which Burress could be sentenced to a mandatory minimum of 3 1/2 years in jail if convicted.
Per league rules, Burress was required to report to work Tuesday to receive mandatory treatment on both the gunshot wound and the strained right hamstring that initially sidelined him for this past Sunday’s game against the Washington Commanders.
The veteran wide receiver, who caught the winning pass in Super Bowl XLII, met with Mara, general manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin to learn of his fate.
After undergoing treatment on his leg, Burress was sent to Dr. Scott Rodeo for an MRI exam on his injured leg. He returned to Giants Stadium shortly after 3 p.m. and was informed by Reese that he was being placed on the reserve/non-football injury list.
“The decision we made today regarding Plaxico’s roster status was based on the examination of Plaxico by our team physician,” Reese said. “Dr. Rodeo believes Plaxico would be out at least four to six weeks with the gunshot wound.
“I had two conversations with Plaxico today, and it was obvious that he understood the magnitude of this situation. He knows that we are here to support him and help him get healthy.”
Coughlin said no one player can replace Burress in the starting lineup.
“When you lose a player of Plaxico’s ability, it is incumbent that everybody step up and fill the void,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. “In the last two seasons, this team has done an outstanding job of that. We made it clear to Plax today that we are here to support him in any way possible.”
Burress turned himself in to detectives at New York City’s 17th Precinct in midtown Manhattan on Monday, where he was charged with criminal possession of a weapon following a shooting incident late Friday night at the Latin Quarter nightclub.
According to police reports, Burress shot himself in the thigh and was hospitalized overnight before he was released at about 2 p.m. Saturday.
A police spokesman said the investigation is continuing.
Burress and teammate Antonio Pierce were at the Latin Quarter when the shooting occurred. Pierce, appearing on New York radio station WFAN late Monday afternoon, pleaded with the public to “don’t believe everything you hear.”
A first-round pick of the Pittsburgh in 2000, Burress spent his first five seasons with the Steelers before joining the Giants in 2005.
Burress had a pair of 1,000-yard seasons with New York, and hauled in a career-high 12 touchdown passes in 2007 despite not practicing for virtually the entire season due to a gimpy ankle.
In the Giants’ stunning 17-14 victory over then-unbeaten New England in the Super Bowl, Burress caught a 13-yard scoring pass from Eli Manning with 35 seconds to play to provide the winning margin.
But matters have spiraled downward this season for Burress, who finished with 41 receptions for 454 yards and four touchdowns this year.
Burress, who signed a five-year, $35 million contract extension prior to the season, missed the Giants’ October 5 game against the Seattle Seahawks after being suspended for missing a team meeting.
He also was involved in a sideline confrontation with Coughlin during a game and has been fined multiple times for a total of approximately $200,000.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
A troubled young man who garners very little sympathy. Surely somebody could have helped him when this all started.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
You know I was thinking yesterday, while talking to a friend, that if he gets any jail time, or winds up suspended by the league for next season after this all shakes out, the dude could potentially be 33 years old, at best, by the next time he allowed on a football field. By that point his career would essentially be over anyway cause of being a headcase, having an injury prone last couple of seasons prior to all this. If he winds up with a big suspension for the league, for next year, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he never played another down of NFL ball.