Butch Davis would love to coach the Dallas Cowboys if Bill Parcells retires

Bone

Reaction score
For our sakes, we'd better hope that never happens.

Bone
out.

CanadaBoys

Reaction score
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Stautner

Reaction score
I think he would be much better than several of the coaches we've had - particularly the Christmas elf that replaced Davis as defensive coordinator before becoming head coach - but he still wouldn't be high on my list.

cc cowboy

Reaction score
Don't say nooooo to quickly. Remember that Belicheck (sp) was not too good at Cleveland his first try either.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
All i know is the University of miami fans are dying for butch davis to come back. Coker is gone after this season. Butch is a better suited for the college ranks.

Stautner

Reaction score
cc cowboy said:
Don't say nooooo to quickly. Remember that Belicheck (sp) was not too good at Cleveland his first try either.

In fairness to Butch, he didn't inherit a very good team. Not only that, but the team hadn't been very good in a very long time, which suggests more than just coaching flaws, but weaknesses in personnel and management.

Stautner

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Landry would roll over in his grave.

Landry never knew Butch Davis, so I'm not sure that's true. Besides, Davis has a better resume' than Landry did when Clint Murchison hired him.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Like I posted in the other thread on this subject, Butch was Jerry's second choice to succeed Jimmy in 1994, so this isn't that far-fetched.

Where Butch struggles, I think, is in player evaluation. Jimmy even alluded to that one time saying, "Butch never saw a player he didn't like." He's just not critical enough.

Jerry and Butch together on draft day scares the crap out of me, but I wouldn't mind Butch coaching.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
If I were making a list of potential realistic choices for Next Head Coach... Butch would probably fall into the top 25.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
miamicowboy21 said:
All i know is the University of miami fans are dying for butch davis to come back. Coker is gone after this season. Butch is a better suited for the college ranks.

I can't believe how bad Coker has been-- what a car wreck.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stautner said:
Landry never knew Butch Davis, so I'm not sure that's true. Besides, Davis has a better resume' than Landry did when Clint Murchison hired him.
Not quite the point I was making. I'm sure he rolled several times when he saw such a proud franchise under the guidance of Campo.

Needless to say I'm not impressed by Butch Davis. His college coaching career might have been successful. His professional career is not quite as stellar.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chief said:
Like I posted in the other thread on this subject, Butch was Jerry's second choice to succeed Jimmy in 1994, so this isn't that far-fetched.

Where Butch struggles, I think, is in player evaluation. Jimmy even alluded to that one time saying, "Butch never saw a player he didn't like." He's just not critical enough.

Jerry and Butch together on draft day scares the crap out of me, but I wouldn't mind Butch coaching.

I agree. He might not be a bad coach (as long as he had strong X's and O's guys on the staff to help him out), but this guy should not be anywhere near the draft room.

He just can't help himself when it comes to "coaching up" a talented project (see William Green). Really, he should stick to college where he'll have 25-30 scholarships to hand out every year and he could just run off the kids who can't cut the mustard, which is pretty much what he did at Miami.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Landry would roll over in his grave.

No he wouldn't. He's already seen Dave Campo coach the cowboys. The rolling has already occured.