Buy or Sell? BUYER BEWARE ON BUSH?

Hiero

Reaction score
yep i think he will be really good, they just cannot overuse him like they have to so many young rb's. no kr/pr.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
I think it Houston drafts him and does not upgrade the Oline, he will be a marginal talent, showing some falshes, but nott able to maintain it on any regularity. Houston needs to trade down 1 or 2 spots and get D'Brickashaw. Or go after Oline in FA heavy. Then Bush would be a nice addition. But till they have a line, they have nothing in Houston.

otherwise, Bush will be the number 1 pick and a superstar in the league.

If I were R Bush and the Taxscums drafted me I'd hold out until they traded me... I'd have to take up pro badminton or something until my number was called elsewhere... I see him playing in SF next year.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I believe that they need two tackles and a Guard. I like Wiegert OK and I like McKinney but the rest don't really impress me to much. Good tackles are nto cheap and there not usually easy to find. I think they need to draft a LT and possibly sign a RT in FA. I think they need to do the same for a guard.

I also think the move with Reeves is interesting. I'm not certain that Casserly or Don Capers will be calling all the shots in Houston for the upcoming draft. If you were going to bring a guy in who was going to manage your draft, right now would be a good time to do it. Would give him an opportunity to see the current roster for the last three games. See who still wants to play and who's mailing it in. See the teams weakness' up close and be ready to start breaking down film on College prospects.

Should be interesting.

Re-tooling their line will take at least two off seasons to do anyway. That is whether they take Bush or not.

conner01

Reaction score
i think bush's success will depend on how he is used. if you run him 25 times,kr,pr,theni think he will have a tough time staying healthy. if you use him like the eagles use westbrook, as a pass option out in space he will be unstopable.if i had him, contract aside, i would use him on 12-15 runs, 5-6 passes out of the backfield or lined up outside, and kr, and pr in return siruations. i would'nt pound him up the middle 25-30 times a game and wear him downm

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Re-tooling their line will take at least two off seasons to do anyway. That is whether they take Bush or not.

I don't think so. I think that if they took a guy like Ferguson this year, they could probably sign a RT and a Guard. RT is a lot easier to sign then LT. They could draft a little depth in the OL, bring it along and still be pretty well set with some Vets. If they Trade down, they could probably take a corner stone LT, a quality Guard, a nice young TE like maybe Fasano, probably pick up a nice DB or two as well. They could fix alot of what ailes them through a trade down IMO. Dominic Davis is not `a bad back. He will have another thousand yard season this year. That will be his third in three years. This guy is not bad. I just see there issues as solvable if they can make a good trade down. This team could compete in two years IMO. If you don't invest in the OL now, I think your in a situation where you'll need to draft a franchise QB again. How expensive will that be?

joseephuss

Reaction score
conner01 said:
i think bush's success will depend on how he is used. if you run him 25 times,kr,pr,theni think he will have a tough time staying healthy. if you use him like the eagles use westbrook, as a pass option out in space he will be unstopable.if i had him, contract aside, i would use him on 12-15 runs, 5-6 passes out of the backfield or lined up outside, and kr, and pr in return siruations. i would'nt pound him up the middle 25-30 times a game and wear him downm

Very few guys actually rush the ball 25 to 30 times a game. That is 400 to 480 carries a season. Emmitt toted the rock quite a bit and the most carries he ever had had in a single season was 377 or 23.6 times a game. Bush probably could and should be used to get the ball about 25 times a game. Like you said, 12-15 runs, 5-6 receptions and return duties.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
The only way I would ever say no to Reggie Bush is if he says yes to the Postons or Rosenhaus.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Saying "No" to a talent like Bush would be very difficult to do. I feel he is the type of RB that you see once a decade.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Just another writer trying to make a splash by going against conventional and universal wisdom :)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Saying "No" to a talent like Bush would be very difficult to do. I feel he is the type of RB that you see once a decade.

If this were the NFL of the 80s, I would probably agree with you. In this day and age, I don't believe that the RB position is as influencial as it once was. The running game is important, no question, but it doesn't dominate the game the way it once did. JMO.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
There is, after all, a huge difference between the Pac-10 and the NFL. Some of Bush's best work in 2005 came against collections of football players who wouldn't last a morning in an NFL minicamp. When Reggie starts to get banged around by the big boys, will he still be as effective?
I always love this argument, i.e., discrediting a college player's accomplishments for the level of his opponents. What about those other 200 college RBs? They were going against the same college defenses and didn't put up big numbers. Bottom line is: he's the best among his peers. Assuming he won't do the same at a higher level is playing AGAINST the odds.

And as far as Houston trading down to get more picks for linemen, ANY general manager who does this would lose his job. It's fun to theorize about, and it makes you look like a football guy cause you said that O-line matters more than skill positions, BUT it ain't gonna happen. Not unless its a Rivers-Eli thing where they would be getting a roughly equivalent player PLUS more. No such option here.

joseephuss

Reaction score
theogt said:
I always love this argument, i.e., discrediting a college player's accomplishments for the level of his opponents. What about those other 200 college RBs? They were going against the same college defenses and didn't put up big numbers. Bottom line is: he's the best among his peers. Assuming he won't do the same at a higher level is playing AGAINST the odds.

And as far as Houston trading down to get more picks for linemen, ANY general manager who does this would lose his job. It's fun to theorize about, and it makes you look like a football guy cause you said that O-line matters more than skill positions, BUT it ain't gonna happen. Not unless its a Rivers-Eli thing where they would be getting a roughly equivalent player PLUS more. No such option here.

I don't agree. To assume he will be as dominate and dynamic in the pros isn't going against the odds. There have been many running backs that were dominant in college and did nothing in the pros. I think the odds are that he won't have that same type of success if you base it on the past performances of top backs going to the next level. Or past Heisman trophy winners.

The track record of Heismn winners hasn't been that great when getting to the NFL. Now the track record of Heisman trophy winning running backs from USC has been very good at the NFL level. So he has that going for him. Looking at every thing he has done is what makes him look promising.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Houston trades the one they have, takes him, and uses the pick they get for o-lineman. No way you pass on this guy, Bears might have not been to play offs but oh do we have memories, you know in my day they said that about Earl Campbell, he didn't get super bowl ring either, but oh man the memories. I was living in Houston at the time and the guys did their off season work running up and down the bayou in front of my appartment, saw such guys as 00-Kenny Burrow, Mike Renfro and many other NFL's, Earl was always the first there and the last to leave, he was in the most incredible shape I have ever seen an athlete in, to do what he did in the summer in Houston, amazing. Point is Bush might actually turn out to be that good, imagine that. Besides how many duds have Dallas and others thrown money at. I mean Eddie George and how many defensive lineman that couldn't smell a QB, how about Riviera--who has he pancaked lately..

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
joseephuss said:

Absolutely.......Looking at the Houston OL reminds me of my bad hair days...Heck just shave it all off and start all over. :(

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:

LOL....

This, to me, is funny. Any General Manager who trades down would lose his job. That the way it works does it?

This doesn't hold water at all and I can easily sight several situations where this has occured. The big picture, for Houston is QB. Where are they with there QB? IMO, that should drive the direction of what this team does. They can take Bush and nobody would question that but if Carr goes down in flames, that will cost somebody there job. Might already have cost someone there job and we just don't know it. I think you underestimate the value of a franchise LT. It's not like they grow on trees either. If Houston decides to trade down, they will get excellent value for there pick. Of this, I have very little doubt.

That is my opinion of the matter.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I don't agree. To assume he will be as dominate and dynamic in the pros isn't going against the odds. There have been many running backs that were dominant in college and did nothing in the pros. I think the odds are that he won't have that same type of success if you base it on the past performances of top backs going to the next level. Or past Heisman trophy winners.

The track record of Heismn winners hasn't been that great when getting to the NFL. Now the track record of Heisman trophy winning running backs from USC has been very good at the NFL level. So he has that going for him. Looking at every thing he has done is what makes him look promising.
Will he be as dominant in the NFL as in college? Of course, not. That's not what I said. Will he be the best player in the draft? Thinking otherwise is just plain idiocy. Oh, and take a gander over at the past Heisman RBs. 80+% went on to meet or exceed expectations. I like those odds. Not to mention, of all the Heisman RB winners of the past 30 years or so, Bush is the most impressive.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think you underestimate the value of a franchise LT. It's not like they grow on trees either.
You can't forget they have the #1 pick in the second round as well. There should be at least a couple potential "franchise" LTs hanging around come pick 33. Would a GM ever get fired for passing on Bush? We'll never know cause it ain't gonna happen.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Absolutely.......Looking at the Houston OL reminds me of my bad hair days...Heck just shave it all off and start all over. :(

You still have hair?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
Will he be as dominant in the NFL as in college? Of course, not. That's not what I said. Will he be the best player in the draft? Thinking otherwise is just plain idiocy. Oh, and take a gander over at the past Heisman RBs. 80+% went on to meet or exceed expectations. I like those odds. Not to mention, of all the Heisman RB winners of the past 30 years or so, Bush is the most impressive.

I would not agree with this at all. This stuff about the best RB anybody has ever seen is a bit far fetched to me. When Archie Griffen came out of Ohio State, everybody said the same thing. Not so much. When Hershel Walker came out of Georgia, everybody said the same thing. Not so much. When Bo Jackson came out of Auburn, he was on his way but a funny thing happened on the way to the bus station. Only a few years ago, everybody was saying the same kind of things about Clarrett, as a freshman.

Things happen.