Buy or Sell? BUYER BEWARE ON BUSH?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
You can't forget they have the #1 pick in the second round as well. There should be at least a couple potential "franchise" LTs hanging around come pick 33. Would a GM ever get fired for passing on Bush? We'll never know cause it ain't gonna happen.

Franchise LTs get taken in the first round normally. Yes, it's possible that you could pick up a LT in the second but it's not a certainty.

A trade down may or may not happen. At this point, nobody knows what will happen with any certainty. It is all speculation wheather you care to admit this or not.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I would not agree with this at all. This stuff about the best RB anybody has ever seen is a bit far fetched to me. When Archie Griffen came out of Ohio State, everybody said the same thing. Not so much. When Hershel Walker came out of Georgia, everybody said the same thing. Not so much. When Bo Jackson came out of Auburn, he was on his way but a funny thing happened on the way to the bus station. Only a few years ago, everybody was saying the same kind of things about Clarrett, as a freshman.

Things happen.
People don't always live up to their expectations. What a novel concept. Passing on what 99% believe to be one of the best college players ever? Now that, sarcasm aside, *is* a novel concept. There's a reason for that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
People don't always live up to their expectations. What a novel concept. Passing on what 99% believe to be one of the best college players ever? Now that, sarcasm aside, *is* a novel concept. There's a reason for that.

You seem to be very liberal about the numbers you are doling out. I have yet to hear from even 10% of NFL personel people, let alone a consencise of 99%. I think your basing evaluation on opinion, at this point. Is Bush talented? Without question. Is he the most talented player in this draft? Possibly but there is not definative answer at this point. You are basing your evaluations on little more then propaganda put out buy the networks. His production, while impressive, is not the best I've ever seen. His physical skills are impressive but he's not more electric then Barry Sanders was. I would say that even Tony Dorsett had better moves while at Pitt.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
You seem to be very liberal about the numbers you are doling out. I have yet to hear from even 10% of NFL personel people, let alone a consencise of 99%. I think your basing evaluation on opinion, at this point. Is Bush talented? Without question. Is he the most talented player in this draft? Possibly but there is not definative answer at this point. You are basing your evaluations on little more then propaganda put out buy the networks. His production, while impressive, is not the best I've ever seen. His physical skills are impressive but he's not more electric then Barry Sanders was. I would say that even Tony Dorsett had better moves while at Pitt.
Thanks for mischaracterizing my opinion. Perhaps I should have stated early on that I've based MY opinion on him being the best in the upcoming draft on watching him (and most other top prospects) myself. Not only that, but at some point you actually do have to look at stats, which have one clear cut winner. You may think otherwise (but I suspect you don't, and are just arguing for argument's sake), but rest assured that if you do you certainly hold the minority opinion.

As for my "99%" comment, you're right. It's probably closer to 98%. I should have taken those UT homers into account.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
Thanks for mischaracterizing my opinion. Perhaps I should have stated early on that I've based MY opinion on him being the best in the upcoming draft on watching him (and most other top prospects) myself. Not only that, but at some point you actually do have to look at stats, which have one clear cut winner. You may think otherwise (but I suspect you don't, and are just arguing for argument's sake), but rest assured that if you do you certainly hold the minority opinion.

As for my "99%" comment, you're right. It's probably closer to 98%. I should have taken thouse UT homers into account.

All very nice but lets stick to the discussion. I can see you want to take this into the weeds. I have mischaracterized nothing. You said 99% and I'm simply wondering where you get this number from. To my knowledge, the combines have not even taken place so actual physical specs are not available yet. Times and agility are not available yet. While I appriciate your opinion of the player, being the best you've seen, I suspect that you are not an NFL talent evaluator. I suspect you have little to no knowledge of what actually goes into the thought process of one Houston Texans decision process on the 2006 draft. If I'm wrong here, I can be resonable. You are opinionated in the extreme. I can live with that. I'm simply asking you to prove your worth on the statistics you throw out. I will even accept any credible proof on the 98% number. If you would rather consider me to be a UT homer, that's fine. I'm certain it will make your position easier for you to live with.

ghst187

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Emmitt was not small, he was short. There is a difference. Dorsett was small. Both were effective, both were different and both were special. That is what made them succesful.

Bush is a special college back. The difficult part is projecting him as a special pro back. Looks like he could be or in the least be an effective back. Just like anyone drafted, it is a bit of a crap shoot. There are no guarantees. I have always beleived it is easier to project a guy to end up a bust than it is to project them to end up being a great player. That is why articles like this are written. Who knows? I would take a chance on Bush.

I think Bush could be an MVP candidate in a few years but it will take a coach that can utilize him well. You can't expect him to pound it between the tackles 30x a game but you can give him a mix of 12-15 carries, a reverse or two, and split him wide and throw the ball to him 5 or 6 more times a game. The guy runs like a mix of Barry Sanders and Michael Vick.
When you dominate top-notch college talent to the extent Bush has....it'll be a coach's fault if Bush doesn't do VERY well in the pros....I think it's silly to knock him given the utter and complete domination he's inflicted on the college ranks. Matt Leinert's name is not widely known and USC has only one split-national championship instead of the 3 back to backs (that they're about to have) without Bush....he's a special player and he'll produce in the pros.....JMO.

Verdict

Reaction score
Its pretty simple. They draft o-linemen early and often and spend free agency dollars there. With the skill position players they have there, and an o-line they could be a surprise team in 2006. They are more than a year away though so 2007 draft could be spent on defense.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
All very nice but lets stick to the discussion. I can see you want to take this into the weeds. I have mischaracterized nothing. You said 99% and I'm simply wondering where you get this number from. To my knowledge, the combines have not even taken place so actual physical specs are not available yet. Times and agility are not available yet. While I appriciate your opinion of the player, being the best you've seen, I suspect that you are not an NFL talent evaluator. I suspect you have little to no knowledge of what actually goes into the thought process of one Houston Texans decision process on the 2006 draft. If I'm wrong here, I can be resonable. You are opinionated in the extreme. I can live with that. I'm simply asking you to prove your worth on the statistics you throw out. I will even accept any credible proof on the 98% number. If you would rather consider me to be a UT homer, that's fine. I'm certain it will make your position easier for you to live with.
Hyperbole. Look it up. After that, remove the stick. Like I said before, you hold a minority opinion if you don't think, at this moment, Bush is the best player in the coming draft. As far as combines go, many teams have been burned by placing too much emphasis on combine stats. Though certainly necessary in evaluating players, an "NFL talent evaluator" would be exercising poor judgment if s/he relied solely (or heavily) on combine performance.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
jay cee said:
I can see his points, but most knee injuries back then were difficult to overcome. That's what cut Sayers career short.

I just don't think it is smart to pass on a player that you project to be a hall of famer. I have not seen much of Bush, but from what I have read, most people seem to think that he can play at that level.

Exactly. If Sayers played today he could have had a 10 year career. If Willis McGahee played in 1967, his career would have been over after the Orange Bowl.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
theogt said:
Hyperbole. Look it up. After that, remove the stick. Like I said before, you hold a minority opinion if you don't think, at this moment, Bush is the best player in the coming draft. As far as combines go, many teams have been burned by placing too much emphasis on combine stats. Though certainly necessary in evaluating players, an "NFL talent evaluator" would be exercising poor judgment if s/he relied solely (or heavily) on combine performance.

I'd really like to look it up but I'm to busy trying to confirm your 98 percent claim to fame.

I've been overly kind with you to this point. Now, your just getting tired and I have no inclination to put up with your sophomoric Bullshyt. The burden of proof is on you, not I. I am not so ignorant as to stipulate this player or that player is the best out there. Bush may be the best but that has yet to be seen. At the end of the day, your claims can not be proven one way or the other. Houston may draft him or they may not. Time will tell. One thing is certain, you are not the authority that will be consulted when that decision is made.

Thank you for playing. Please enjoy the rest of your evening.

;)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I'd really like to look it up but I'm to busy trying to confirm your 98 percent claim to fame.

I've been overly kind with you to this point. Now, your just getting tired and I have no inclination to put up with your sophomoric Bullshyt. The burden of proof is on you, not I. I am not so ignorant as to stipulate this player or that player is the best out there. Bush may be the best but that has yet to be seen. At the end of the day, your claims can not be proven one way or the other. Houston may draft him or they may not. Time will tell. One thing is certain, you are not the authority that will be consulted when that decision is made.

Thank you for playing. Please enjoy the rest of your evening.

;)
RE-read your post. Then RE-assess the sophomoric behavior.