Byron Jones hip surgery

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
So? He didnt kow he needed surgery 3 months ago? Hearing trade rumors and suddenly heeds surgery?

All players go through physical evaluations at year's end.

A specific medical plan is created for each guy.

Some conditions or injuries will respond to conservative therapy, so that is undertaken in those cases. If the injury does not respond, then surgery may be the next step.

So, we don't always know who needs surgery until other methods are tried and failed.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Going under the knife is always the last resort.
I'm sure at his exit meeting at the end of the year, the Cowboys medical staff laid out a plan with rest being option # 1.
It hasn't helped, option # 2 is now sugery. It's almost April. September is 6 months away - odds are, he'll be ready.
RELAX.

LittleD

Reaction score
By all accounts it was an issue that could potentially be resolved by rest and time. It wasn’t and surgery was done. I’d be more concerned if it was major surgery that he opted not to have at all due to his pending contract year. Byron is a stand up guy

The latest is that he will only be ready for TC and will miss all the pre-season training and mini-camps...Bad!

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Why do these players wait months to get surgery? Should have had it after they were eliminated by the Rams not into April. Smh

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Going under the knife is always the last resort.
I'm sure at his exit meeting at the end of the year, the Cowboys medical staff laid out a plan with rest being option # 1.
It hasn't helped, option # 2 is now sugery. It's almost April. September is 6 months away - odds are, he'll be ready.
RELAX.

No knife involved it is microscopic procedure. My son is having his done in a couple of weeks on an ankle. It is not that big of a deal

Verdict

Reaction score
Not necessarily. I mean, sometimes there are medical reasons why you don't want to have certain medical procedures done right after the season. Sometimes you have things like family issues or vacations or what have you, that are planned that you want to do and medical procedures basically prevent this. I mean, they have lives as well and you can't really ask them to put all that on ignore because that's why you play. You do this so you can put yourself in position to enjoy these kinds of things. To me, the important thing is to get these procedures done and be ready to play the next season. If that's no in jeopardy, I'm OK with the timing of this. JMO though.

Work has to come first. If they are making their living playing football then they should be doing everything they can to be in position to be available as much as possible.

I agree though that sometimes there may be medical reasons why a surgery is delayed. Some injuries could heal on their own.

Brooksey

Reaction score
He waited to see if non-surgery and rest would work, pretty normal stuff here. The injury explains his struggles in last few games, Byron is not going anywhere.

Hadenough

Reaction score
No wonder the Rams destroyed us. Seems like the only people on the field healthy for us was our LB's and Jeff Heath.
We can actually thank LVE for the Rams success at running. He would get caught up in the wash and was unable to shed his blocker.
I think LVE has ptsd over that pulling guard coming around like a road grader and taking him out every other play.The funny thing is coming out of college the knock on him was his inability to shed blockers.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Jones was having a great season and PFF had him at one point the top CB in the league. I wonder what game he hurt his hip.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hip surgery for a CB sounds bad.

The parallels between he and Lawrence are interesting. Both guys were busts their first couple seasons.

coult44

Reaction score
They are saying he'll be ready for training camp.

When your a freak athletically, the body is going to have problems. This man is like a cheetah or a super human robot, and eventually his parts are going to need to be oiled.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Great! That makes it a guarantee that he will get his first career in-coverage interception this coming season.